Great Formal Dresses at Low, Low Prices?

GUEST71919

I cannot lie, I am my mother’s daughter and so I love getting lovely new clothes (although I readily admit that my mother had an elegance and beauty that I will never duplicate 💗).  But where she would spend serious money on clothes (the ones they once made that lasted years), I LOVE finding great clothes for the lowest possible price. 👗 I can remember playing with her taffeta ball gowns and elbow length white gloves, but few of us now have many formal occasions.  Although my husband and I still have occasional formal events, we usually avoid as many of those as we attend!  But on a cruise, we usually take the opportunity to dress up on at least one “formal night” (or what passes for formal night) and I think it’s twice as much fun when I am wearing something new. 

So, in the spirit of sharing with my CC buddies, here are some of my favorite places to find quality formal wear at lower prices:

• Clearance racks at Macy’s, Dillard’s, and Nordstrom’s (online or in stores).
  • Burlington (at least in my area, this store has much better formal options than the other discount department stores such as Ross and TJMaxx).  This week I bought an R & M Richards knee length chiffon formal dress for $40 here that is currently sold at Dillard’s for over $100 😌 
  • Lightinthebox (.com) - this is a Chinese company that has been around a long time and offers both ready made and custom clothing (including some really lovely and unique formal wear or every type). NOTE: Their sizes run much, much smaller than US or EU sizes so make sure to look carefully at their measurement charts (and be ready to order a dress in a size that seems 4-5 sizes larger than what you normally buy).  While I can’t vouch for everything they sell, I purchased several dresses for my very busy and popular step daughter when she was in college for various formal events Miss Picky was pleased with all of them 💃🏼

So now please tell me... what are your SECRETS to finding great formal wear at a discount? 💁🏼‍♀️ 

Lynn

P.S. I realize that at some point someone has posted something similar to this thread (at this point in history, everything is a repeat after all), so no need to point that out - I am interested in answers about current sale trends from an entirely new and unique group of people. ❤️

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 1

I'm good with "new to me" clothes and have had good luck at our local thrift store.  I usually find better quality at a lower price than the discount stores.

My favorites though are the vintage dresses I have from my Great Grandmother ❤️ They were either made or altered for a shorter lady with curves - something not always easy to find today 😉 These are semi-formal/cocktail dresses and not true formal, but my daughter wore one to her school formal one year (the color isn't right for me or I'd wear it too) that was at least from 1970 (her golden anniversary) and I've worn her mother of the bride dress from the 50's a few times.

@geocruiser I may need to make you my new best friend LOL I sew some, but I am not experienced enough for that level of sewing. I’ve always been good with a needle and was not surprised when I learned that my biological paternal grandmother was a seamstress her entire life. But l spent more time with needlework (smocking, knitting, needlepoint) and not enough on sewing to get to your level.  I will definitely check the link, thanks! 😁

Update - These prices are really good 👍🏼

@pacruise804. You are so lucky to have those! My grandmother was short and tiny as is my mother (I am adopted, explains that!).  That is so special to get to wear those (and you are lucky to have a daughter who appreciates them as you do). ☺️

Lynn

Edited by 2Beeze

25 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

@geocruiser I may need to make you my new best friend LOL I sew some, but I am not experienced enough for that level of sewing. I’ve always been good with a needle and was not surprised when I learned that my biological paternal grandmother was a seamstress her entire life. But l spent more time with needlework (smocking, knitting, needlepoint) and not enough on sewing to get to your level.  I will definitely check the link, thanks! 😁

Update - These prices are really good 👍🏼

@pacruise804. You are so lucky to have those! My grandmother was short and tiny as is my mother (I am adopted, explains that!).  That is so special to get to wear those (and you are lucky to have a daughter who appreciates them as you do). ☺️

Lynn

This web site has lots of sewing info. 

https://sewing.patternreview.com/

I find that by choosing easy patterns and then getting a nice fabric does the trick.  Most time the fit and the fabric make the garment.

