Valletta Info

heWe are visiting Valletta on Saturday, Nov 1, from 8-6 off an MSC ship. I've been trying tom get some real info on what to do here, but there isn't that much info out there.

so, if anyone can help, it would be  appreciated.

We see there are HoHo buses there, is that a good option?

We were also looking at a walking tour of Valletta, has anyone done that or is that worth the money.?

I've read about going to Mdina. I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones and would love to visit this city.

So, on our own, what is the best way to get there from Valletta? We don't mind using public transportation, but are there other ways?

Again, it is less than a month till we cruise and I know I'm starting late, but better late than never.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Wander around the city, take public bus to Mdina.  There isn't a ton to see there, but a nice ramble on the narrow streets.  IF you do get there, have a look at the Roman Villa that is outside the city walls, it was very interesting.  The floor mosaics are almost all intact, you walk above them on a suspended plexiglass floor.   I am not positive  about hiring a taxi all day.  I was there for a week land vacation and only used the public busses.    THere is the bus depot just outside of the city and an information kiosk where you can ask which bus goes to Mdina. 

17 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Wander around the city, take public bus to Mdina.  There isn't a ton to see there, but a nice ramble on the narrow streets.  IF you do get there, have a look at the Roman Villa that is outside the city walls, it was very interesting.  The floor mosaics are almost all intact, you walk above them on a suspended plexiglass floor.   I am not positive  about hiring a taxi all day.  I was there for a week land vacation and only used the public busses.    THere is the bus depot just outside of the city and an information kiosk where you can ask which bus goes to Mdina. 

Is it fairly easy to do that bus to Mdina?

Where is the bus station in relationship to the cruise port?

Cheers

Len

The bus terminus is at the Triton Fountain.  If you can figure out where the ship docks this map will help you find the way.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Valletta,+Malta/@35.8947935,14.5003865,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x130e45281d8647c5:0x745ad38ee242c917!8m2!3d35.8989085!4d14.5145528

Also the National Archeogloy Museum is worth while.  Its a small museum but houses most of the carved stone from the temples. 

We had one day in Valletta on our recent Wind Surf cruise. It was beautiful and very easy to DIY. We wandered the old part of the city on our own. Checked out the shops and restaurants. We saw the firing of the cannons which was a nice touch.

5N2hshDzDiQQ81nVV8XrK0gOUGO8ZD3bDTCrk44rD_Of0yHFJ9cI6ORdKEchF5YC1zeA_KCluqjQi1ZN2UreZ2QF-Zm7JJX2wIA-RKUQgBO9N-ISuHUOh1ELO-I4guX-Lck4Ckhv7k4CUE2zTShVy95735E3_h8tev1bRcOQf6HPvln2O8WgM47sWZkLVMPfD60uavagHs5grrTOigD_K8i3BJLH1qdMLy0xqb5Cy1qwpia6VI-3nmjRrVTVMf_5Eks6gyRjxYgYSqTcQ80hBLB9WLgAiQoQrAvUmqt6bxQPR0bfxegR1xaXq4gpR0MC3-fNVEzcnlRkirh3Wp6kOPKyTdfyEHUWXcHedxS6UFtadt21qTNqqPjp9BwUiAenqEE8n3OO6jSYvjF--OnjtVG4ovUH5UxN6qCmXk_QjfIbdABIZYEH79ToFA9AqyTv01Z3CTpvPzVwAHE4yEDrdG_qtq0PX_thdmqc3DVsVWVE4MOXeNoV6PuwIo5L60-r05OSVdaysLCjGzGLXqFg3OiZECG7Swo5kLHbd5976UStad-OTc1JNYzVE6eTNtAZGZo2aM02YYzRsPZqDFDS5waEsTvjw4PSz8qL4roLamdir4ps-XfiO8lmDEZWDkTpP_z4sic1DAobS04NMeiy3dNfDw=w1371-h700-no

We stumbled upon a place called The Pub where at 11:55 a.m. a bunch of British tourists were hanging around waiting for the place to open (opened at noon so we waited too!). Turns out Oliver Reed, during the filming of Gladiator, had his last drink there and died. It seats about 24 people and has all kinds of memorabilia in his honor. It was a fun stop.

