Passport question

jpodds

I think that I read somewhere that you cannot present a passport and board if the passport expiration date is less than 6 months from your embarkation date. Is this true? My passport expires 6 months and a couple of days after I sail. I have time...150 days... so if I have to renew my passport, I can do it with plenty of time. But if I don't need to, it's just one less thing to do. Thanks in advance for the responses. 

8 minutes ago, CEOofVacation said:

It is 6 months after you last day of travel/disembark.

It depends on where you are travelling to.   Call Celebrity and ask.   for most Caribbean ports you do not need 6 months.  for most european ports you do.

Steve

Where are you sailing to and from?

If the Caribbean, you should be fine. If you’re talking a European or Asian cruise, I’d be more concerned. The passport validity question is very dependent on where you’re sailing. 

Is your old one chipped?  If not go ahead and get the new one now.  In many places chipped passports can save you time.  The whole application for a renewal is not very time consuming. The biggest need for time is getting new pictures taken but Costco and most of the other warehouse stores and many of the bigger chain drug stores that have photo centers can do it in a few minutes.

My opinion - you have 150 days and you are worried about adding one more task?  I say do the task.  You may not need to get it done, but do you really want to take the risk?  I would not necessarily count on Celebrity's administrative prowess to know all the passport rules (they are an excellent cruise line, but administratively they tend to drop the ball at times).  Presuming you plan to continue to update it anyway, why not just go ahead and do it.  You never know if some other trip may present itself in the meantime and then you will be scrambling around trying to get it done.  

• Like 1

Bite the bullet and renew now. One less thing to worry about and you never know what happens. Since you're already asking the question, do it. It's good for 10 years, so that's about $10 a year and if you waste 1/2 a year that's $5. Is that worth the worry?

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I say, if you are not concerned, do nothing and come back to let us know how you make out...

bon voyage, if you can board without incident or denial...

Too funny. We sailed last year and I had a week or so beyond the six month time at the time of sailing. Never a word was said by anyone. Out of and return to Dublin. Nice folks, and I rarely argue about pretty much anything. Sometimes. Or not.