Rotterdam-Santo Tomas de Castilla

chill6x6

Hi,

STILL looking at this Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Rotterdam that includes Santo Tomas de Castilla.  Have some of you been to this port?  What did you think of it and what did you do?  This is one of few Caribbean ports that I haven't been to so that's an attraction in itself.  Any info you can tell me will be appreciated!

We've been there twice.  Once on Oosterdam and last March on Rotterdam. 

We're not into shore excursions so no comment there. 

It's not a pretty place.   Very much a working port.  The water is dirty with a lot of debris.  

We did spend a lot of time watching the cranes loading/unloading ships.

It is, by far, the least attractive port we've visited.

We've been there twice on HAL. Both time took tours. The first time we went to Tikal. Expensive but awesome. Worth every penny we paid. The second time we took a tour up the river and visited a school. Again very worthwhile tour. 

The Central America ports are way different than the typical Mexican and Caribbean ports. Bit run down but the tours offer you a chance to visit the locals in a non commercial location. The people were gracious and friendly. Wished HAL offered up more tours down there.  

We have been to this port several times and have enjoyed it each time.

If you are leaving the port area, please take a ship sponsored tour. This is a country where being with a vetted tour guide is important for your safety. The tour guide will know where it is safe for you to go.

Don't be put off by my statement. Besides cruise excursions, we have also had a two week land tour of the country and found Guatemala to be a beautiful country and the Mayan people to be the friendliest people we have ever met.

If you don't wish to leave the port, go off the ship and go to the building on the port premises. In the building will be constant entertainment by local musicians and dancers.  There will also be local vendors with local crafts. 

Be sure to be on deck for departure. The port workers and the local entertainers will give you a send off unequaled in other ports.

If the departure ritual is the same as on our several  HAL cruises to this port, there will be interaction between the ship's horn and the various port vehicles.

The first time we were there we did the excursion to Tikal -- well worth the long day and it is expensive.  We do enjoy seeing ruins.

There is not much to see at the port -- it is a working port.  You do not want to walk about this port on your own.

The next time we were there we just stayed on the ship.

Thanks so much for the replies!  Sounds a LITTLE like Belize which I really like.  I like Mayan ruins too and half the fun is just getting there!  

I don't guess there's way to see the excursions HAL offers without having a cruise booked?  Anyone remember the price for the Tikal excursion?

Thanks!

It was expensive over $1000 for two. But you need to understand what was involved.

Basically you leave the ship on a bus and that takes you to an old military airfield where you board a turbo prop plant for about a 45 minute flight into the country. Then you take another bus for about an hours drive to the ruins. They give you a couple of hours to visit. Then onto the bus to a small cafe for local lunch. Finally the bus ride to the airfield, return flight and bused back to the ship. We were the first off and last on that day.

I can't say enough times how great that trip was. We plan on doing that tour again. If you are unfamiliar with Tikal just Google it. When we went they told us they believed to have uncovered only about 10% of it. Current articles discussing the new technology using LIDAR they believe there is way more to uncover. Here's a link from NatGeo:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/maya-laser-lidar-guatemala-pacunam/

• Like 1

I am booked on the Rotterdam for the November 25, 2018 sailing I have the excursions pdf 

the Tikal tour is $649.95

There is a 5 hour tour called Ak-Tenamit People and the Garifuna Village of Livingston for $119.95

Quirigua Archaeological Ruins 4.5 hour tour is $89.95

Second (third, fourth?) the recommendation to take the Tikal excursion - the place is so remote that there is no good way to get there, hence the unique opportunity this remote port stop offers.  Thanks to HAL for making this possibility available even though the port itself is of little to no interest. 

