Baseball caps in restaurants

cruiser man 60

12 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

There are always a certain percentage of men who wear baseball hats to the buffet or MDR or specialty restaurants. 

I find it distasteful but whom am I to encroach on someone else's vacation enjoyment.  that said, I always think those folks are just covering up unwashed hair, the cruise ship equivalent of the walk of shame.  ha!

I've been asked to remove my hat in the MDR many times. I comply, grudgingly, but one time I was even asked to take off my NCL visor at O'Sheehan's. There were literally people in bathing suits and flip flops eating chicken wings 5 feet away, and my visor somehow detracts from the dignity of the environs? I told the hostess, "This isn't Le Bistro. I'm keeping my hat on," and that was the end of it. 

I think that baseball hats look silly everywhere except in a sports arena, not only in restaurants.

I think it look silly but I don't really care if other wants to use it.

For me it should feel much more embarrasing to wear a baseball hat than to show my thin hair!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that baseball hats look silly everywhere except in a sports arena, not only in restaurants.

I think it look silly but I don't really care if other wants to use it.

For me it should feel much more embarrasing to wear a baseball hat than to show my thin hair!

Whereas the fact I am fast going bald bothers me not one iota.

5 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

Thankfully Cagney's no longer allows caps while dining.

When did this change?  I was in Cagney's on the Escape last year and saw a multi-generational family eating dinner.  With both father and son wearing denim shorts and baseball caps and the son had his on backwards.

People that do this are just card carrying members of the me generation.  They don't realize that what they wear affects the ambiance in the establishment.  Many have blinders on and could care less what others wear, but I prefer to take a wide view instead of a myopic one.

Baseball hats on guys in America is pure Americana as apple pie and Chevrolet.  

I don't understand why people obsess what others are wearing while dining.  You could wear pajamas and I would not even notice or care.  I guess we need to turn the tables and be offended someone would get dressed up while freestyle cruising especially in the Caribbean.

True story.  I was on the job in Key West in a suit.  Walking down the street in Key West in a suit is not common.  So many people were yelling at me because I had a suit on.  Ha ha.  That's sort of how I feel about these kinds of threads.  People are on VACATION and want to relax.  Leave them be and let them take off the suit and tie or uniform and enjoy the ride

• Like 4

This is one of my biggest examples about how slovenly we've become as a society. My dad was adamant about never wearing his hat when he entered an establishment. He was an example of how a well-dressed and well-respected man should look and behave.  When I see baseball caps on guys' heads in a restaurant, I see him as sloven and lazy. It is definitely not attractive.  Hiding a bald head is one thing, I guess, but baldness is fashionable and attractive now (IMO) and so I don't buy it as an excuse.

I've said this here before and I'll state it again: I am a huge fan of The Sopranos. And although Tony Soprano lacked any semblance of civility or a moral compass, I actually applauded the scene in which he sees this guy in the restaurant wearing a baseball cap. Tony walks over to the guy and tells him to remove his hat. The guy looks at Tony stupidly because he doesn't see the problem (which is part of the problem). After withering looks from Tony, he finally removes the hat. Nevertheless,  you can tell the guy still doesn't get why it was an issue to Tony  because as far as the guy was concerned, there wasn't an issue. He was doing what he wanted to do (having been trained to believe in the "free to be me" mantra) and that no one has the right to call him on his unacceptable behavior. I could go on and on, but I'm just going to focus more on the joy of cruising, baseball caps on tacky men be damned!

• Like 1

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.  

I keep my hair high and tight and I do wear ballcaps extensively on vacation, mainly to avoid sunburn on the top of my dome.  when I enter the buffet I take the cap off and place it on my knee under the table. 

I'm with the commentator above who hates seeing caps on the dining tables.  ick. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, texastennis said:

This is one of my biggest examples about how slovenly we've become as a society. My dad was adamant about never wearing his hat when he entered an establishment. He was an example of how a well-dressed and well-respected man should look and behave.  When I see baseball caps on guys' heads in a restaurant, I see him as sloven and lazy. It is definitely not attractive.  Hiding a bald head is one thing, I guess, but baldness is fashionable and attractive now (IMO) and so I don't buy it as an excuse.

I've said this here before and I'll state it again: I am a huge fan of The Sopranos. And although Tony Soprano lacked any semblance of civility or a moral compass, I actually applauded the scene in which he sees this guy in the restaurant wearing a baseball cap. Tony walks over to the guy and tells him to remove his hat. The guy looks at Tony stupidly because he doesn't see the problem (which is part of the problem). After withering looks from Tony, he finally removes the hat. Nevertheless,  you can tell the guy still doesn't get why it was an issue to Tony  because as far as the guy was concerned, there wasn't an issue. He was doing what he wanted to do (having been trained to believe in the "free to be me" mantra) and that no one has the right to call him on his unacceptable behavior. I could go on and on, but I'm just going to focus more on the joy of cruising, baseball caps on tacky men be damned!

