Celebrity Apex's Blocks Are In The House!

Tall-Cruiser

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

I think so.  They painted that pretty late on the Edge - I remember the "controversy." 😉  It would be fun to have a little different design for each ship.

I looked back and the white area below the MC was painted in late May - early June - about 5 months before ship was delivered to X (and that area had been blue in an earlier picture). The Apex will be delivered in March of next year, so about 9 months away. I looked back at the Edge Blocks thread and the Apex appears to possibly be a little ahead, but of course it is hard to tell.  Can't wait until her sheets come off!

23 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I looked back and the white area below the MC was painted in late May - early June - about 5 months before ship was delivered to X (and that area had been blue in an earlier picture). The Apex will be delivered in March of next year, so about 9 months away. I looked back at the Edge Blocks thread and the Apex appears to possibly be a little ahead, but of course it is hard to tell. 

Can't wait until her sheets come off!

Oh my! 😜😉

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Are you are talking about the tent they have over the area, with staging underneath?  (think you have a typo - vivered?)

image.png.5b18aeeb8e79641288e99704afb53655.png

Covered!  Sorry...  tented is what I thought...thanks

Just a comparison perhaps of the proposed  Edge "Jumbo" to the RCCL Quantum Class, Ovation of the Seas. 

Hubby and I sailed 45 days on the Ovation of the Seas when she was new and then on the Edge this past March.  We loved both ships.  The concept for the new Edge "Jumbo" seems like it will be about the size of the Ovation.  We have compared the Eden area of Edge with the Two 70 area of Ovation, and also the 4 smaller dining room concept on both.  These were 2 of the areas we loved most on both ships.  Anxious to see what 2021 brings and we will be booking the new Edge "Jumbo" when she comes out just to do a further comparison! 

52 minutes ago, driftychick said:

Just a comparison perhaps of the proposed  Edge "Jumbo" to the RCCL Quantum Class, Ovation of the Seas. 

Hubby and I sailed 45 days on the Ovation of the Seas when she was new and then on the Edge this past March.  We loved both ships.  The concept for the new Edge "Jumbo" seems like it will be about the size of the Ovation.  We have compared the Eden area of Edge with the Two 70 area of Ovation, and also the 4 smaller dining room concept on both.  These were 2 of the areas we loved most on both ships.  Anxious to see what 2021 brings and we will be booking the new Edge "Jumbo" when she comes out just to do a further comparison! 

Yes, we will be there with you on the Jumbo (the Beyond) - "just for comparison purposes" 😉

Thanks for the comparison with the Ovation. It looks like the Ovation is bigger, at 168,866 tons compared to the Jumbo's proposed 140,600, but it gives an idea of a ship in that size range. It also sounds comparable in some of the concepts.

I'm just not feeling that the Beyond will feel that much bigger than the Edge, though I could be wrong. The new section should add about 8% more ship tonnage and about 8.5% more guests. I'm hoping to see interesting new public spaces as well. It's all in the layout - a good design will spread people out with a variety of choices. For example, I am hopeful that having more public venue choices will help with the Grand Plaza/Martini Bar crowds and noise in the evening.

I am having fun guessing where the extra section will be located. 🙂

47 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, we will be there with you on the Jumbo (the Beyond) - "just for comparison purposes" 😉

Thanks for the comparison with the Ovation. It looks like the Ovation is bigger, at 168,866 tons compared to the Jumbo's proposed 140,600, but it gives an idea of a ship in that size range. It also sounds comparable in some of the concepts.

I'm just not feeling that the Beyond will feel that much bigger than the Edge, though I could be wrong. The new section should add about 8% more ship tonnage and about 8.5% more guests. I'm hoping to see interesting new public spaces as well. It's all in the layout - a good design will spread people out with a variety of choices. For example, I am hopeful that having more public venue choices will help with the Grand Plaza/Martini Bar crowds and noise in the evening.

I am having fun guessing where the extra section will be located. 🙂

My guess is that there won't be any IV's on Beyond.

I also think that some of the extra space added to Apex will be devoted to suite guests, with a larger Luminae, Retreat Lounge and pool area.

Though speculation is always fun, I'd like to see the final product a lot faster. 😁

Patience is not one of my better traits...

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

I also think that some of the extra space added to Apex will be devoted to suite guests, with a larger Luminae, Retreat Lounge and pool area.

Though speculation is always fun, I'd like to see the final product a lot faster. 😁

My guess is that the Beyond will not have as many IV's, if any. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hybrid of the IV and traditional cabins as an option to keep some consistency in the Edge Class, but who knows? I am not patient either - can't wait until Nov/Dec when the new itins are available! 🙂

4 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

For APEX, we'd like more space for gen guest areas....like a wine bar, jazz club, comedy club, reading room, quiet spaces,   and a much better location and view  for BLU.  Spa was perfect as is!    Obviously...construction is fully underway so we must await the "reveal" of what is already on the plans!

We won't be interested in the JUMBO...To our taste, that'd be more of  a Royal C ship in Celebrity name only.  Can't  really do modern luxury  and elegance on the biggies other than QM 2!

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

For APEX, we'd like more space for gen guest areas....like a wine bar, jazz club, comedy club, reading room, quiet spaces,   and a much better location and view  for BLU.  Spa was perfect as is!    Obviously...construction is fully underway so we must await the "reveal" of what is already on the plans!

We won't be interested in the JUMBO...To our taste, that'd be more of  a Royal C ship in Celebrity name only.  Can't  really do modern luxury  and elegance on the biggies other than QM 2!

Though we've never sailed on a Royal C “Jumbo” we look forward to sailing on Beyond.