One other aspect of the flight to Tikal was seeing active volcanos from the air. Be sure to wear good walking/hiking shoes - the terrain at Tikal can be rough, uneven and has many roots sticking out. Though one can just sit in the main area and soak in the details, the ghosts and the monkeys swinging in the trees.  Like all Mayan sites, the more you learn about this culture and its art forms upfront the more intriguing the time becomes. This is a major Mayan site - should not be missed if given a chance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We will be there on our April cruise on Rotterdam . Decided for this port to just check our the entertainment at the port building & peruse the vendors wares :classic_biggrin: We have zero desire to get on a local prop plane :classic_sad:

Obviously your choice. But this trip was marked as a "bucket list" trip by our Dr who had done many of these out of the way trips. Our trip was not on a local prop plane but a legit local airline. Plane was a 20-30 passenger turboprop. Two pilots and two stewardesses, clean and comfortable. 

I too was a bit apprehensive but after posting questions here on CC one reply from a very nice member listed her concerns and the research she did on the airline especially since her husband was a pilot. It's been a few years and I'll see if I can find the link. 

Ok, here is what she told me back in 2015:

Hi Dan,

Your wife can relax! go to the TAG (Guatemalan airline) web site for a photo of the plane. Below is the description. This is the largest plane in their fleet. The plane looked new and well maintained. The seats were leather and the interior was white, giving it a spacious feeling. We had a pilot and co-pilot and a TAG flight attendant....who gave the preflight instructions in Spanish, then in English. It was exactly the same as any US commercial flight as far as instructions. I can understand your concern....I asked a lot of questions before the cruise, calling HAL. My DH ( who didn't go) was an AF pilot and then worked in aerospace wanted info. I was very comfortable with the plane and professionalism of the crew. I have flown on smaller planes than this on Delta.

I would not hesitate to take this tour again....it was fascinating. Our tour was divided up at Tikal, and there were only 7 of us and the guide, so he took us through the jungle to more sites that the other larger group. Our vans were allowed to drive all the way I to the main plaza of pyramids, saving about 45 minutes of walking time. I hope this helps! Karen

saab340a_des.jpg

The Saab 340 A twin-engine turboprop aircraft is made in Sweden, Saab Aircraft has two General Electric engines of great power, which makes it one of the safest aircraft in its category, has a spacious cabin with seating for 34 passengers ample seating for passenger comfort, bathroom and necessary for board service equipment. This aircraft has a pressurized cabin system with active noise control cabin, reducing noise giving more comfort for the passenger. This aircraft also has the configuration option to air freight.

Capacity: 34 passengers

Number of aircraft available: 4

Maximum capacity: 8,085 lbs. (3,670 kgs.)

Edited by dogo88
add letter
  • Like 1

For anyone interested in the Quiriqua Archeological Ruins, the site does not contain buildings but instead is a collection of stellae.  Your guide will explain the symbols to you and translate the writing. 

It is interesting and we have been there twice. Once on a HAL tour and once on the two week  land tour we did.

On the way into the site, the road goes through a banana plantation. The HAL excursion we were on stopped at the plantation on the way out and we had a short tour on how bananas are cultivated. If you have never been to a banana plantation,  it is interesting. (You will also realize that buying "organic" bananas is a waste of money.)

We have also been to Tikal (on that two week land tour). For anyone hesitate to walk into the area, the site does provide a tram into and out of the site.

For anyone who might decide to use the restroom on the site, the rest rooms are clean but bring a roll of TP and a small bar of soap as the restrooms may be short on supplies.

• Like 1

Just now, Homosassa said:

We have also been to Tikal (on that two week land tour). For anyone hesitate to walk into the area, the site does provide a tram into and out of the site.

For anyone who might decide to use the restroom on the site, the rest rooms are clean but bring a roll of TP and a small bar of soap as the restrooms may be short on supplies.

For anyone wondering about driving to Tikal from the port, there are roads that go to the site. However, from the port to Tikal is about three - four hours one way.

It is not that the it is a far distance but that the roads do become narrow and slow going.  On that two week land tour we had in Guatemala, the route to Tikal was by highway to Santo  Tomas where we turned west to drive to where we could cross the Dulce River and then go north to Tikal.