xtFPBMMbbyn6vpUx1yz56GiJ-_yx55PMXHft4AWSAdeTkK6GctkaROB_YA4LlR5Ht8tSFN0LZGQR0A_cqkhmheFyml1Hc8B33gAWC218hbdItQunxaNP7skLsEgYI_Ld0YZX6ZUoQ2RGDxEcH7obiGlhPOlg0Cm_p3HddNWhdxKTDPlnOEmb-FV9jGNXKujG4hH2j1qOU5FJiG1556ULCKLXpDUsU46naEalCDeOL2fdaC5smbY55F7VC3UDnJPANzR4uwl9OLw2wz163v8Nn57waoqL3f7XgDhbCMlgRrXa3NvtShIVnuUXGoguTsaRg_JqOu-lRyGWVGfkUwgd5Ez9s8eZwIgg5rg_fP3NdsZEkdEfLUdWexC0-sUSPLS1Lre34i3fPjDYlc-YQ29ZzYMrLMLBa6GilnRhp8W2ozQiuH7Sjl_8FX3B9POMBbBR_v9d8ZvrKQliO_yLQuUXlo0c7QbsRIF8MkvSBDeBPjRc80hQhmY_QQJKt4wXXsgADN8OruWk37snd-eNn8pcGwe5lA-p4kcrc6JuGN74QOIng-jUJaqlLr77YLOpOTXIrepd5RyxNA9t5b09cg7Wmnlg4dOzIJx3rSzeW-HAOaXemAVH5-N1sAVTTz6MFZ1GwrVcQ_ipUnZaRIzKGBMusGBP2Q=w535-h713-no

We also ate lunch in the most wonderful restaurant called Salvino's. We were the only tourists in the place. 

Valletta was one of our favorite ports on our 25 day cruise!

XkvGHy4tSTJM9lRfTrWLTHUexYe1lQLXuUy7GjjsF1VgBanvRkvsBpGRPZjghUO6ygjWausGp3cUW4Pe1T7OhIFNswqTXSKQ_jYaib3APriFZ_NWFEagTy9EW6BFdCEEj6Gvy-7MxWW_DjA5wkKXrA33RwaTZJbKVykRQvF_SqPv1zhuHdy7a2WHwpsMecin6lQ-ThhtzgN9EwwI7_W2ntiC18i33GkAoTouUwQ2FUO-aZPMDCKIyn2l_7vPeNeKi792mSZ_IKrjkrP1WJ7WR_wXSazPYQGEa3lzZf-tyhgC62uLGnYCuN54TU0lzq3ENMtyup-nWB3q-4slp7CFMQvSV-N2XpvGh1vz9I1_8fHjyenT_95z6czTbmcH76EU6wOMmsV_rfkUvLqk92cD6lz-Cojxv9tjLils7TWy06bHTyZY6HX8cNagbpOnaVNybqWskiN2hYVNOoRLcgGLMXEFAvOz8CovwIV_OaaP-Mexso1Zm2leQbtaOvxpTn2hCHoyQ-c--WVFKedUj38jXhi2PCfuRLGBYMUC_tfe_v_oBrNl1dvUQ2KOZ49TlM4tCDR_V8zgl81H_3XX9wuWmCeg_t5FyyV-dvLmgeRRqVATKc4ON8W_O6OoFJEFi-cDnUJKNC1W6x7-wwij-Ngfa3kYwQ=w535-h713-no

Taking the public bus to Mdina from Valletta is quite easy. There is a good size bus terminal that is walkable from the port (taking the elevator up to the level of the town). Several buses go to Mdina; the ride takes about half an hour and drops you right at the gate to the old town.

Here's some good info:  https://shorebee.com/en/malta/mdina/from-valletta-cruise-port-to-mdina/public-bus

Our first visit was on a cruise.  We took the hoho.  It was at the dock where we disembarked.  The fare included a water tour which most people seemed to overlook.   The hoho bus took us to Mdina.

we thought that it was a good option.  So much so that we returned to Malta two years later for a ten day stay! 

We used Prestige Cabs. http://www.prestigecabsmalta.com/ and did the Medieval Times Tour. 

They picked us up at the port and for €105 we had Guido our driver for 4hrs. Went to Mdina via Rotunda Basilica Mosta where the un-exploded bomb landed. We could stay at Mdina as long as we wanted but on the way back to the ship he took us to other sites. We thought that was fabulous value for €105 and we saw so much more that catching a bus to Mdina which we had planned to do.