I remember that scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs

2 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.  

I keep my hair high and tight and I do wear ballcaps extensively on vacation, mainly to avoid sunburn on the top of my dome.  when I enter the buffet I take the cap off and place it on my knee under the table. 

I'm with the commentator above who hates seeing caps on the dining tables.  ick. 

a lot of people do not even know how to wear a baseball cap! some have them own backwards and others have them on sideways. i guess they think they are cool

8 minutes ago, NurseJEB said:

OK please explain to me what medical issue requires one to wear a hat in a dining facility.  I don't know of any.

Well when my father had brain cancer  his scalp and eyes were very sensitive to some of the lighting especially bright lights or even sometimes the heat from the lights hanging from lower ceilings.  While he wasn't a vain man he was aware of people who may have been uncomfortable to see the scarring and scabbing of his scalp especially when they were dining. It drew more attention then a cap. 

On 10/26/2018 at 1:13 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Even NCL doesn't allow baseball hats/visors in the MDR or specialty restaurants according to the dress code but I can't imagine the staff asking a guest to remove a hat.

As for the hats being used to hide baldness/receding hairline, I agree with your suspicion.

I inadvertently wore mine to dinner to the Manhattan room on the breakaway, I was asked by the hostess to remove my hat. I of course did, as I almost never wear my hat while eating (unless outside). This was a few years ago, so not sure if they would still ask.

A few years back, we were on a cruise with a big group.  One of the guys was blue collar and always wears a baseball cap because he's self-conscious about being bald.  He wore it at dinner, including Cagney's.  The thing is he's so self-conscious that we wouldn't have joined us without it.  In fact, we've never seen him without one.  So, don't assume that you or others are being disrespected because some guy's wearing a baseball cap.  None of us are perfect or live up to everybody else's expectations of what's right and wrong, especially when the only harm done is to your sense of what's proper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wdsted said:

A few years back, we were on a cruise with a big group.  One of the guys was blue collar and always wears a baseball cap because he's self-conscious about being bald.  He wore it at dinner, including Cagney's.  The thing is he's so self-conscious that we wouldn't have joined us without it.  In fact, we've never seen him without one.  So, don't assume that you or others are being disrespected because some guy's wearing a baseball cap.  None of us are perfect or live up to everybody else's expectations of what's right and wrong, especially when the only harm done is to your sense of what's proper.

I feel sorry for him, but I'd rather not see caps at dinner.  I hope he gets over his hang up.

Lost a cap once (not baseball, but a lovely linen flat cap) went to breakfast last morning, at first placed it on the chair next to me, another couple joined us, so I moved it to the floor, disembarked, almost to the car, looked at Mrs Gut and said “ahhhhh me cap” of well.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Never said I had a hang up over your lack of compassion towards others..... 

Does Norwegian make an exception for bald people, or cancer patients?  It's not my rule.  Look I feel sorry for anyone that has to wear a hat to feel better about themselves. 

I do wear a ball cap most of the time so I don't burn my old bald head. I do take it off while dining.

When I was a kid professional men wore hats and working class men wore caps. My father would never leave the house without a hat when going to work or church and a cap on saturday's or after church.

Before JFK made a bare head fashionable not wearing something on a mans head was considered weird.

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does Norwegian make an exception for bald people, or cancer patients?  It's not my rule.  Look I feel sorry for anyone that has to wear a hat to feel better about themselves. 

I'm sure they would make an exception if someone had a medical issue, like cancer, etc.

I also feel sorry for somrone who has to wear a hat to feel better about themselves.  Back in 2011, I had a brain tumor removed and had a 7 inch scar on my head, plus my head was shaved for the surgery.  Being a woman, it was pretty devastating and after about a month a friend made me get out of the house.  I wore a scarf and got so tired of folks staring at me or asking if I had breast cancer that the next time I went out, I went with my really, really short hair, no hat or scarf and just held my head up high.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I'm sure they would make an exception if someone had a medical issue, like cancer, etc.

I also feel sorry for somrone who has to wear a hat to feel better about themselves.  Back in 2011, I had a brain tumor removed and had a 7 inch scar on my head, plus my head was shaved for the surgery.  Being a woman, it was pretty devastating and after about a month a friend made me get out of the house.  I wore a scarf and got so tired of folks staring at me or asking if I had breast cancer that the next time I went out, I went with my really, really short hair, no hat or scarf and just held my head up high.

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I used to wear a hat when I went to work in downtown Chicago in the 90's.