We were put up for the night about an hour south of Tikal and then weny to the site the next morning.

32 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Thanks so much for the great info on this port!  Some GREAT ideas!  I love the Lamanai ruins in Belize(have been twice, third PLANNED!) and Tikal sounds right down my alley!  You only live once, RIGHT?

My rule is I can always eat peanut butter sandwiches at home for a few months after the fact and pay off those travel extras.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, welovetocruise1234 said:

We are on this cruise for New Years. We will be doing this independent excursion that has had excellent reviews.

http://www.happyfishtravel.com/index.php/rio-dulce-canyon-ak-tenamit#

We took this tour in January of this year and enjoyed it. It was very interesting and the scenery was beautiful. The walk to the school was fairly far over some uneven ground, so if anyone has mobility issues, they may want to stay on the boat / at the dock during that portion. I attached a photo of the typical boat that was used. 

DF00A836-EA42-422C-BA4D-544A45BB1823.jpeg

We took a narrated river boat ride (similar to the Happy Fish link tour, but ours was shorter - just a few hours and did not involve walking), which we purchased from one of the many tour operators awaiting the ship's arrival at the port. It's a popular local attraction and numerous companies offer it at low cost.

It was a lovely experience leaving directly from the port, gliding past beautiful, lush scenery, and stopping at a village right by the water where local people had baskets and other wares for sale. 

As I recall, the port has a large shed where vendors set up stalls and sell local handicrafts, and when the ship sailed away at dusk, the tour operators and vendors lined up trucks, flashed their headlights as a salute, and people wearing traditional local dress danced in front of them and waved goodbye.

This has been a few years ago, and things do change, but it was a nice day in port for us.

23 hours ago, dogo88 said:

Obviously your choice. But this trip was marked as a "bucket list" trip by our Dr who had done many of these out of the way trips. Our trip was not on a local prop plane but a legit local airline. Plane was a 20-30 passenger turboprop. Two pilots and two stewardesses, clean and comfortable. 

I too was a bit apprehensive but after posting questions here on CC one reply from a very nice member listed her concerns and the research she did on the airline especially since her husband was a pilot. It's been a few years and I'll see if I can find the link. 

Hi Dan,

Your wife can relax! go to the TAG (Guatemalan airline) web site for a photo of the plane. Below is the description. This is the largest plane in their fleet. The plane looked new and well maintained. The seats were leather and the interior was white, giving it a spacious feeling. We had a pilot and co-pilot and a TAG flight attendant....who gave the preflight instructions in Spanish, then in English. It was exactly the same as any US commercial flight as far as instructions. I can understand your concern....I asked a lot of questions before the cruise, calling HAL. My DH ( who didn't go) was an AF pilot and then worked in aerospace wanted info. I was very comfortable with the plane and professionalism of the crew. I have flown on smaller planes than this on Delta.

I would not hesitate to take this tour again....it was fascinating. Our tour was divided up at Tikal, and there were only 7 of us and the guide, so he took us through the jungle to more sites that the other larger group. Our vans were allowed to drive all the way I to the main plaza of pyramids, saving about 45 minutes of walking time. I hope this helps! Karen

saab340a_des.jpg

The Saab 340 A twin-engine turboprop aircraft is made in Sweden, Saab Aircraft has two General Electric engines of great power, which makes it one of the safest aircraft in its category, has a spacious cabin with seating for 34 passengers ample seating for passenger comfort, bathroom and necessary for board service equipment. This aircraft has a pressurized cabin system with active noise control cabin, reducing noise giving more comfort for the passenger. This aircraft also has the configuration option to air freight.

Yes Sir! The Saab 340 is a proven commuter aircraft! American Eagle (American's commuter subsidiary) used them for years albeit with only one flight attendant

Related image

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Related image

23 hours ago, dogo88 said:

Hi Dan,

saab340a_des.jpg

I have mobility issues & don't think a trip of this kind would be best for me :classic_huh: