Viking in the Great Lakes

Jim Avery

I was sent a survey from Viking which dealt exclusively with cruises on the Great Lakes.  Also had renderings and info on a new class of ships, Viking Great Lakes ships.  I personally have no interest in the region but others will.  Who else got this survey/info?

I got it but deleted as I didn't want to take the time.  After reading your post which peaked my interest (thought maybe they were asking about other itineraries) I retrieved it and started in.   I'm not really interested either but kept plodding along until I got to the part where it asked how much I would spend.  I put in 2,000 (I know, silly me) but it wouldn't accept my answer. It kept saying to put in a whole number.  Huh?  I tried different formats but couldn't get it to accept so just gave up and backed out.  

Should have just left it in the trash!

Haha, I put in 2,000 too.  Must have offended them as I told them $10,500 for a cruise that included Detroit and Cleveland was way too much.   The only interesting part was the renderings and info on the new class of ships for the Great Lakes.  I really hope Viking spends that money elsewhere.  

The Great Lakes?? Really? How interesting. I think it could be fascinating, especially if it included lots of Lake Superior. I’d love to take an excursion to the Boundary Waters area. 

I live in Michigan and have long been fascinated by the big tanker ships that make the rounds here; I’ve often thought it would be fun to be a passenger on one. This would certainly be a more deluxe option!

I also received it and have yet to take my first Viking cruise. My husband and I both still work, and wouldn't be able to take two weeks off, nor be willing to spend their proposed price. 

I also wasn't fond of the Cleveland/Milwaukee/Detroit options. I would be interested in something from Quebec City to Montreal, then further west.

For now, looking forward to our April cruise.

Robin

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I was sent a survey from Viking which dealt exclusively with cruises on the Great Lakes.  Also had renderings and info on a new class of ships, Viking Great Lakes ships.  I personally have no interest in the region but others will.  Who else got this survey/info?

Jim - Negative, didn't receive the survey. We have driven around some of them, but no desire to cruise the Great Lakes, much prefer salt water.

38 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I also received it and have yet to take my first Viking cruise. My husband and I both still work, and wouldn't be able to take two weeks off, nor be willing to spend their proposed price. 

I also wasn't fond of the Cleveland/Milwaukee/Detroit options. I would be interested in something from Quebec City to Montreal, then further west.

For now, looking forward to our April cruise.

Robin

We were recently on Mackinac Island and very much enjoyed our visit. Honestly that was the first experience with a lake (not ocean) that we enjoyed.  We are ocean people, and lakes just aren't the same.  While there a small cruise ship docked in port for the day.  That peaked our interest so we talked to some of the folks and seriously were not impressed with what we heard about the ship.  Would never go on it.  A Viking cruise if it was more like a week, (14 days would be about 7 days too long!) and did NOT stop in Cleveland, Milwaukee or Detroit...oh please...I don't see that as being a cruise, that would be...uuuuhhh...oh never mind.  Quebec City and Montreal, I agree those would be really good.  

But as some have said...it's not a $$$$$ kind of cruise.  It would not be worth spending a ton of money on.  

10 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - Negative, didn't receive the survey. We have driven around some of them, but no desire to cruise the Great Lakes, much prefer salt water.

I guess only us real "Special People" got them....  Haha, I think they thought I would tell them what they wanted to hear.  I'm with you.  If it's not salty, who needs it....😎

We live near Seattle. American Cruise Lines does a one week cruise that only goes around the Puget Sound here in Seattle. I was shocked to see how much they charge! So I'm sure Viking is looking at opportunities like that to compete in the smaller ship market. Not $10,000, but 4 or 5 thousand per person! Our area is beautiful, but... Perhaps someone who has taken that cruise can chime in. I just can't justify that much $.  

Point of clarification, Viking does not yet do Great Lakes cruises.  This survey is sort of seeing if there is a market for such.  For my money the answer is no.  I am curious that they show special new class ships for this market.  What will they do with those ships the other half of the year?  Put them in layup like the Laker ore carriers?  Seems it still freezes big time up there.  Honestly, if it hadn't come from Viking I would have thought Andy was pulling a gag on me.....:classic_biggrin:

28 minutes ago, twodjs said:

We live near Seattle. American Cruise Lines does a one week cruise that only goes around the Puget Sound here in Seattle. I was shocked to see how much they charge! So I'm sure Viking is looking at opportunities like that to compete in the smaller ship market. Not $10,000, but 4 or 5 thousand per person! Our area is beautiful, but... Perhaps someone who has taken that cruise can chime in. I just can't justify that much $.  

Yes, their fares are very pricey but I guess enough people do them to keep them "afloat", no pun intended!  When we talk to people about where we travel to, many say they would like to visit these places but would never fly.  Maybe this is why these cruises have appeal to some.  Personally, we sure wouldn't pay their prices when we can drive to many of these ports of call.  Or in your case, take the ferry.   I sure wouldn't pay to cruise the Columbia Gorge either.

I would think Viking is surveying the wrong group here.  Not adventurous enough itinerary for most ocean cruisers. 

Edited by Ready to Sail!

