Blue Kay

c-leg5

Any recent ( in last couple of months) visitors to Blue Kay who can comment on current pricing policy for day pass? Also are mats readily available for loungers and is the seaweed still bad?

Any news about who has taken over the resort next door, and is it busy? Loud?

Thanks!

Edited by c-leg5

We were at Blue Key yesterday and it was amazing, just like always.  It was $10 pp which included 2 drinks.  Service was excellent.  Our server was Ishmael (I think that was his name).  If you’ve never been there, this is a totally chill, quiet place without the huge crowds and lines of chairs.  We sat in the shade of a palm tree and enjoyed peace and quiet.  We don’t drink alcohol so I can’t comment on that but the non-alcohol drinks were good.  There were pads placed out where people were using them.  

What was really over-the-top was the food.  They will serve you right on the beach but we always prefer to walk across the malecon to the little bar/restaurant and eat there under the covered area.  We have done this many times and have found the ceviche and guacamole to be absolutely fantastic.  It is well presented, plentiful and reasonably priced.  And oh so yummy.  

There is is a little black cat named Lola that I have played with each trip since she was a kitten.  She’s about 5 or 6 now and totally chilled.  She napped in the chair next to me all the while we were there.  I get to see her two or three times a year and it’s one of the highlights of the day for me.

The water is still stained but there really wasn’t that much sargassum there.  I walked further down the beach and just past the second boat pier there was some washed up that no one was cleaning up since there’s no beach club there.   Hopefully the water will return to the clear blue we are used to.  

The place next door was quite crowded but we didn’t really notice it.  It was a quiet and fun day with great food and a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. 

Edited by lifes-a-beach
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

We were at Blue Key yesterday and it was amazing, just like always.  It was $10 pp which included 2 drinks.  Service was excellent.  Our server was Ishmael (I think that was his name).  If you’ve never been there, this is a totally chill, quiet place without the huge crowds and lines of chairs.  We sat in the shade of a palm tree and enjoyed peace and quiet.  We don’t drink alcohol so I can’t comment on that but the non-alcohol drinks were good.  There were pads placed out where people were using them.  

What was really over-the-top was the food.  They will serve you right on the beach but we always prefer to walk across the malecon to the little bar/restaurant and eat there under the covered area.  We have done this many times and have found the ceviche and guacamole to be absolutely fantastic.  It is well presented, plentiful and reasonably priced.  And oh so yummy.  

There is is a little black cat named Lola that I have played with each trip since she was a kitten.  She’s about 5 or 6 now and totally chilled.  She napped in the chair next to me all the while we were there.  I get to see her two or three times a year and it’s one of the highlights of the day for me.

The water is still stained but there really wasn’t that much sargassum there.  I walked further down the beach and just past the second boat pier there was some washed up that no one was cleaning up since there’s no beach club there.   Hopefully the water will return to the clear blue we are used to.  

The place next door was quite crowded but we didn’t really notice it.  It was a quiet and fun day with great food and a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. 

Thanks for the update. We have been before but not for a long time and we haven’t eaten.

$10 sounds like another new random charge - haven’t heard that one before only $5, $7 or $15. I really wish they would get their act together and be consistent. Sounds like the mats are out now and included instead of paying extra?

Looking to take young children as I think they will have more space, but I guess we will decide on the day, prefer to PAYG and just pay for what we consume.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:45 PM, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for the update. We have been before but not for a long time and we haven’t eaten.

$10 sounds like another new random charge - haven’t heard that one before only $5, $7 or $15. I really wish they would get their act together and be consistent. Sounds like the mats are out now and included instead of paying extra?

Looking to take young children as I think they will have more space, but I guess we will decide on the day, prefer to PAYG and just pay for what we consume.

We were there in Dec. 2017 and the price was also 10.00 with two drinks and seat cushions. Will be returning this Dec. 

8 hours ago, muffyn said:

have not heard, what happened to the water?

Sargasso has been extremely bad in many places throughout the Caribbean since February this year, especially Costa Maya. A local recently reported to me that it appears to be improving in recent weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, mackfam said:

Do you need to reserve ahead of time or can you just show up? Also is it easy to find?

It is the first beach bar on the malecon, near to the lighthouse which you can easily see.

You have never needed reservations to my knowledge and I am not sure they are even able to. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2018 at 12:20 AM, c-leg5 said:

Any recent ( in last couple of months) visitors to Blue Kay who can comment on current pricing policy for day pass? Also are mats readily available for loungers and is the seaweed still bad?

Any news about who has taken over the resort next door, and is it busy? Loud?

Thanks!

