Royal Caribbean discriminates Jewel passengers

Proplayer

48 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Some people don't have a clue what discrimination is.

OMG this is the best response. Discrimination is NOT the correct word to describe this. Discrimination is covers a few protected classes and your choice of cruise ship is not one of them. 

46 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Well not compared to Regina .😁

Thankyou for posting this . Very helpful for the discussion . 

Regina has some interesting things.  The lake near the Parliament buildings, the gas street lights, the ornate cement on the bridg and the Museum around the corner.  Oh and there’s a Keg Restaurant. 

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Some people don't have a clue what discrimination is.

Agree, at least ones that haven't really experienced it... Now about thread Topic. Weather is never a reason to give Compensation, usually. Royal in this situation and other's have never been consistent, or Carnival, or NCL, or... I've had couple dozen changes over the years, some all ports, others one or two. Some   due to Storms/Hurricanes, Mechanical, Medical Emergencies which had 3 on one 11nite cruise last Dec. Compensation, was free open bar for 3hrs one nite, $50 OBC another. Only time got anything else was when my 14nite cruise was canceled, received $450 OBC and price protection for my Suite long as picked the one only other cruise offered.

Edited by ONECRUISER

Yes as always the Loyal Royal's response is don't give nobody nothing otherwise they'll expect to be treated properly . Oh and read your contract - you don't merit anything ! 😒

Edited by richstowe

3 hours ago, hova said:

Actually Navigator passengers did find out their itinerary changed before they sailed.   In fact, the TA doesn’t even start until tomorrow (Nov 5).   I also see no difference between those two sailings.

3 hours ago, Katie H said:

The two TAs which both start tomorrow are the same exact situation.  It is the current cruise on Navigator which is different and, in my opinion, deserving of compensation.  I don't know what they are receiving.  I don't think the TAs really deserve anything for itinerary change but those of us on Jewel are wondering why Navigator is getting it and we are not in the same exact situation.  Just seems odd.

If you see no difference between having booked a cruise to visit Boston & NYC & instead having a changed itinerary to visit 2 industrial wasteland ports just over the English Channel- then I wish I had your rose tinted specs on. I will exchange Navigator for Jewel if you like! You can even have my paltry OBC of 100$ 😡

I fully understand adverse weather conditions can alter ports visited, but after all the mechanical issues with the stabiliser Navigator had last week I am left feeling that RCC are not being totally honest & open about the need to stay in the English Channel from 5th Nov until Thursday 8th (including staying in Le Havre overnight) 

Hopefully someone from RCC reads these posts & will realise that customers need open & honest dialogue in events such as these. If there is still a problem with the stabiliser that could compound the rough sea conditions then for goodness sake be honest about it please. Safety is paramount, but so is honesty!!!

• Thanks 1

This is another good reason to get a quality travel insurance policy. This one reimburses you $ 1,250 for an itinerary change:

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans/cruise

No hassle trying to get compensation from the cruise line. In many cases, this would pay for all, or most, of your cruise.

Edited by JT1962

4 hours ago, hova said:

Boston and New York cultural and enriching?   Not in my books.  I would take the Valencia and Lisbon stops any day.   I guess it depends what side of the pond you live on and what you want to see!

Irrespective of which side of The Pond you live there is surely no comparision whatsoever between the ports we are missing( Boston & NYC) & the ports we are now visiting( industrial areas of Zeebrugge in Belgium & le Havre in N France) 

If Valencia or Lisbon had been offered to us I would not feel so aggrieved but sadly they are nowhere near our departure port of Southampton, so have never been part of the discussion for Navigators changed t/a itinerary.

RCCLs paltry offer of 100$ obc ( or less depending on cabin grade) is actually somewhat insulting.

I would like their written reassurance they are being totally open & honest with us & that the failed stabiliser issue from last weeks sailing is not affecting our itinerary, coupled with the storms.

Safety is paramount, but honesty & integrity are also a requirement from RCCL to their customers.

4 minutes ago, Proplayer said:

No, the cruise before had issues. The 11-5 TA sailing is because of weather.

That's the official line from RCI, but given that the ship will have repairs in LeHavre (and staying overnight) and that they are giving OBC (no OBC usually for weather diversion), it's not so obvious that the main reason was weather.

6 minutes ago, Proplayer said:

No, the cruise before had issues. The 11-5 TA sailing is because of weather.

The broken stabiliser issue from the previous week has not been fixed to be fully operational, therefore it can only compound the issues of bad weather in the Atlantic. Hence we are skulking in the English Channel/ around the industrial port of Le Havre until Thursday. Certainly NOT what we had booked for.

Safety is paramount but I feel RCCL are hiding mechanical issues behind using the weather issues as an excuse.

28 minutes ago, firstcarib said:

Irrespective of which side of The Pond you live there is surely no comparision whatsoever between the ports we are missing( Boston & NYC) & the ports we are now visiting( industrial areas of Zeebrugge in Belgium & le Havre in N France) 

If Valencia or Lisbon had been offered to us I would not feel so aggrieved but sadly they are nowhere near our departure port of Southampton, so have never been part of the discussion for Navigators changed t/a itinerary.

RCCLs paltry offer of 100$ obc ( or less depending on cabin grade) is actually somewhat insulting.

