Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Slarty

Cannabis/Marijuana/Pot policy on Holland America!?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Slarty said:

 

Umm???  The USA does not rule the world (yet).  Within a country's territorial waters, you are subject to their rules, not ours.

 

Or am I wrong?

Actually you are subject to the rules of the ship and ship line.  HAL lists that Marijuana is prohibited on board their ships. Penalty up to removal from vessel.

 

In addition the Cruise ships going to/from the US or operating in US waters are also impacted by the US Coast Guard, which operates under federal not state law.

 

Also Canada itself states that transfer across national boundaries is illegal. Since no HAL cruise takes place solely within Canadian waters that makes three different reasons why it is not allowed.

Edited by RDC1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RDC1 said:

<snip>

 

Also Canada itself states that transfer across national boundaries is illegal. Since no HAL cruise takes place solely within Canadian waters that makes three different reasons why it is not allowed.

 

Just to add, while cannabis is now legal in Canada, every province has different rules and even some cities.  Some prohibit use in public - only at home.  So if you are planning to 'partake' in Canada, make sure you know the law of the port you are in.

 

Legalization here is new and different provinces, cities, etc. Are dealing with it differently and I suspect rules will evolve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Don't take the chance of ending up in a foreign prison -- leave your cannabis, marijuana, pot, etc., at home.

One our one and only CCL we were is port at Dominica and the Dominican police arrested one of our passengers on the dock for purchasing drugs in town. We heard that the police wanted $5000  cash to post bail. Not to get off topic but the rules are set by the cruise lines. HAL doesn't allow anyone under 21 to drink alcohol on board even if you are in the port of a country that allows  it. My suggestion for the OP to get off in any Canadian port and enjoy your pot while visiting on shore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Slarty said:

 

Why?  Please expand your argument to share with us.

Just a little perspective to some of the answers you have been given.

Copper 10-8 is a Security Officer on HAL ships.

Aquahound is an investigator for the USCG

I am a ship's Chief Engineer, with 43 years of seagoing experience.

 

I will repeat Aquahound's statements, and elaborate.  First off, your idea that a country's "territorial waters" extend out 200 miles is false.  A country's territorial waters extend 12 miles.  The "exclusive economic zone" extends 200 miles, but a country can only enact laws over this area in regards to regulating maritime resources like fishing and oil exploration.

 

Now, to explain about "flag state".  HAL ships fly the Dutch flag.  Therefore, while on the ship, whether at sea or in a Canadian port, the laws of Holland apply.  Pot, in Holland, is not legal, but it has been decriminalized, within certain parameters, and use on a ship does not fall within those parameters.  So, pot is not legal on a Dutch ship.  Further, HAL has to abide by the international STCW convention, which regulates the training and performance of crew, and which prohibits drug use by crew.  In order to more easily maintain the prohibition for the crew, HAL has decided that they will ban all drugs, both for passengers and crew, so there is no possibility of crossing from one to the other.

 

Now, when a ship is in a foreign port (not the flag state), that country where the port is, does have some jurisdiction over the ship, but all nations apply the rule of international law when jurisdictional overlaps occur like a Dutch ship in a Canadian port, and that law says that unless the "safety or good order" of the port is threatened by actions on the ship, then the port's laws do not apply to the ship.  So, since the Dutch laws and international maritime laws on drugs are more restrictive than the local laws, the more restrictive ship's laws apply.

 

Also, I have heard (and not an expert on Canadian law, and certainly not on a new law like this) that the port areas, which fall under Canadian federal jurisdiction and are regulated by the ISPS code (International Ship and Port Security), do not allow pot use, so even once off the gangway in Canada, you can't just light up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just a little perspective to some of the answers you have been given.

Copper 10-8 is a Security Officer on HAL ships.

Aquahound is an investigator for the USCG

I am a ship's Chief Engineer, with 43 years of seagoing experience.

 

I will repeat Aquahound's statements, and elaborate.  First off, your idea that a country's "territorial waters" extend out 200 miles is false.  A country's territorial waters extend 12 miles.  The "exclusive economic zone" extends 200 miles, but a country can only enact laws over this area in regards to regulating maritime resources like fishing and oil exploration.

