HAL Balcony Doors - Slammers or Sliders?

SargassoPirate

We are considering another HAL cruise only because of the itinerary and price.  Our only HAL cruise so far was a transatlantic several years ago on the Eurodam - which I dubbed the "Euroslam" because of the almost constant booms of balcony doors slamming shut.  It was very annoying when trying to enjoy our balcony.  The neighbors on one side would let their door slam behind them when they stepped out and it would rattle the pictures on our wall - nice when trying to sleep in a bit.

Sooooo, my question is, are the balcony doors on all HAL ships slammers, or do they have the sliding doors to the balcony on some ships?  And if so, which ones? 

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Sooooo, my question is, are the balcony doors on all HAL ships slammers, or do they have the sliding doors to the balcony on some ships?  And if so, which ones? 

Only the Prinsendam has sliders on all balconies. They can be a little tough to tug open sometimes, but are generally easier than the slammers.

Actually the Lanai cabins have sliding glass doors - we took a Hawaii cruise on Veendam in January, 2014 when they were pretty new.  They had such a strong spring that it was difficult to open unless you had both hands free, and would close with a bang if you lost control of it.  On Maasdam last month, I saw several of them with the door open slightly - no props - so perhaps this has been addressed.  

Not a personal verandah, or balcony - yes I know that - but the concern was whether your neighbor had a sliding glass door that shut with a bang, and ours did.  Perhaps it has been addressed by HAL.  Those more recent passengers would be able to reply.

On the Rotterdam, and other similar ships in the fleet, the Lanai cabins have a very heavy, sliding glass door opening out onto the promenade deck.   The glass is very thick and the door is very heavy.  The doors are held shut by magnetic locks, that you use a button on the inside to open and a swipe of a proximity card from the outside to open.  All pictures in HAL cabins are securely fastened to the walls in multiple places, so I doubt they would "rattle"  when another cabin door would slam shut.   The regular veranda cabin doors have a closer, preventing them from slamming, unless there are very high winds. 

Always the good busy-body reminder to insert here: never force open a balcony or lanai door to keep it open - day or night

Forcing it open ruins  the HACV systems for everyone else on the same ventilaton circuit. There are gentle reminders about this pasted on the door but often are blocked by the curtains.

Good thing really if these doors "slam shut" on their own. Agree that  never been a problem for us that we ever noticed., but we have never been on the Eurodam (NA - no problem on her sister ship)  

Only times there are slamming doors as an issue if for the every aft cabins that are close to any aft outdoor public space where there is a lot of general traffic. They put up signs reminding people to close those public passage way doors gently as a courtesy to those close by cabins. 

Edited by OlsSalt

8 hours ago, BJzink said:

Not a personal verandah, or balcony - yes I know that - but the concern was whether your neighbor had a sliding glass door that shut with a bang, and ours did.  Perhaps it has been addressed by HAL.  Those more recent passengers would be able to reply.

I was on the Veendam earlier this month in a lanai cabin. I agree that it was difficult to open. I had to use both hands.  Once opened though, it did not spring back automatically, so maybe they did address that problem.  I didn't hear any slamming from my neighbors' doors, thank goodness.

I think the veranda doors on the Euroslam  must have had worn out self-closing devices.  The veranda doors swing out, folks step out and let loose of the door, and with a worn out pneumatic self closing device the door slams shut behind them.  Thus, when we were on our veranda to enjoy the sun and the sea, we were serenaded by the boom boom boom of slamming doors.

If the norm on HAL ships is swinging doors and not sliders, HAL moves to the bottom of the list for consideration.  Too bad, because we loved everything else about HAL, but when one pays for a veranda, one should be able to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

If the norm on HAL ships is swinging doors and not sliders, HAL moves to the bottom of the list for consideration. 

We've had 10 balconies on all four Vista ships, plus Nieuw Amsterdam twice, Eurodam once, and Koningsdam once. We've only had "slamming neighbors" once, so in my experience your odds against getting one are pretty good.

Thanks for your input, catl331.  The slamming was just not our neighbors, but others in the vicinity all around us. We could only hear our neighbor's door slam when we were inside.  Outside, we could hear the others.  People were clueless about letting their doors slam.  She Who Must Be Obeyed just ruled that she is not interested in risking it again, so we'll pay more for Princess and have a more quiet balcony experience.  If she's happy, I'll be happy.  If she's not.....well......:classic_sad:

I'm surprised at the number of posters who have never heard the slamming doors.  It may not be our next door neighbors, but on every cruise with a balcony I've experienced the slamming doors.  It usually happens right about when I'm dozing off with a book and glass of wine.  That wakes you up in a hurry!  😉   Annoying as it may be, it isn't enough to make me want to stop sailing HAL.