Lobster??

KyOh

Since we've had quite a discussion regarding cookies (macaroons/macarons!) what about lobster?  Is it ever served on Viking Ocean vessels?  We've been on two trips and I don't recall but they were a couple of years ago.  So any good news for me??

Yes, and it was well prepared each time we had it.  Seemed to be available quite often on the World Cruise.  But if you are speaking of the whole Maine lobster complete with bib and shell crackers not so much.

Edited by Jim Avery

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Once aboard ship you can use the Viking app to immediately view upcoming breakfast, lunch and dinner menus for every day of your cruise.  This allowed us to adjust our specialty bookings in order to avoid missing favorites in The Restaurant.  App is amazing. 

Is that information also on the TV?  

We are booked on our first VO cruise in Sept 2020. We have been on several other cruise lines and my experience with Lobster on them has been mostly disappointing, usually small frozen lobster tails.  Does VO use frozen lobster tails? I would think having live lobsters on a cruise ship is impossible. How good are the Lobsters served on VO?

Just back a week or so ago from Eastern Seaboard Explorer on Star.  Lobster was available in the Restaurant two evenings on our cruise.  One night it was an Asian style half a lobster tail and I think scallops.  The second time was Thermador.  The first was good, the second was marginal with mostly sauce and mushrooms with a few chunks of lobster served in the two halves of the lobster's shell.  Seems strange that whole lobsters or at least tails were not served as a "Destination" offering given that we were in New England with stops in Halifax and Boston.  I know they provision the ship throughout the cruise as I saw crew loading produce, etc. at nearly every port.  While on the topic of dinner in the Restaurant, the "Destination" offerings seemed strange at times (e.g. the Destination offering for New York City was a cheeseburger, not what I usually associate with NYC) and the service in both the Restaurant and World Café were sketchy throughout the cruise having to flag down a host on several occasions after sitting at the table for nearly 20 minutes with no one even offering water.  On other occasions, we went through more than one course with empty wine glasses.

Edited by ropomo

13 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Once aboard ship you can use the Viking app to immediately view upcoming breakfast, lunch and dinner menus for every day of your cruise.  This allowed us to adjust our specialty bookings in order to avoid missing favorites in The Restaurant.  App is amazing. 

But beware, if you are doing BTB cruises, even under the same booking number, the App will only show details for your current cruise.  I found that a bit frustrating.

1 hour ago, KyOh said:

Regarding the app, do you load it on the ship or can I load it now?  We depart March 2 for Northern Lights.

You load it before you board.  On the last cruise, we could not get it to load once on board.  I know that makes no sense but it's a true story

On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, terrydtx said:

We are booked on our first VO cruise in Sept 2020. We have been on several other cruise lines and my experience with Lobster on them has been mostly disappointing, usually small frozen lobster tails.  Does VO use frozen lobster tails? I would think having live lobsters on a cruise ship is impossible. How good are the Lobsters served on VO?

On my 15 Ta VO cruise in 2018 ,we had  seafood of all kinds. The lobster served in MDR was  not the tiny rock  tail kind. These were huge. Very tasty and not rubberly or dry. The   variiety  of seafood served in the buffet each night was great. They had a sea food grill set up  on the outside deck one evening with grilled fish. 

Just got back from the SKY, Lobster in MDR was whole (split down middle) and  pliers for cracking the legs. It was in the WC that night but just the tails.  We had it again at a sea day brunch along with King Crab Legs and the best Shrimp you will ever have on a cruise.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:13 AM, terrydtx said:

Your first cruise is a very long way off and a lot is going to change in that period of time.

I tried the lobster with sage butter on our first cruise but I don't hear anyone talking about it now. Do they still offer it?

On 11/1/2018 at 8:55 AM, ropomo said:

Seems strange that whole lobsters or at least tails were not served as a "Destination" offering given that we were in New England with stops in Halifax and Boston.

Maybe they figured that folks would be eating their fill of lobster while on shore. There are many places in Boston not far from the ship where you can tuck into a good steamed lobster: No Name, Legal Seafood (multiple locations along the waterfront), James Hook and Co (a seafood shack not a sitdown restaurants). For seafood enthusiasts, another local delicacy is fried whole belly clams.

• 3 weeks later...

On our TA on Sky last April, hubby was having lobster as was the hubby of the couple with whom we were sharing the table.  The waiter stopped by and said that the kitchen had gotten s little ahead on prepping lobsters and asked if they would like another.  They looked at each other and said sure...the look on their faces when the waiter sat down a second one in front of both of them, not just one to share between them!

91D013BB-0528-4D63-96A6-66C5A5B16EE5.jpeg

C522D42B-4540-40AF-9296-EDD771F67D1F.jpeg

• Like 1