Having sailed on the QM2, I don't see why X's modern luxury or elegance can't be just as viable on a larger  scale. It all depends on the ship's design. 😊

One of the differences in Ovation is that the "Plaza" on the walk to what on Edge is Eden and on Ovation is Two20, is that it features restaurant venues with both indoor and outdoor seating as well as "indoor Plaza" seating.  It also has shops and seating areas which takes the edge off the centrum (Martini Bar) area.  There is also a two story Music Hall on this floor.

I am excited to see the differences in the Edge "Jumbo", but, I for one like the Infinite Balconies and do not want to see them go away!

I found this interesting article. Apparently the Apex will be able to be plugged in to get power in some ports.

"Celebrity Apex will become the first ship in Celebrity Cruises’ existing fleet to use shore power when it launches next year.

The 2,910-passenger vessel – the second in the line’s Edge-series – will be fitted with one connection to take electricity from the country’s national grid when docked in a port.

However, just 14 ports, including two in Europe, have shore power facilities for cruise ships. This means Apex will also use conventional fuel when needed.

Nick Rose, director of Royal Caribbean Cruises’ environmental programs, said: “Shore power is the cleanest form of energy available if it comes from a clean source.”

Previously, Celebrity Cruises’ vessel Celebrity Century used shore power to sail after it was retrofitted, but the ship left the fleet in 2014.

Rose said: “Our technology is so far ahead it shows that we are not just reacting to public perception.

“Over the last two or three years, more people are asking what we do for the environment.

“We have this saying that has been ingrained in us when building ships and that is always ‘go above and beyond compliance’.”

Jo Rzymowska, Celebrity’s vice president and managing director for the UK, Ireland and Asia, said there would be “no significant architectural changes” between Apex and sister ship Celebrity Edge."

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/331788/celebrity-apex-to-use-shore-power-electricity

• 2 weeks later...

This is a video of LLP talking about the differences between Apex and Edge. She doesn't really give us any more info. Aargh!!

I don't think this has been posted yet - it's a video of the Apex being moved from Form B to the dock Penhoët in St. Nazaire, France in May. It is long, but a nice look at the ship.

https://youtu.be/ra48PXQ3s70

Edited by vtcruising

15 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Oh, for those interested, there is going to be a Microbrew cruise on the Apex March  20, 2021 cruise. It doesn't look like a charter since one can book it on X website. Lots of SV's still available. 🙂

Hmm.

What is included in the microbrew cruise?  Pricing`?

Winder if  that possibly signals that a  brew type venue will be on board?

On 6/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, driftychick said:

One of the differences in Ovation is that the "Plaza" on the walk to what on Edge is Eden and on Ovation is Two20, is that it features restaurant venues with both indoor and outdoor seating as well as "indoor Plaza" seating.  It also has shops and seating areas which takes the edge off the centrum (Martini Bar) area.  There is also a two story Music Hall on this floor.

I am excited to see the differences in the Edge "Jumbo", but, I for one like the Infinite Balconies and do not want to see them go away!

I agree about the Infinite Verandas.

Would not like a mall type plaza to walk through on  the way to the EDEN area...too much like Royal C.  Guess we will see what  is placed in that corridor.. 

Tiffany seems misplaced  there and BLU has no views..Some nice seating and a "book nook" would be very nice!

38 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Oh, for those interested, there is going to be a Microbrew cruise on the Apex March  20, 2021 cruise. It doesn't look like a charter since one can book it on X website. Lots of SV's still available. 🙂

Interesting, we booked this cruise when we were on Edge in April.

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Interesting, we booked this cruise when we were on Edge in April.

Here's the video I found. I suspect it will be like the winery cruises, with some special events, but not much of an impact on the cruise overall or it may just be one beer tasting with the group advertising it?

https://youtu.be/QYI3byjY9DA

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here's the video I found. I suspect it will be like the winery cruises, with some special events, but not much of an impact on the cruise overall or it may just be one beer tasting with the group advertising it?

Thanks...looks like a group they are promoting...says there will be a tasting party for the group, I assume on board. Not sure how fares will compare with reg fares, but we are not  booked for that week anyhow.  Only planning for 1 APEX cruise...and that's Nov 2020.

We went to a brewery in San Juan for a roll call lunch once...it was  great fun.  Not sure if that place survived the last hurricane. We usually skip San Juan these days,..long walk to anything!

48 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks, they have a max 200 cabins so not overly concerned.  Our last cruise had 800 women from Abraham Hicks and they were not a problem.  In fact they turned the Grand Plaza into a big party every night.

• Like 1

Following this thread as we are

booked on Apex as well. Sailed Edge

last March and loved that ship! I agree with several posters that major structural changes shouldn’t be expected but hoping for some minor design changes such as wind barrier for RTG and MC and some furniture changes/improvements. Looking forward to new art installations to enjoy!

On 6/24/2019 at 8:48 AM, driftychick said:

driftychick- I agree with your thoughts here.  We sailed on both Edge and Anthem OTS (Quantum Class) which is 168000 tons and 4200 passengers.  We found many similarities between the two and you mentioned Two70 at the aft of the ship on Anthem being similar to Eden on Edge.  Also the 4 dining rooms which RCCL designed for Dynamic Dining which was a flop concept.  But the version of DD (2.0?) on Edge seems to be much improved over that concept.  No dedicated suite retreat area on Anthem but it does have Coastal Kitchen similar to Luminae.  There is now Ultra Quantum Class on RCCL soon to be followed by Icon Class (no details yet).  It will be interesting to see what features the Jumbo E-Class shares with these new classes of upcoming RCCL ships.  Stay tuned!