I would like their written reassurance they are being totally open & honest with us & that the failed stabiliser issue from last weeks sailing is not affecting our itinerary, coupled with the storms.

Safety is paramount, but honesty & integrity are also a requirement from RCCL to their customers.

In addition to the OBC, aren't you also getting a 25% FCC?  The downside is that 25% is off of your current price, not the next cruise you book, and the current cruise is probably fairly low price. 😉

Just now, John&LaLa said:

In addition to the OBC, aren't you also getting a 25% FCC?  The downside is that 25% is off of your current price, not the next cruise you book, and the current cruise is probably fairly low price. 😉

Why would we want to book again with RCC.? There are so many other cruise companies out there to choose from. We only booked this cruise because of the itinerary, not the company. The offer of 25% FCC does not really interest us.

It expires quite quickly & we have 3 other cruises( not with RCC!!) booked already for the next 12 months.

30 minutes ago, firstcarib said:

Why would we want to book again with RCC.? There are so many other cruise companies out there to choose from. We only booked this cruise because of the itinerary, not the company. The offer of 25% FCC does not really interest us.

It expires quite quickly & we have 3 other cruises( not with RCC!!) booked already for the next 12 months.

I’m on the last night of the 10/26 sailing. The one with the Overnight in Vigo and 2 ports missed!

Our 25% FCC has to be used in 2 years. I would be surprised if yours was different. FYI new itineraries for 2020/21 start going on sale in a few weeks time.  Not spending “free” money is madness to me?

Edited by little britain

It seems  - when only reading the RCI messages sent to passengers - that indeed those two cases are very similar, only difference is that ports missed are either in Europe or US. We chose Jewel just because of Azores which is not a frequent port of call and obviously are not too happy but this is vacation and after all we want to enjoy....

Seems to me RCI wanted to save some $$$ by putting blame on weather for Navigator when in reality it is a mechanical issue underlying which will make TA impossible if not fixed before. By doing so they have made (some) Jewel passengers unhappy and I am looking forward some protesting people on board....

not good !

What about the people who booked non refundable tours or rental cars in Lisbon, Valencia, and Azores?  They have to just absorb the fee.  Not fair!  I personally was excited about visiting all 3 of these ports.  Replacing it with 2 stops in the Canary Islands and St Maarten ???  I’ll definitely make the best of it and still have a great time but sincerely hope we’re given some type of restitution.

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

What about the people who booked non refundable tours or rental cars in Lisbon, Valencia, and Azores?  They have to just absorb the fee.  Not fair!  I personally was excited about visiting all 3 of these ports.  Replacing it with 2 stops in the Canary Islands and St Maarten ???  I’ll definitely make the best of it and still have a great time but sincerely hope we’re given some type of restitution.

You should know that ports can change at any time and that is a risk that you take by booking shore excursions that are not through the cruise line.  I have found that most reputable independent operators will offer full refunds if the ship does not make port.  For those that don’t, that is what insurance is for. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Unfortunately this falls into the same category as missing the ship if your independent excursion arrives back too late - the cruise line will only guarantee a refund or waiting for the guests if the excursion was booked directly through them. Yes, it is a bit of a money-making exercise on the cruise line's part, but it also offers some protection in case ports are cancelled, as has happened here. Pay for something independently = run the risk of losing your money when things go pear-shaped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sellwingri said:

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You should know that ports can change at any time and that is a risk that you take by booking shore excursions that are not through the cruise line.  I have found that most reputable independent operators will offer full refunds if the ship does not make port.  For those that don’t, that is what insurance is for. 

This was exactly what I was about to compose. 

If you book independently you take that risk. Although, I always ask cancellation policies and have never had a company hold me to a reservation if the ship didn’t make the port stop. 

I also think the compensation has more to do with the inconvenience for the NV repair rather than weather.  I am guessing it will be a fairly rough ride from Southampton to LeHavre for the repair. I think the itinerary change has a multiple cause....mechanical and weather.  I believe the NV itinerary would have had to change even if it weren’t affected by the weather also. The JW itinerary would not have had to change if it weren’t for weather. 

I think the pax on both ships should be thankful for the itinerary change. We are currently on SY (much bigger ship than either of those) and have had some tough days on our sailing.  We are taking the more southern (“rumrunner”) route rather than the more northern (“circle”) route.  We are hundreds of miles south of the storm yet have had very rough seas on Several days. Pools were closed for several days due to rough seas. Flowrider was closed one day due to rough weather. (Had to even drain the tanks.) Shows cancelled for the safety of the performers.  Our first four days were mainly chilly, rainy, rough seas, etc.  Since we had limited ports anyway, that hasn’t affected us....but think those on the smaller ships should be thankful for the itinerary changes if it keeps them out of the rougher waters. Normally on an OA size ship we laugh that by day 3 we can’t even tell we have left port due to no movement.  Our first 4 days on this magnificent lady was definitely different. You needed the drink package in order to walk straight. 😬

On 11/4/2018 at 9:22 AM, Biker19 said:

and the reason RCI tries not to make exception to the rules, because then everyone expects it.

If they give compensation to one set of passengers for x issue why shouldn't other passengers with x issue on a different sailing expect the same treatment?