Charity thrift stores!  Browsing at several local stores is my hobby, and over the years I have acquired some outstanding formal/gala dresses, and DH has bought high-quality tuxedos there.

What I like best:  They were probably only worn once, so in excellent condition.  Price, obviously.  The $15 the charity gets from me saves me perhaps $500 (almost another cruise!).  And I am exposed to brands and tailors I would never have found otherwise.

• Like 1

Well, there is the country specific thing.....I like a particular Cdn shop, but not helpful here 😉   In general, though, I sew or shop second hand.

My first cruise was 1977, solo, at the tender age of 19. I spent months sewing outfits for day and evening wear though I think I might have had only one formal gown - sea green and sea blue layered chiffon with a 2 layered, 2 coloured elbow length cape a la 1930's.  I designed it from a movie, but can't remember whether it was a Fred Astaire movie, or Bringing Up Baby.  I had learned flat pattern design in high school and it was my first draped dress. My mom wrapped me in paper tape (the 2 inch brown tape you wet the glue on for mailing parcels). I had to stand for 3 hours waiting for it to dry enough we could cut it off and then hang on a wood frame my dad and I built - my own personalized mannequin. Now they use duct tape - so much faster.  I still have that dress stored with other hand mades and vintage treasures.  Too bad DD didn't have my shape to wear any of it.

Edited by mef_57
  • Like 2

Mef, that is a wonderful story, and I bet the dress was gorgeous.  My sewing was always hit or miss fit-wise; I remember tearing out seams so many times, to take in more or let out more.  Many years later I discovered a little tool that cuts those threads in a jiffy.  It was probably 15 cents then.

7 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Mef, that is a wonderful story, and I bet the dress was gorgeous.  My sewing was always hit or miss fit-wise; I remember tearing out seams so many times, to take in more or let out more.  Many years later I discovered a little tool that cuts those threads in a jiffy.  It was probably 15 cents then.

It costs about $3.75 now, but just as handy 😉  I have had my share of frustrations and sometimes projects thrown out the window until I calmed down, but it's a learning process.  Thankfully there were numerous formals in my younger life and most of them hand sewn and often designed....altered and redesigned until no longer usable. Wonderful memories. I just love dressing up and really don't care where they come from or how much they cost.

2 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

It costs about $3.75 now, but just as handy 😉  I have had my share of frustrations and sometimes projects thrown out the window until I calmed down, but it's a learning process.  Thankfully there were numerous formals in my younger life and most of them hand sewn and often designed....altered and redesigned until no longer usable. Wonderful memories. I just love dressing up and really don't care where they come from or how much they cost.

You just reminded me of a dress I made for a high school dance, many many years ago.  Taffeta, I guess, the type with two different color threads, so the effect is shimmery.  This one was emerald green.  Lo and behold, my mother's friend next door offered me her heels that were covered in a matching fabric!  (And when I think about the formal pumps we wore in those days, stiff leather covered in satin, they make today's heels seem fabulously comfortable!)

4 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

You just reminded me of a dress I made for a high school dance, many many years ago.  Taffeta, I guess, the type with two different color threads, so the effect is shimmery.  This one was emerald green.  Lo and behold, my mother's friend next door offered me her heels that were covered in a matching fabric!  (And when I think about the formal pumps we wore in those days, stiff leather covered in satin, they make today's heels seem fabulously comfortable!)

"shot" taffeta - lovely stuff. Imagine her having matching shoes!  Yes, shoes now are so much more comfortable.

1 minute ago, 2Beeze said:

Ok, you seamstresses will just have to stop bragging or sew us all a lovely new dress! :classic_rolleyes:

Lynn

We shop too 😉  and a nostalgic walk down memory lane only goes so far.  Now it is easier to shop. 

I just bought a gown from a designer consignment store on eBay and was incredibly happy with my purchase. While not extremely low priced, I paid $84 for a barely used gown (it honestly looks like it's in brand new condition) that retails for over $700. Obviously read reviews and such on any shop prior to purchasing, but I plan to keep this for a long time and am very excited to wear it on our cruise next year!

