[[Template core/front/global/announcementTop is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
[[Template core/front/global/announcementContentTop is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can do Cancun from Cozumel on cruise excursion?

chong67

You didn’t provide your port times so it is hard to answer that. If you are in port from 7AM to 6 or 7PM you could get 3 - 4 hours in Cancun with a tour like that in the link below. But honestly I don’t know why you would even spend the time to go there. The hotel zone doesn’t have anything to offer to day visitors, nor does the town of Cancun. Look at options on Coz, or if time permits consider taking the 40-minute ferry to Playa Del Carmen and an excursion to one of the highlights nearby.

https://www.cozumel-tours.com/private-cancun-tour.htm

• Like 1

Ok, nice port times to enjoy Coz, gorgeous beaches and snorkeling or diving if you are into that. You’ll find recommendations for great independent excursion operators on the Cozumel forum on trip advisor if you want to do something without talking a ship excursion.

Cancun is a popular destination for land-based visitors - those staying at one of the many oceanfront or lagoon-side hotels, condos, and all-inclusive resorts. But not much there for a day visitor. Do some research on the resorts and see if flying into Cancun for a week in the future appeals to you!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I wouldn’t waste my time going to Cancun. It’s indeed a touristy area, with tons of hotels, shops and restaurants, but it’s better suited for people on land vacations rather than Cruise day trippers. The hotel zone is just a long stretch of beach filled with hotels shoulder to shoulder, many which don’t even let you in unless you’re a guest, which will limit your access to the beach to a handful of access points. Stay in Cozumel.

On 2/29/2020 at 6:32 PM, Frankieee said:

I see pictures of Cancun but not sure it it’s photoshopped or real thing blue waters and all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes the water colors are gorgeous, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world...

20 hours ago, blue_water said:

Yes the water colors are gorgeous, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world...

One thing to keep in mind is that the beaches along Cancun and the rest of the Riviera Maya have been severely affected by sargassum in recent years. We traveled to Cancun last May for a mini family getaway, and the beach at our hotel was unusable, with mountains of rotting sargassum along the beach, and the water looked like chocolate. 

It’s my understanding that the problem with sargassum is seasonal, so it’s a good idea to check sargassum reports and which beaches are being affected in order to plan accordingly. I was in Cancun just two days ago for business, and there was not a hint of sargassum, quite different than last May, but hotel personnel said that it will be back in a few months. 

946CDF8D-0CB4-44D0-99ED-47BE4DCA87DA.jpeg

Edited by Tapi

Gorgeous this year!

2015 - 2018 and more recently ALL of the Caribbean was impacted by the sargasso, including all of the Riviera Maya and Cozumel. We haven't seen it that bad in some time here near Playa, but it varies by location and day...

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1