Booking Shenanigans

Big_G

Hypothetical scenario: We are booked in a GS and that category is currently sold out. We are sailing with other family who wanted a GS but for the prior stated reason ended up booking a balcony. We're after final payment and thinking about upgrading. Is there an easy way for the other family members to acquire our GS or will they just have to roll the dice and see if they get it. They already missed one opportunity by minutes. We both booked direct with Royal. Thanks in advance.

If a category is "sold out", there might not be that category available.  They may "upgrade" someone to make room for you..or they might not.    Unless you booked a "suite gty" it's unlikely you'll get anything better than a JS.

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

If a category is "sold out", there might not be that category available.  They may "upgrade" someone to make room for you..or they might not.    Unless you booked a "suite gty" it's unlikely you'll get anything better than a JS.

I think you completely misread my question.

OK... let's see if I'm reading your question correctly...

You are in a GS, but want to upgrade to a better suite.

You realise this will then leave a vacant GS, which your family could upgrade to from their current balcony, but you're not sure how to make sure they are the ones that get that GS.

If I'm correct there, here's another way of looking at it... not sure if it's possible, or how it would work out with cost, bur anyway...

Have your other family upgrade their balcony straight to the better suite you want. Then when you board, just swap cabins.

Balsam that might seem the easiest thing to do only problem is the price to upgrade will surely be higher going from a balcony compared to going from a GS.

So the just buy it then swap plan won’t really work

That said, should be easy enough to call royal directly and ask the agent to make the two changes for you at same time.....I’ve done this before and it really depends on the agent taking your call...usually they will do their best to assist you

just be sure to have all info for both cabins when you call...prob best to call when you have other family on the call with you

11 minutes ago, tiger13 said:

the price to upgrade will surely be higher going from a balcony compared to going from a GS.

As I said, I'm not sure on the pricing, however my suggestion involves one upgrade... Balcony to top of the range suite.

The other option involves two upgrades... GS to higher suite, and balcony to GS.

7 hours ago, tiger13 said:

Balsam that might seem the easiest thing to do only problem is the price to upgrade will surely be higher going from a balcony compared to going from a GS.

So the just buy it then swap plan won’t really work

That said, should be easy enough to call royal directly and ask the agent to make the two changes for you at same time.....I’ve done this before and it really depends on the agent taking your call...usually they will do their best to assist you

just be sure to have all info for both cabins when you call...prob best to call when you have other family on the call with you

Probably worth a try. As for the option to have them purchase our upgrade, it's  about $1K total difference between the two cabins. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to front that.

true.....figure out what your portion of the upgrade would be so you can then split the cost and pay them your share up front

However, I’m not sure how you know what the cost for them to upgrade to your GS would have been since there aren’t any available 

Are you saying the $1000 is the cost for them to upgrade from their current cabin to the one you actually want or is that the cost to upgrade from your GS ?

if it’s $1000 total to get you both the better cabins that’s a heck of a deal IMO

then you just gotta trust they will swap cabins once on the ship LOL

Good Luck !!