Questions about Gratuities on AMA

katz

I would like to know how gratuities are paid on AMA. I am wondering about how much cash  I might have to have on hand.    Do we give gratuities directly to the staff?  What is the suggested amount? Also, is there a person who like a cruise director/tour guide?  What amount is suggested for that person?  And should the currency be in eruos?  We will start in Switzerland, Germany and Amsterdam.

Thank you for your help.

Just to underline the role/compensation of the Cruise Director:  he/she is an independent contractor who is not paid by the cruise line.  They work 25 hours a day [by my observation :classic_wink:] and are so exhausted at the end of the cruise that they can't work the next one [on AMA they also accompany both the pre- and post-cruise extension groups].  Even when their service wasn't 100% perfect, we have felt that they deserve every penny of AMA's guidelines.  The other guideline is divided among the entire crew, and we also felt this was deserved.  Also note the point in the AMA FAQ that on most ships you can charge these gratuities to your credit card.

Thank you for this information.  We have only sailed with Viking River Cruises.  I am surprised to hear that the cruise director is an independent contractor.  And, I do agree that they work very hard and deserve every penny.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, katz said:

I would like to know how gratuities are paid on AMA. I am wondering about how much cash  I might have to have on hand.    Do we give gratuities directly to the staff?  What is the suggested amount? Also, is there a person who like a cruise director/tour guide?  What amount is suggested for that person?  And should the currency be in eruos?  We will start in Switzerland, Germany and Amsterdam.

Thank you for your help.

We had the gratuities added to our account and paid by credit card.  We did give our Cruise Manager and some staff extra in the envelopes they provided. 

• 2 weeks later...