 

Now, to explain about "flag state".  HAL ships fly the Dutch flag.  Therefore, while on the ship, whether at sea or in a Canadian port, the laws of Holland apply.  Pot, in Holland, is not legal, but it has been decriminalized, within certain parameters, and use on a ship does not fall within those parameters.  So, pot is not legal on a Dutch ship.  Further, HAL has to abide by the international STCW convention, which regulates the training and performance of crew, and which prohibits drug use by crew.  In order to more easily maintain the prohibition for the crew, HAL has decided that they will ban all drugs, both for passengers and crew, so there is no possibility of crossing from one to the other.

 

Now, when a ship is in a foreign port (not the flag state), that country where the port is, does have some jurisdiction over the ship, but all nations apply the rule of international law when jurisdictional overlaps occur like a Dutch ship in a Canadian port, and that law says that unless the "safety or good order" of the port is threatened by actions on the ship, then the port's laws do not apply to the ship.  So, since the Dutch laws and international maritime laws on drugs are more restrictive than the local laws, the more restrictive ship's laws apply.

 

Also, I have heard (and not an expert on Canadian law, and certainly not on a new law like this) that the port areas, which fall under Canadian federal jurisdiction and are regulated by the ISPS code (International Ship and Port Security), do not allow pot use, so even once off the gangway in Canada, you can't just light up.

Thank you for your usual thoughtfull words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who has attended several of the chartered music/theme cruises aboard Holland America ships.  He says that dope is smoked openly on the back of the ships (smoking section?) and the practice is jokingly referred to as "safety drill".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From HAL's most recent 'Know before you go' document...

 

"Please Note: Persons in possession of illegal drugs are subject to immediate disembarkation and reporting to law enforcement authorities. This could result in legal proceedings. Please keep in mind that the drug laws in many countries can be very restrictive and the penalties severe.
For these purposes, marijuana, even if prescribed for medicinal purposes, is considered an illegal drug as it is prohibited both under U.S. law as well as the laws of all or most of the countries that the ship visits."

 

This definitively answers your question, and should effectively put this discussion to bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the info of the OP we will keep it simple.  HAL's ship.....HAL's rules!  And pot is a prohibited substance on HAL ships.  Use it and you may lose it....or may find yourself on the pier (at the next port) watching your vessel sail off into the sunset.  And yes, the ship's master (Captain) has full authority to kick you off the ship at the next port.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

For the info of the OP we will keep it simple.  HAL's ship.....HAL's rules!  And pot is a prohibited substance on HAL ships.  Use it and you may lose it....or may find yourself on the pier (at the next port) watching your vessel sail off into the sunset.  And yes, the ship's master (Captain) has full authority to kick you off the ship at the next port.

 

Hank

 

And a good chance of getting to know who Copper is 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From page 7 of Holland America's "Know Before You Go," available here in case you want to read the source info.


https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/manage-my-cruise-already-booked/faqs/KBYG.pdf

 

Medication: Your prescription medication should be kept close at hand in your purse or carry-on bag rather than in your checked baggage. Be sure to bring a sufficient supply of medication and transport it in the original container. It is also a good idea to carry a written list of your medications in case they are lost. The list should include the name of the drug, dosage and times taken. In case of emergency, Holland America Line will assist in filling prescriptions.

 

However, please note that additional charges will apply and that not all medications are available in all countries or ports of call.

 

Please Note: Persons in possession of illegal drugs are subject to immediate disembarkation and reporting to law enforcement authorities.  This could result in legal proceedings.  Please keep in mind that the drug laws in many countries can be very restrictive and the penalties severe.

 

For these purposes, marijuana, even if prescribed for medicinal purposes, is considered an illegal drug as it is prohibited both under U.S. law as well as the laws of all or most of the countries that the ship visits.  Prescription Marinol, which is used by some as an alternative to marijuana, is permitted.

Edited by POA1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Why is it so important?

I second this one.  If you have a medical condition that requires the regular use of medical marijuana, don't cruise on HAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

 

And a good chance of getting to know who Copper is 🙂

Love it!  As usual Copper, Aquahound & VMax provide a wealth of information and cautionary tales.  Anyone who is still contemplating bringing aboard even the tiniest amount of pot is foolish in the extreme.

 

Why would any passenger want to blot/erase memories of a HA cruise by smoking pot/dropping acid?  Makes no sense in my world.  Just anticipating being on a cruise is enough to make me "high" and giddy.  Actually experiencing the ship. . .ah-h-h. . .I need no stimulant to enjoy it.  The wind and the sea and the ports are stimulating enough.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Love it!  As usual Copper, Aquahound & VMax provide a wealth of information and cautionary tales.  Anyone who is still contemplating bringing aboard even the tiniest amount of pot is foolish in the extreme.

