Email Notification Problem - what do I have to do to get their attention?

I'm starting a new thread because so far I've emailed help 3 times, posted this problem on several threads and have yet to have even acknowledgement that the help people are even aware of it.  I will continue to post new threads and resend the email until they at least confirm they are aware of this major problem and it's on their list to fix.

So, for a few days after the switchover my email notifications were OK.  I was getting an email every time there's a post so I checked the box to only receive email after I visit the thread.  At that point, I'd get one email after I joined a thread, but that was it.  So, I unchecked the box.  

Now I get email every time someone posts, so overnight I'll wake up to about 40+ email notifications from my active threads.  It's not the end of the world, but it's a pain and so unnecessary.  The revisit notifications worked just fine before the change over.  

I've checked and unchecked the box, but no change - if it's checked, no notifications - if it's not notifications arrive for every single post, even if I haven't had a chance to visit.  

Again, I'm starting this because I've had zero response from help that they are even aware of this problem.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one having this problem.

Thanks

Edited by abbydancer
typos

7 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I was getting an email every time there's a post so I checked the box to only receive email after I visit the thread.  At that point, I'd get one email after I joined a thread, but that was it.

Re-reading your problem, the first thing I wanted to check was whether you are logging in to CC every time you come to visit. Unless you log in, you won't reset the flag that will send you an email on the first new post to a thread after you visit it.

Second, do you want to compare your notification settings to mine and see if there is anything different? In the second image, I think the only ones you can change are the ones for reputation, which I have switched off. With these settings, I get email behaviour that is exactly what you want: an email on the first new post to a thread after I have visited it.

riu4ok.jpg

2n9gl8k.jpg

1 minute ago, Globaliser said:

Re-reading your problem, the first thing I wanted to check was whether you are logging in to CC every time you come to visit. Unless you log in, you won't reset the flag that will send you an email on the first new post to a thread after you visit it.

Second, do you want to compare your notification settings to mine and see if there is anything different? In the second image, I think the only ones you can change are the ones for reputation, which I have switched off. With these settings, I get email behaviour that is exactly what you want: an email on the first new post to a thread after I have visited it.

riu4ok.jpg

2n9gl8k.jpg

Thanks.   Yeah, my first thought was about being logged in, and I am.  I did tweak a couple of things to match yours - and for others - I turned off the other two notification check boxes and the New Content notification was off.  I'll let you know if it works.

Oh, one other thing I've noticed.  When I go to cruisecritic.com I'm not logged in, but when I go to the boards, I am.  When I click through via an email notification, I do show this:

(sorry if this looks terrible -it's the first time I've tried adding an image).  So I think I'm Ok on that.

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 3.54.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 3.52.42 PM.png

Edited by abbydancer

9 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Oh, one other thing I've noticed.  When I go to cruisecritic.com I'm not logged in, but when I go to the boards, I am.

I suspect that the login cookie is specific to boards.cruisecritic.com, and therefore doesn't work on cruisecritic.com or www.cruisecritic.com

I've never really looked at this, as there doesn't seem to be much reason to be logged in on the main site.

You might want to see what email behaviour you see over the next 24 hours or so before drawing any conclusions.

15 hours ago, Globaliser said:

abbeydancer    -  I maybe wrong but  Globaliser was maybe  asking if you logged in AGAIN when you visit.   If you dont log out and then log in then the flag regarding your  notifications may not reset.

Another "fix"  might be to log out of CC completely then in your browser clear your cookies and cache  then log in again.  Check your notificationa are as you want them then see if it works.

EDIT   Another thought - You did click on "Save"  after making your changes?

14 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Thanks.   Yeah, my first thought was about being logged in, and I am. 

Edited by Aulanis

I was going to post yesterday Am that Friday night I thought to try clearing my cookies, but obviously that didn't happen.  While I was busy figuring out what was wrong with MY computer that I couldn't post (figured that it wasn't me reasonably fast) I did clear them for Cc so we'll see what happens today.  Stay tuned.

Are you aiming for  one email when  posts are made on a thread until you re-visit that thread?

Maybe set it up how you think it should be - remember to Save then come out of settings then go back in  and post a screenprint we can comment on.

Then log out of CC  then log back in.

Edited by Aulanis

5 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Are you aiming for  one email when  posts are made on a thread until you re-visit that thread?

Maybe set it up how you think it should be - remember to Save then come out of settings then go back in  and post a screenprint we can comment on.

Then log out of CC  then log back in.

I'll give it a shot, so here goes:

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 2.15.53 PM.png

Can't figure out how to edit below an image, but yes, I am aiming for that behavior - same as I had under the old system.  

To get these, I rechecked the box, reloaded the boards, and went back to notification settings.  I have just logged out and back in, and it still looks like that.

Thanks!

Well that looks good to me!    See what others think.  Report back

IIRC  there is a sticky at the top of the "help" forum about notifications.

Maybe read it - again?  and see if there is anything we might have missed. 

We have put out a fix for what was happening to you and other members who also select not to receive notifications until they revisit the forum.  After you log in today it should reset and emails sent the way they were intended

Let us know if not

I'm not getting emails either. I was getting pop-up notifications but they have stopped too. I emailed the address given but haven't had a reply. I have just cleared my cache and reset the notification settings (remembering to 'save'). The only other thing I can think of is that the site doesn't have my up-to-date email address but i cannot find it in my settings to check. Does anyone have any ideas please?

5 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

We have put out a fix for what was happening to you and other members who also select not to receive notifications until they revisit the forum.  After you log in today it should reset and emails sent the way they were intended

Let us know if not

So far, it appears to be working.  I have checked the one notification, and I'm getting notifications.  I may have got two on one thread, but that often happened before the switch, so I'm guessing it has to do with maybe still having the thread open when the notification came in.  I'm going out for a movie in a couple of hours, so we'll see what happens when I'm gone.

I'll update after I get back (Bohemian Rhapsody on a giant screen).

5 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I think I had a problem overnight last night - I only got about half the number of emails I should have done - but it seems to be OK now today. Thanks for applying that.

28 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

Thank you, that explains the problem (out of date email address)!

It does rather look like a lot of old (ie out-of-date) email addresses were wrongly imported into the new database. You're not the only person to have identified this as an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

Thank you, that explains the problem (out of date email address)! :classic_blush:

If you come back:

Next up problem is that you cant change it yourself-  you need to email

help@cruisecritic.com   tell them you old email - and your new email

and sign off with your name    and  your Member Name.

• Thanks 1