Hurtigruten - 11 day menu offerings

hallasm

Just for inspiration - the menu for 11 day sailing - autumn 2018

Hurtigruten Main Dining restaurant:

Breakfast: Buffets with hot dishes, freshly baked bread, fresh salmon, smoothies, yogurt, fruit, and locally produced cheeses. Coffee, tea, juice, milk and water included.

Lunch: Traditional local dishes, meat, fish and vegetarian dish. Freshly baked bread, locally produced cheese, large salad bar and a selection of seafood. Desserts and cakes as sweet finish. Coffee, tea and water included.

Dinner: Three-course dinners or buffet based on locally produced food.  The menu includes meat, fish and vegetarian dishes.  see - autumn 2018 menu

Water is included. Wine menu, local drinks and non-alcoholic beverage available for purchase.

• Like 1

Oh dear... you have us thinking about returning, and sooner than we were planning :classic_smile:

The food - quality and variety - was a real surprise for us.  We weren't quite sure what to expect, especially from the plated dinners.  It was nice to know we'd have advance notice and could request changes.  I'm a "fussy eater", and I never asked for any changes, and I gobbled it all up.  They had some surprisingly nice  red wines by the glass, something that we don't usually find.

It would have been nice to see the menus in advance.  OTOH, DH just mentioned that if we had, we probably wouldn't have had such an amazingly wonderful time.  Our expectations were definitely "lower" than they should have been, but that also meant even better pleasant surprises.

Odd thing, one of DH's college roommates (this is from many decades ago... see our ID name!) happened to write about a month or two after we returned, mentioning that his wife and friends were "dragging him on some ferry in Norway".  :classic_unsure:

He did not know of our trip; we don't correspond all that often.  Anyway, DH was able to reassure him that he (DH) had had similar concerns (apparently I had led him to underestimate how pleasant our trip would be, but I hadn't wanted him to say later, something like, "we spent how much on *that*!??").  And that the experience was just phenomenal, from start to finish.  Friend reported back afterwards just the same!

Seeing those photos of just some of the meal service... but you forgot to capture the trays and trays of puddings :classic_wink:

However, you did get the buffet offering of the crab legs.  I was in crab heaven!

They just kept bringing more out...!

Anyway, we are hoping to return in the summer, as we've never seen the "midnight sun", although that's partly just an excuse to sail on Hurtigruten again.  We might do a Svalbard cruise this time.  Or maybe... Antarctica!

GC

Food is included. In addition to the ‘Torget’ main dining room there is a ‘fine dining’ restaurant with a la Carte menu for additional costs.

Coffe/tea included in meals - depending on the fare coffe ad tea included all day (not included in basic fare) - juice only for breakfast, water included for all meals.

• Haha 1

At least on the Trollfjord during the Norway Coastal cruises, there was also a sort of snack bar.  This is especially for those who don't have full accommodations (like short port to port, as a regular ferry service), but it was also useful to get snacks or soft drinks, etc.

GC

• Thanks 1

Thanks, GC.  My husband loves to eat constantly on Vacay, as we try to be so healthy the rest of the time.   Is there an extra charge for this?

Is is there any type of gym or continuous walking deck?  Gotta walk off the desserts I allow myself. 😁

There is a charge for the “snack bar” since it is not part of the fare. They had fruits, ice cream, candy, chips, soda and beer. They also had pizza, burger and salad. You can use your cruise card or credit card.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alexand278 said:

Thanks, GC.  My husband loves to eat constantly on Vacay, as we try to be so healthy the rest of the time.   Is there an extra charge for this?

Is is there any type of gym or continuous walking deck?  Gotta walk off the desserts I allow myself. 😁

The snack bar was all extra charge, for anyone on board.

We mostly just got some extra beverages, and an occasional snack.  I don't quite remember if there were hot dishes or just sandwiches, pastries, etc.

The one "warning".  Do NOT get the "hot chocolate" there.  It's just a powder plus hot water.  Blech.

But at the bar (on upper deck on Trollfjord, at least), one could get the most chocolatey, creamy hot chocolate.  It was wonderful.  It probably had a zillion calories, but who is counting on vacation?  (Yup, we should, but...!)

I'm assuming it's a regular thing, and not just something the bartender whipped up.  We had the *nicest* bartender we've ever met.  But it's not a surprise, as all of the staff were so pleasant and helpful.

It was all so wonderful, and not at all what we expected.

Note:  It's not "perfect", no surprise.  The furnishings were a bit spartan, compared with regular cruiselines.  We had a large suite, with lots of empty space.  But we peeked into some of the smaller cabins and... they were... small.  Really small.  Do look a deck plans and descriptions when choosing.

But the common areas were so pleasant, with walls of windows everywhere.

Nothing fancy, but very functional and comfortable.

GC

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

The food - quality and variety - was a real surprise for us.  We weren't quite sure what to expect, especially from the plated dinners.  It was nice to know we'd have advance notice and could request changes.  I'm a "fussy eater", and I never asked for any changes, and I gobbled it all up.  They had some surprisingly nice  red wines by the glass, something that we don't usually find.