 

Why would any passenger want to blot/erase memories of a HA cruise by smoking pot/dropping acid?  Makes no sense in my world.  Just anticipating being on a cruise is enough to make me "high" and giddy.  Actually experiencing the ship. . .ah-h-h. . .I need no stimulant to enjoy it.  The wind and the sea and the ports are stimulating enough.

I have no idea why anyone would want to do this - and yes, I live in Canada where it is now legal 😞

 

I sense the OP was looking for an easy try at cannabis since they were coming to Canada.  It's not as easy as it sound 😉

 

Frankly, I don't understand why the Government did this other than $$$$ which I suspect are huge.

 

Right now, the stores (both online and retail) can't get enough product to satisfy the request.  Scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one googles the question - can I bring pot on a cruise? - the mind boggles at the suggestions exactly how to do this. Most disturbing are the suggestion to toss all  used equipment overboard before disembarking, in case there are drug sniffing dogs.

 

Worst possible peer recommendation is to smoke pot on the aft decks or balconies, or an out of the way deck at late or early hours and to toss any burning matter overboard, if someone discovers them.

 

These are pot users giving advice to other pot users. They scoff at port security as too lax to care and have all sorts of arcane suggestions how to out-smart any possible detection when boarding. Additionally they offer ways to scam the carry-on hard liquor prohibition too.

 

This is the new generation of cruisers HAL wants to attract?  Good luck. Many of these pot posters cite Carnival Cruise Lines as their favored line. 

Edited by OlsSalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were onboard the Zuiderdam and in a Canadian port on the day cannabis became legal in Canada.

 

There was a very large poster displayed as you approached the gangway to exit the ship outlining the lines policy on drugs on board. It included a picture of a marijuana leaf. It was perfectly clear to all, no matter the language spoken by the passenger, that bringing cannabis products on board was prohibited.

Edited by Cruisepucks
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three points. One, somebody said that Canada was having trouble keeping up with demand. Two, if the OP wants to smoke pot on a HAL cruise, Seattle is an option. Three, Seattle is turning into a real dump because of it. 

55 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

 And your point? 🤔

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAL will relax the prohibition on pot when they find a way to sell it on board.

Of course you will only be allowed to bring one joint for each adult or pay $18 dollar "flame" charge for each additional joint brought on board. 

I can see the marketing now.  "Enyoy HIGH TIMES on the HIGH SEAS, for only $420 per person".  All adults in cabin must purchase the package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HamOp said:

HAL will relax the prohibition on pot when they find a way to sell it on board.

Of course you will only be allowed to bring one joint for each adult or pay $18 dollar "flame" charge for each additional joint brought on board. 

I can see the marketing now.  "Enyoy HIGH TIMES on the HIGH SEAS, for only $420 per person".  All adults in cabin must purchase the package. 

 

You know it's coming...  We were on a Costa cruise about 10 years ago out of FLL, on the last night of the cruise the CD (a guy I've more recently seen hawking gold on TV commercials) advised that if anyone had picked up some combustible contraband it would be in their best interest to go to an upper deck and consume it prior to arriving back in FLL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HamOp said:

HAL will relax the prohibition on pot when they find a way to sell it on board.

Of course you will only be allowed to bring one joint for each adult or pay $18 dollar "flame" charge for each additional joint brought on board. 

I can see the marketing now.  "Enyoy HIGH TIMES on the HIGH SEAS, for only $420 per person".  All adults in cabin must purchase the package. 

They are waiting for the full implementation of Club Orange across the fleet before introducing Club Green. Or so I'm led to believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, Slarty said:

The Bahamas supplements its income by arresting cruise passengers with small amounts of pots. The police board cruise ships without either probable cause or search warrants and then fine them $500 to $2000 under threats of jail sentences of 30 – 60 days terms at Her Majesty’s Prison 

 

Since this cost is so expensive do these rooms include a drink package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we legalize marijuana across the United States, cruising is the next battleground.  Marijuana is less harmful to society than alcohol and yet the federal government and cruise lines still choose to impose irrational morality on the masses.   I predict within a few years there will be cannabis cruises for anyone to take.  That would be dope! (pun intended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...