Viking seems to have been shut down on its plan to offer river cruises in the US because of the PSVA requirements that the ships be built in US and staffed with US workers.  This may be Plan B: if every cruise starts or ends at a Canadian port, they escape the PSVA.  They will be competing against two established premium lines in the Great Lakes [Pearl and Victory], and I see that the new Hapag-Lloyd expedition ship Hanseatic Inspiration will be doing two Great Lakes cruises in 2020 [Toronto to Chicago and reverse; no stops in Detroit or Cleveland!] – maybe Viking sees a market for luxury non-expedition cruising there.  [The ships can sail out through the St. Lawrence Seaway for off-season cruising elsewhere – Hapag-Lloyd's ship will proceed from Toronto to Greenland!]

Could you email me the link to the survey?  I'd like to see the details of Viking's plans!

hostjazzbeau@cruisecritic.com

42 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Viking seems to have been shut down on its plan to offer river cruises in the US because of the PSVA requirements that the ships be built in US and staffed with US workers.  This may be Plan B: if every cruise starts or ends at a Canadian port, they escape the PSVA.  They will be competing against two established premium lines in the Great Lakes [Pearl and Victory], and I see that the new Hapag-Lloyd expedition ship Hanseatic Inspiration will be doing two Great Lakes cruises in 2020 [Toronto to Chicago and reverse; no stops in Detroit or Cleveland!] – maybe Viking sees a market for luxury non-expedition cruising there.  [The ships can sail out through the St. Lawrence Seaway for off-season cruising elsewhere – Hapag-Lloyd's ship will proceed from Toronto to Greenland!]

Could you email me the link to the survey?  I'd like to see the details of Viking's plans!

hostjazzbeau@cruisecritic.com

I dug mine out of the trash bin and forwarded to you.  Hope that works.

Thanks ReadyToSail!

It was very interesting.  I'll try to post the attachments here so others can see what Viking may be planning.  [Note that the two images of the ship exterior are completely different.]  It is definitely more luxurious than the existing Great Lakes-focused lines, more on the level of the Hapag-Lloyd Hanseatic Inspiration [and at similar prices].  But I like H-L's 14-day itinerary much better [Toronto to Chicago including Lake Superior].

Short_Itinerary.JPG

Ship_Description_Part_1.jpg

Ship_Description_Part_2.jpg

Ship_Description_Part_3.jpg

From the differing renderings I am sure  nothing is set in stone.  I am more curious as to what they will do with the small ships the rest of the year when the GL are not real fun.  Another interesting point is this seems to indicate that zodiac excursions would be included.  A vast difference from our recent Seabourn in Alaska where they charge exorbitant amounts (up to $300 p/p) for 1.5 hour zodiac excursions.  Interesting to think about but we have no interest in GL cruises.  It does show they never rest at Viking!😎

10 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

From the differing renderings I am sure  nothing is set in stone.  I am more curious as to what they will do with the small ships the rest of the year when the GL are not real fun.  Another interesting point is this seems to indicate that zodiac excursions would be included.  A vast difference from our recent Seabourn in Alaska where they charge exorbitant amounts (up to $300 p/p) for 1.5 hour zodiac excursions.  Interesting to think about but we have no interest in GL cruises.  It does show they never rest at Viking!😎

Another sign of poor planning by Viking.  Here's a note from the Hapag-Lloyd itinerary for their Great Lakes cruises:  "Please note that the use of Zodiacs is not currently permitted on the Great Lakes."

https://www.hl-cruises.com/cruisefinder/INS2011#itinerary

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another sign of poor planning by Viking.  Here's a note from the Hapag-Lloyd itinerary for their Great Lakes cruises:  "Please note that the use of Zodiacs is not currently permitted on the Great Lakes."

https://www.hl-cruises.com/cruisefinder/INS2011#itinerary

Wow, that is interesting.  Another sign they are just tossing ideas around.  I really do not think this is a good plan for Viking. These small ships with all the toys would be, imho, very well suited for less travelled Caribbean itineraries or maybe the Sea of Cortez.  

Well, after reading some details on the brochure, this would completely blow American Cruise Lines out of the water here in the Puget Sound/Seattle area. They could tour the San Juan islands, stop in Vancouver (non-U.S. port) and really bring some class to the current state of small ship cruising here. Zodiacs are permitted here and the water is crystal clear for the submersible. Hope they consider the pacific northwest area in addition to the great lakes. 

33 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I live and sail on Lake Michigan. Zodiac boats are allowed on Lake Michigan. I can't speak to the other Great Lakes.

Jak

Maybe they're allowed for personal use, but not for ship excursions?

Hmmmm. I don’t think I’d be interested without Lake Superior. And no Lake Michigan either? Weird. No interest in Cleveland or Detroit. 

As as for what to do with the ships in the off season, maybe cruise the Mississippi? 

42 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Hmmmm. I don’t think I’d be interested without Lake Superior. And no Lake Michigan either? Weird. No interest in Cleveland or Detroit. 

As as for what to do with the ships in the off season, maybe cruise the Mississippi? 

Pearl does Fall Foliage, then Cuba rt Ft. Lauderdale; Victory does Fall Foliage, then Cuba and Yucatan-intensive (both rt Miami).  Very different Caribbean itineraries than the big ships.  There are lots of small ports in the Carib that a Viking ship like the one described could do.