We were there on Dec. 20th 2018. Taxi ws 4.00 p/p ea way. Admission to Blue Kay was 20.00 for two which included two padded lounge chairs and two drinks each. No Sargassum and the water was clear and warm. The beach area was quite and did not see any constructionn nearby. The only down side was their salsa, it was more like tomato soup with a few lumps of tomato ?? 

Edited by runner15km
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, runner15km said:

We were there on Dec. 20th 2018. Taxi ws 4.00 p/p ea way. Admission to Blue Kay was 20.00 for two which included two padded lounge chairs and two drinks each. No Sargassum and the water was clear and warm. The beach area was quite and did not see any constructionn nearby. The only down side was their salsa, it was more like tomato soup with a few lumps of tomato ?? 

Thanks for the report. Planning on being there in April. Would love to hear any and all other things you or any other visitor can add. 

20 hours ago, runner15km said:

Thanks for the update on pricing.

We were in Costa Maya on 19th and agree no sargassum and water was clear and warm. 

We didn't go to Blue Kay this time but did walk up that way and thought the north end of Malecon seemed much busier on the day we were there than it had been back in January. We had two other ships in port with us.

The beach bar next door seemed very busy and seemed to be the jungle break from the port or cruise ship excursions but i couldn't see any name for the bar? Did you get any noise from that area and would you go to Blue Kay again? 

The entrance fee seems very high for Mexico for what you get. The construction is not on the malecon it is at the pier. I was glad to see the trolley was running on the pier this time - it makes a big difference for people with mobility problems.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, sparks389 said:

Is there any snorkeling off the beach?

Everything I have read says the snorkeling is excellent here and part of the reason people go. Frankly, $10 for 2 drinks and a lounger sounds like a bargain. Especially if you don't care to drink and eat all day at an all inclusive and spend over $50 a day pp. I'm planning to go in March. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nicstress said:

Everything I have read says the snorkeling is excellent here and part of the reason people go. Frankly, $10 for 2 drinks and a lounger sounds like a bargain. Especially if you don't care to drink and eat all day at an all inclusive and spend over $50 a day pp. I'm planning to go in March. 

I will admit i read the previous post too quickly and thought the entrance had gone up to $20pp not for two - the second time I have been caught by that recently as I normally quote pp!  As I posted earlier I have seen reports of $5, $7 and $15 and just assumed it had gone up again.

Therefore the price is not too bad, providing it remains consistent.  I haven’t seen it mentioned whether the drinks are limited to certain types - $10 for two beers, weak margaritas or rum punches are not particularly a bargain - we were paying $15 for 6 beers in Costa Maya last week with no charge for loungers, (which is the norm as long as you are eating and buying something). 

We rarely do AI on a cruise ship day but always purchase food and drink in proportion to the length of time we stay at a resort and use the facilities - tables, chairs, loungers, pool, restrooms.

11 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Therefore the price is not too bad, providing it remains consistent.  I haven’t seen it mentioned whether the drinks are limited to certain types - $10 for two beers, weak margaritas or rum punches are not particularly a bargain - we were paying $15 for 6 beers in Costa Maya last week with no charge for loungers, (which is the norm as long as you are eating and buying something). 

Is there another place you recommend that would also have good snorkeling right from the beach in Costa Maya? Or is Blue Kay the best spot? That is what we want to do the most. We have no problem ordering some snacks and drinks. But just didn't want to pay the AI prices. TIA

10 minutes ago, nicstress said:

Is there another place you recommend that would also have good snorkeling right from the beach in Costa Maya? Or is Blue Kay the best spot? That is what we want to do the most. We have no problem ordering some snacks and drinks. But just didn't want to pay the AI prices. TIA

No personal experience with snorkeling but if you can find review by Mitsugirly she has reviewed snorkeling at a couple of places and has found Blue Kay to be the best of the places she has visited (I think because the reef is perhaps closer to the shore there than other places along the malecon).

The malecon is only just over a mile from one end to the other so easy enough to walk the length of it and try other clubs after spending some time at Blue Kay if you want a change.

Although Blue Kay was the most expensive  we are only talking $1-1.5 per beer difference. My main gripe with Blue Kay is there inconsistent pricing strategy for their passes but it wouldn't stop me from stopping there again and moving on if they try to overcharge. We are considering stopping there next summer with a little one which is why I am interested to find out their current pricing. As i stated the northern area did seem much busier last week than in February. In February we began our walk just south of the malecon at Luna de Plata, a small hotel where they were most definitely organizing small boats out to the reef for snorkeling.

We found the two ends, north and south were the quietest areas back in February but keep in mind it was a showery day. The sand was nicer in the northern area (Blue Kay) and loungers, and tables and chairs spread out amongst the trees. We thought the clubs in the middle if the malecon seemed noisy and crowded with loungers close together.

