Majestic Princess - more 'move over' offers.

NSWP

Friends of ours are booked on Majestic Princess, 5 November, next week - Sydney NZ - return.  In the past 2 weeks they have had 3 move over offers from Princess to vacate their balcony cabin and take an inside cabin and either be refunded their cruise fare of around $3500 pp x 2 = $7000 as refundable obc OR instead of the OBC take a 17 day cruise anywhere in the world.  So Princess is sure filling the Majestic and overselling, it would appear so anyway.   Our friends are declining the offer.  I would have taken it, but them I am a cruiseaholic, for them it is their first cruise, they can't/won't fly and they are going for the 'cruise experience.'  I told them to 'Come Back New.' lol.

Edited by NSWP
erro

Another nice deal, if you're fortunate enough to be in a position to take it. Here, you can still take the cruise at least as well, albeit in a room without a view. But basically it would be a free cruise then you can use the $7000 back for whatever else you want.

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Another nice deal, if you're fortunate enough to be in a position to take it. Here, you can still take the cruise at least as well, albeit in a room without a view. But basically it would be a free cruise then you can use the $7000 back for whatever else you want.

Exactly even if you spent $2000 on board of the refunded $7000, you would still have 5 grand in ye olde sky rocket.

Edited by NSWP
add

Les, was it for and inside and/or a FREE one in the future?   I have already accepted a move over offer for a free cruise next year, but I would really have to think quickly about giving up a balcony for an inside cabin, but a free cruise is a free cruise.    I am booked on Majestic, Melbourne (it leaves Sydney a few days earlier) to Singapore in 2020.   To book from Melbourne now, is only a guarantee balcony and I am hoping for a phone call.   On my last Princess cruise to Tassy, 2 days before a cruise from Melbourne, someone from Princess rang me to ask if I was looking forward to my next cruise, silly me said absolutely and he said OK and hung up.   I think someone was going to offer me something if I had said NO.   I will be prepared next time, should I be lucky enough to get an offer by email or phone.

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

Les, was it for and inside and/or a FREE one in the future?   I have already accepted a move over offer for a free cruise next year, but I would really have to think quickly about giving up a balcony for an inside cabin, but a free cruise is a free cruise.    I am booked on Majestic, Melbourne (it leaves Sydney a few days earlier) to Singapore in 2020.   To book from Melbourne now, is only a guarantee balcony and I am hoping for a phone call.   On my last Princess cruise to Tassy, 2 days before a cruise from Melbourne, someone from Princess rang me to ask if I was looking forward to my next cruise, silly me said absolutely and he said OK and hung up.   I think someone was going to offer me something if I had said NO.   I will be prepared next time, should I be lucky enough to get an offer by email or phone.

According to them it was 1. Take the inside cabin and accept the refundable obc on Monday or 2. Take the inside cabin, no obc but accept the 17 day cruise anywhere - inside cabin, upgrade if available.  As I said I would have taken option 1 inside cabin and $7000 (2 pax.)   Monday's sailing must be really overbooked for Princess to be offering these enticements.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I thought you needed an accessible cabin now. anyway, I have never had an offer on any of cruises we had planned.

Yeah that’d be the big issue. But if it was move down from an accessible mini suite to an accessible balcony or accessible OV I’d sure be considering it.

actually trying to source a new wheelchair to fit through a standard cabin door,

found one in victoria but shipping was crazy, found one overseas but they kept messing around about payment methods. So still looking.

couldnt even bid for an upgrade on Norwegian.

We had multiple offers for Golden Princess a couple of years ago. They kept getting better and better. Had we not been travelling with a group we would have taken the last one up as it meant a fat sum of OBC plus a free cruise anywhere Princess sails up to 12 nights. Plus flight full reimbursement. We were only on a four night journey - Adl - Mel via KI and Port Lincoln. 

Edited by Pushka

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

We had multiple offers for Golden Princess a couple of years ago. They kept getting better and better. Had we not been travelling with a group we would have taken the last one up as it meant a fat sum of OBC plus a free cruise anywhere Princess sails up to 12 nights. Plus flight full reimbursement. We were only on a four night journey - Adl - Mel via KI and Port Lincoln. 

I have wanted to do that KI and Port Lincoln cruise out of Adelaide or Melbourne for a while, still looking for a time that suits.

Gut.  Can't help you in your search for a narrow wheelchair.

I was on the Pacific Jewel recently and was pleased to find that my TravelScoot scooter could get though the door openings without needing to be manhandled or folded.  This must be the last of the Princess ships that could cope with wheelchairs and such in standard cabins as from the Sun class onwards the doors are too narrow.

Since changing to a TravelScoot a whole new world has opened up.  I can now get around airports, shopping malls, department stores and many shops.  The downside for some would be the need to be capable of lifting it in and out of the car and folding it when necessary.  It only weighs 15 Kg. and fits into my Holden Trax and as I can still drive I can get around independently.

17 hours ago, Iainmac said:

Gut.  Can't help you in your search for a narrow wheelchair.

I was on the Pacific Jewel recently and was pleased to find that my TravelScoot scooter could get though the door openings without needing to be manhandled or folded.  This must be the last of the Princess ships that could cope with wheelchairs and such in standard cabins as from the Sun class onwards the doors are too narrow.

Since changing to a TravelScoot a whole new world has opened up.  I can now get around airports, shopping malls, department stores and many shops.  The downside for some would be the need to be capable of lifting it in and out of the car and folding it when necessary.  It only weighs 15 Kg. and fits into my Holden Trax and as I can still drive I can get around independently.

I can’t imagine having to go back to not having a power chair.

my Old one you could collapse and still wheel it, so it didn’t need lifting through the door, my current chair folds nicely, but needs to be turned sideways and lifted through narrower doorways.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:24 AM, MicCanberra said:

I have wanted to do that KI and Port Lincoln cruise out of Adelaide or Melbourne for a while, still looking for a time that suits.

We had it booked last year on Jewel, but Syd-Syd,

had to cancel, now looking for another similar itinerary at a time that fits.

Got a move over offer for the majestic cruise on Sunday, as did many others, most here on CC have said no, I asked the TA to see what was possible as we are not travelling with anyone we already know like family or friends and we have no flights or accommodation involved. Will see what they end up offering.

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have taken up the offer, it was processed, we are no longer cruising on Sunday but someone (probably in a guarantee cabin that hadn't been allocated as yet) will be happy that we pulled out as they will get ours.

Sad but good for you Mic, hope the offer was to your liking.

Edited by NSWP