Blue Kay

c-leg5

On 12/27/2018 at 1:39 PM, nicstress said:

we are also going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman so we have lots of beach and snorkeling planned on this trip!

On 12/27/2018 at 3:24 PM, crewsweeper said:

In GC, Eden Rock is a short walk from the tender pier, but better beach is 7 Mile Beach  Calypso Jacks, or Sunset Café are 2 good places to head to.. 

I was in Grand Cayman last November.  I did Eden Rock, which was OK, but then headed by bus to Cemetery Beach. There are no facilities, but it was a beautiful beach, not many people, and I enjoyed the snorkeling.  I travel solo and was nervous about going there by myself, but a woman from the Eden Rock dive shop said it was safe and I'd be fine.  

On 12/26/2018 at 8:19 PM, nicstress said:

I'm planning to go in March

If you go to Blue Kay and snorkel, I'd appreciate a report!  I'll be in Costa Maya in November and would love to find snorkeling from the beach.  I guess based on the post below, I wouldn't have high expectations, and may book an excursion, but sometimes conditions change, so would still love to hear.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We did a bit of snorkeling, but there was nothing by the rocky reef - so don't go there. You'll get hurt. There were a couple of old tires under the water, and they had a lot of fish swimming around them.

3 hours ago, RW_MI said:

If you go to Blue Kay and snorkel, I'd appreciate a report!  I'll be in Costa Maya in November and would love to find snorkeling from the beach.  I guess based on the post below, I wouldn't have high expectations, and may book an excursion, but sometimes conditions change, so would still love to hear.

Have you read the review from Mitsugirly about snorkeling at Blue Kay?

On 1/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Walk out the port gate.There are cabs waiting there. Tell the driver to take you there.

Yes BUT .... It is a pretty long walk for some . Between walking down a very long pier , wandering though a port shopping area designed to delay your exit and finally walking through a loooong parking lot before you get to the port gates , the walk will take 20 to 40 minutes  for those who don't move very fast. Seriously . We didn't suffer but that's a walk way too long for some especially in the sun and heat . The taxis are just outside the gates to the left . We were 5 and they wanted $15 for a minivan . We offered $12 and tipped another 3 when we arrived .

On 3/16/2019 at 10:44 AM, RW_MI said:

We did go last week. We had decent snorkeling. To the right and out towards the dock at the next beach club there was a good spot but the wind and current was very strong. My son and I had to be rescued by the lifeguard on the dock. 😲 To the left of the beach area once you go over all of the sea grass you will find small coral heads here and there with pretty fish. We saw sea urchin as well. The sea grass also attracts pretty fish. You will find big schools of fish everywhere. A lounger with a pad and 2 drinks was $12 for adults. Kids got a lounger for free. We ordered some food too and it was good. I liked the nachos, guacamole and the kids liked the quesadilla. Don't order a burger😉 

IMG_20190312_110732.jpg

IMG_20190312_115703.jpg

IMG_20190312_115305.jpg

IMG_20190312_143033.jpg

IMG_20190312_123405.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nicstress said:

We did go last week. We had decent snorkeling. To the right and out towards the dock at the next beach club there was a good spot but the wind and current was very strong. My son and I had to be rescued by the lifeguard on the dock. 😲 To the left of the beach area once you go over all of the sea grass you will find small coral heads here and there with pretty fish. We saw sea urchin as well. The sea grass also attracts pretty fish. You will find big schools of fish everywhere. A lounger with a pad and 2 drinks was $12 for adults. Kids got a lounger for free. We ordered some food too and it was good. I liked the nachos, guacamole and the kids liked the quesadilla. Don't order a burger😉 

Thanks for review and update on pricing!

was the current towards the cruise port or away from?

Looks like you had a nice seaweed free visit unlike our visit in February!

23 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for review and update on pricing!

was the current towards the cruise port or away from?

Looks like you had a nice seaweed free visit unlike our visit in February!

It was going away from.the port. And no seaweed. It was very clear. It was a great day for under $100 for a family of 4. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicstress said:

We had decent snorkeling. To the right and out towards the dock at the next beach club there was a good spot but the wind and current was very strong. My son and I had to be rescued by the lifeguard on the dock. 😲 To the left of the beach area once you go over all of the sea grass you will find small coral heads here and there with pretty fish. We saw sea urchin as well. The sea grass also attracts pretty fish. You will find big schools of fish everywhere.

Thanks for the report and pictures - very helpful!  Your rescue incident sounds scary.