With that said, we decided to try Tropicante last week following recommendations on here and enjoyed our day despite its more central location. Loungers are definitely crowded in rows but it was not excessively noisy. Food and service were good and we would return. I went swimming but not snorkeling so again cannot comment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nicstress said:

I'll agree that Blue Kay has the better snorkeling along the malecon.  But cruise ship excursions head north of the cruise port up the coast to Uvero Beach.  It's a little more of an iron shore there.  Unfortunately, only open to cruise lines sponsored excursions. 

If snorkeling is a prime attraction, you'll get excellent snorkeling by going off shore.  You'll be at the upper end of the barrier reef that extends from Honduras past Belize.  There are several dive shops in Costa Maya that offer snorkeling.  You may be able to arrange one from the malecon.  Try Dr Dive, next to YaYa Beach.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both. The snorkeling is what we are hoping do and it's even better to not have to pay for an excursion. Blue Kay looks less crowded from the pictures I have seen so that is also a plus for us. Just wanting a low key day without spending $200+ dollars for a family of 4. First thing me in Costa Maya and we are also going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman so we have lots of beach and snorkeling planned on this trip!

1 hour ago, nicstress said:

Thank you both. The snorkeling is what we are hoping do and it's even better to not have to pay for an excursion. Blue Kay looks less crowded from the pictures I have seen so that is also a plus for us. Just wanting a low key day without spending $200+ dollars for a family of 4. First thing me in Costa Maya and we are also going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman so we have lots of beach and snorkeling planned on this trip!

Have a great time.  In Coz, best snorkeling is at Money Bar or northern end of Chankanaab..  In GC, Eden Rock is a short walk from the tender pier, but better beach is 7 Mile Beach  Calypso Jacks, or Sunset Café are 2 good places to head to.. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nicstress said:

Enjoy! agree with Crew about Money Bar for snorkeling but wear something bright (perhaps rash guard) - there can be boat traffic in the area. Perhaps snorkel for a while and then move on to a beach club for some beach time. Again Mitsugirly has a photo intensive review in her signature doing just that one time in Cozumel.

By the way, taxi in Costa Maya is $8 each way to town, for 4 people. They charge by the vehicle now, not per person. There is a dispatcher just outside the port exit. It is a long walk from the ship to the port exit.

• Thanks 1

try Mahahual Dive Centre.  www.mauahauldive.com

They do snorkeling and free dive trips.  I think if that was my top priority I would contact them and arrange a trip for the first part of the day, then chill on the beach for whatever is left.  I also wanted to make a comment about the food at the little beach bar at Blue Key.  Always fantastic. 

Edited by lifes-a-beach
  • Thanks 1

I am copying my response from another thread:

soooo, reporting back on Blue Kay in Costa Maya Dec 16-23: we really liked it. :)

Yes, it's rustic and basic, but we paid $8 for the taxi for the 4 of us, and $10 per adult, which included a chaise and any 2(!) drinks (got a wristband). Some people didn't pay anything at all, they quietly snuck in and got themselves a lounger each, but they didn't need anything else.

We arrived after 9 and got a place in the shade. Loungers had a soft mattress on them. Not broken up or awful looking, so that's a plus. Juan took care of us, but we are not high maintenance.

DS enjoyed a Coke and a Fanta, mom didn't want anything, and DH and I enjoyed a couple of mojitos. The first mojito gave me a tiny buzz and it was delicious. A couple of hours later, at the end of our beach break, my DH and I went to the bar to get a mojito for both of us, and I think they accidentally put all of the alcohol in mine, because hubby didn't taste or feel it, but I became literally (not figuratively) incapacitated in about 5 minutes. LOL. It was pretty bad.

Free Wifi at the Blue Kay bar was very good and strong. Ask your attendant for the passcode.

There were a couple of homeless dogs, which we delighted in meeting.

Some vendors, but not too annoying.

It was very windy, but warm, and the water was nice and clear. I wore water shoes in the water, which was a great idea. Didn't need them on the beach itself, but in the water the rocks were very sharp. We did a bit of snorkeling, but there was nothing by the rocky reef - so don't go there. You'll get hurt. There were a couple of old tires under the water, and they had a lot of fish swimming around them.

I am grateful for the water shoes, but nobody else in my family wore them, so everybody was getting a little hurt by the rocks. I put my kiddo on top of an inflatable ring and pulled him around with his snorkeling mask on. :) He loved it - he didn't need to worry about staying afloat or wearing a cumbersome inflatable vest. 

Forgot to say: there was no FREE wifi worth of anything at the port, but a coffee house at the port was booming with business - free wifi with any purchase. Apparently, the connection was very strong, there was a ton of people enjoying it.

The boys wanted to go on the ship, but mom and I stayed looking for the wifi connection, so we actually got to see the dolphin show for free - at the port.

Photo of the port area.

Costa Maya.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1