Specialty Restaurants

qsuzi

Be aware that some here will likely say they always tip exorbitant amounts even though the gratuity was included in the price you paid for the specialty dining. If people want to tip $20 per person or something that is their own business. If one has booked specialty dining, and in doing so already paid a gratuity, they have no obligation to tip further. If you want to do so then that is your own business but don't let anybody try to "shame" you into tipping extra (and it definitely is extra) if you don't want to do so. Enjoy your dinner and tip or don't tip. If you want to do something really nice for the staff (if they deserve it of course) get their name(s) and put in the Consummate Host card for them. That is their ticket to extra perks and promotion.

• Like 2

When I have asked ship management on board, I have been told that no part of the upcharge is for a tip. However, all of the staff in the specialty dining rooms are part of the tipping pool from the daily gratuity charge and thus share in that.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

When I have asked ship management on board, I have been told that no part of the upcharge is for a tip. However, all of the staff in the specialty dining rooms are part of the tipping pool from the daily gratuity charge and thus share in that.

Okay. Same thing. One still is not obligated to tip extra.

Note: I am not trying to say it is "bad" or "wrong" or whatever to tip extra. I am simply stating that it isn't necessary or required. (I may well have been "guilty" of leaving an extra tip myself but refuse to say one way or the other as it is nobody's business and I have no real intention of influencing the OP one way or the other. I am just stating what I believe to be the facts. Of course I have been known to be wrong before...)

If you tip extra in the specialty dining, why not in the main dining room too. The daily charge covers all the wait staff onboard. So tipping is no more necessary, than in any other dining area. If you want to tip extra that’s your own personal and private choice. 

• Like 1