Actually you can see the menu beforehand. Go to the person on the desk before you enter the dining room around lunch time, and ask to see the menu for dinner. You tell them what your preference is and they do their best to accomodate not only your taste but allergies.

7 minutes ago, Elka said:

Actually you can see the menu beforehand. Go to the person on the desk before you enter the dining room around lunch time, and ask to see the menu for dinner. You tell them what your preference is and they do their best to accomodate not only your taste but allergies.

Yes.  I meant seeing it all before the cruise, as was just posted.

However, I'm remembering one complaint.  When we wanted to see the future days' menus, we kept getting offered a chance to BUY all of the daily menus (!??).  That happened repeatedly, and it was the only on-board complaint we had.  We contacted someone else, and got quite an apology, and were shown whichever menus we wanted to see.

Apparently there is a little packet of menus that they do sell, as a souvenir but that's not what we wanted.  (The menus have comments about where/how some of the local foodstuffs were grown/produced/etc.)  We just wanted to see the next day or two's worth of menus, so if we didn't get to speak with someone earlier the same day, we wouldn't miss a chance to ask for something else.

But as it turned out, we never needed to ask.  The food was *good* :classic_smile:

We had one food allergy. which we communicated to them in advance and also upon arrival on board.  The wait person always mentioned if it was part of the regular meal and they had kept it off OR if they had substituted something else.

41 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yes.  I meant seeing it all before the cruise, as was just posted.

However, I'm remembering one complaint.  When we wanted to see the future days' menus, we kept getting offered a chance to BUY all of the daily menus (!??).  That happened repeatedly, and it was the only on-board complaint we had.  We contacted someone else, and got quite an apology, and were shown whichever menus we wanted to see.

I know that if you tell them where you are assigned to eat for dinner, even though the Astronomy Cruise group can sit anywhere they liked, your allergy notes or preferences are put onto your place and they gave cards that told the waiters what course they have to substitute without you telling them. I am not allergic to seafood and cheese, I don’t like them. The only cheese that I really like is Mozzarella which is on Pizza. I told the people responsible for dining about it on the 3rd night and for the rest of the trip I was given what I felt comfortable eating. I didn’t know they sold the menus, I liked to read about what I was enjoying. 

On 10/27/2018 at 6:15 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Oh dear... you have us thinking about returning, and sooner than we were planning :classic_smile:

GC

GC and/or hallasm  Approximately what is the cost for a glass of wine at dinner?  And they do offer wine packages, yes?  By any chance, did you have a drink at the bar - I've also wondered how much Hurtigruten charges for, say, a martini?  Thanks.

Price for wine  by glass starts at  NOK 95 to 130  (USD 11 to 15)

Price per bottle starts at NOK 550 to 700  (USD 65 to 90)

Packets are available - I do not have the price - expecting round NOK 400 per bottle

Much more expensive wines by glass/bottle is available.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Price for wine  by glass starts at  NOK 95 to 130  (USD 11 to 15)

Price per bottle starts at NOK 550 to 700  (USD 65 to 90)

Packets are available - I do not have the price - expecting round NOK 400 per bottle

Much more expensive wines by glass/bottle is available.

Yes, it's those "more expensive" wines by the glass that were a nice surprise for us.

We don't drink much, but when we do, we prefer nice wine.  Usually that means a full bottle, if it's available at all.

So this was a very nice surprise indeed.

GC

I have recently cruised on MS Fram, where the delicious food was a cruise highlight.  Some evening meals were like an event linked to history, e.g. Jean Baptiste Charcot, Sir Francis Drake. 

As this is an Explorer ship, there is no cafe, nor is one needed. I think passengers, who haven't cruised with Hurtigruten, would be pleasantly surprised how good the food is.  

26 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I have recently cruised on MS Fram, where the delicious food was a cruise highlight.  Some evening meals were like an event linked to history, e.g. Jean Baptiste Charcot, Sir Francis Drake. 

As this is an Explorer ship, there is no cafe, nor is one needed. I think passengers, who haven't cruised with Hurtigruten, would be pleasantly surprised how good the food is.  

Thinking ahead... if there is no cafe, is there food available between meals if one is hungry?

Thanks.

GC

No.  But there is nothing to stop you taking biscuits and fruit to your cabin, like I did.  There is a small area behind reception where you can get free hot drinks 24/7, plus cold water and you could buy sweets.

In addition to the three set main meals, there is afternoon tea at 4 pm on Deck 7, with real tea, coffee, tiny sandwiches and cakes. There is no morning tea, nor late supper.  

• 8 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:39 AM, MMDown Under said:

Hi. We are currently debating a cruise on the MS Fram to Antarctica. I really like the itinerary but we are hesitant due to lack of information. The cabins look very small online. We are getting a good price on a guarantee cabin which may very well be the smallest cabin on board. Any insight on the cabins, their size, and overall comfort? I was happy to see you liked the meals. I have read many reviews where people have complained about the food on MS Fram. You never know what to believe. If you would be so kind to share any information on the MS Fram and your Antarctic Cruise. I saw in your signature that you did the same itinerary we would like to do. Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. Thanks so much. 🙂

Christie