1 hour ago, AuroraRose said:

I just bought a gown from a designer consignment store on eBay and was incredibly happy with my purchase. While not extremely low priced, I paid $84 for a barely used gown (it honestly looks like it's in brand new condition) that retails for over $700. Obviously read reviews and such on any shop prior to purchasing, but I plan to keep this for a long time and am very excited to wear it on our cruise next year!

Wow... I would call that extremely low for that gown! What I guess I want is to pay $0-120 instead $400 as usual! You know, I tend to forget about EBay and I need to take a look. eBay’s start (and middle) were so different from what it is now - in some ways, it’s almost now like a confused version of Amazon with the Chinese items and with some thrift store thrown in. And the positive would be there is more protection for the buyer. I used it a few months ago for some inexpensive “pearls” that were less than running up to Macy’s for some on sale. I hope you will find you way back here and post us a photo of dress on your next cruise, I would love to see it! 👗

👠

Lynn

• Like 1

Lynn, I will definitely post a picture of it from our cruise!  I actually rented it for a fancy Valentine's day dinner at our wedding venue (free to attend for all past brides and grooms at the venue!) this past year from Rent the Runway, and my husband loved it so much he asked if I could buy it. Of course I have no good pictures from that event either (the pro photographers they had there who definitely took pictures of us never posted them to their website). I would be happy to share the shop I used if it's allowed. Also I have no affiliation; just an extremely happy buyer who plans to make more purchases from there in the future! 

5 hours ago, AuroraRose said:

Lynn, I will definitely post a picture of it from our cruise!  I actually rented it for a fancy Valentine's day dinner at our wedding venue (free to attend for all past brides and grooms at the venue!) this past year from Rent the Runway, and my husband loved it so much he asked if I could buy it. Of course I have no good pictures from that event either (the pro photographers they had there who definitely took pictures of us never posted them to their website). I would be happy to share the shop I used if it's allowed. Also I have no affiliation; just an extremely happy buyer who plans to make more purchases from there in the future! 

Your husband asking if you could buy it was quite the stamp of approval! 💃🏼  I don’t think it’s even a small problem to share stores website’s or names, tour operator names or sites, or most anything except when it involves travel agencies (as CC does referrals for cruises).  That would sort of defeat the purpose if they did I think, but I’m quite certain it’s no problem.

Now if only tomorrow wasn’t Monday!

Lynn

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:12 PM, pcur said:

Thrift stores and ebay.  You'd be amazed!

A timely post, I was just coming to update! 👯‍♀️👭 I think thrift shops are out for me, I swear my mother ruined me with all her antiquing since those places sometimes had clothing (of course of a different type from modern thrift stores) and they were so very old and so terribly musty and dusty! I now have a psychological block on the issue 😂 

But on EBay, I did go check after the posts from @AuroraRose and was impressed at least with some of the stores I found (although I was not terribly impressed with the fact that eBay doesn’t seem to have changed design-wise since it began! 🤷🏼‍♀️). I ordered two new dresses from “BHFO” shop (they also sell at Amazon); they were both too big, so I returned them and ordered one of those in a smaller size. Easy peasy for the most part (free return shipping, not all offer that of course). 

Also - coming up is Dillard’s biggest clearance sale, stores and online, on January 1 (the only downside is when ordering from online some prices are so low they are “no return,” but it can be better than battling the other customers in stores).  Online shopping also allows you to pull from all available sizes/styles rather than what is in a single store so I like it for that aspect online . I have found clearance items tend to run small, but if it is a great item for 75% off I don’t care if it is 4 sizes over what I usually wear! 👍🏼 💫 I have been known to do both online and in store for that particular sale (especially for clothes for DH since men’s sizing is a great deal more standard) 😁

Also, Chico’s has already started its 40% off all items that normally starts on Black Friday. 😄 My 91 yo mother likes their jackets, so that is a nice discount for Santa! 

I will return to update other sale options. Feel free to add yours!!! 👚👖👗👙👠👡👢🧣👒👜👛

Lynn