Lobster revamp

joeyancho

We just returned from the Ruby 7 night Mexican Riviera.  The Ruby now has the new menus.  IMHO the food was very good to excellent.  A lot of new things on the menu. A lot of old favorites are gone. A very noticeable change was the lobster served on the second formal night.  It was a single lobster tail served on a bed of green risotto, topped with a creamy sauce.  It is a complete revamp of its former, traditional, presentation.  No more shrimp. No more broccoli. No more mashed potatoes. No more clarified butter.  Nothing is sacred anymore.

We had the revamped lobster dinner on the Regal.  The lobster was very small and the green risotto tasted like wall paper paste. Worst meal we have had in a while.  Our waiter, who was excellent, brought me the beef wellington.  It is always very good.

• Like 1

We had a single extra small lobster tail being served only on the last of three formal nights on the transatlantic cruise on the Royal in September.  Everybody was complaining.  

I don't mind the changes in menu if it is good food.   What I don't understand is why in this day and age would they serve so few vegetables.  I though eating more vegetables is in.  

• Like 2

Princess....  NOTE TO SELF:

Green mush/past and some 'sauce' do not really do anything to hide the fact that what is missing is some halfway decent LOBSTER.

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!

Give me some halfway decent lobster with some drawn butter, and I would be in heaven.

And, I've noticed the same thing with many restaurant menus here at home.

They are actually getting away with serving small portions of low quality (barely edible) food by trying to hide it with their latest new and wonderful sauces/offerings.

It really is sad.

At some point the cutbacks are just too draconian and inedible - and I would rather see a price increase.

Princess......  HELLLOOOO!!!!!

IMHO, it would seem to me that overall NCL is not good -  But, at least by reports...  Even NCL is serving better food.

There are simply no excuses here....

Edited by Wishing on a star

21 minutes ago, wdrl said:

I don't mind the changes in menu if it is good food.   What I don't understand is why in this day and age would they serve so few vegetables.  I though eating more vegetables is in.  

The first night out, we ask our waiter to bring us an extra plate of steamed vegetables - whatever they're cooking - every night. We share that. Waiter will do that if you ask.

Change may be good, but this change is not IMHO.  We had this same change on the Grand a couple weeks ago, my primary reason for bringing a suit (adding an extra 4-5 pounds to my luggage) was for the lobster formal night, I don't get lobster at home so would often have 2 or even 3 of the lobster/shrimp but I couldn't stand this risotto that it now comes with so I guess I don't need to worry about bringing it anymore.  If I really want lobster I guess I'll do the Crown Grill.

For the record as well the Grand did not have new menus, at least there were no significant differences between it and the menus I had on the Coral a year ago, and there were no significant differences between that and the menu that I had on the Grand in 2016.  I might be able to understand the change to the lobster dinner if the rest of the menu had changed as well but it hasn't changed in at least the last 3 years.  

3 hours ago, joeyancho said:

We just returned from the Ruby 7 night Mexican Riviera.  The Ruby now has the new menus.  IMHO the food was very good to excellent.  A lot of new things on the menu. A lot of old favorites are gone. A very noticeable change was the lobster served on the second formal night.  It was a single lobster tail served on a bed of green risotto, topped with a creamy sauce.  It is a complete revamp of its former, traditional, presentation.  No more shrimp. No more broccoli. No more mashed potatoes. No more clarified butter.  Nothing is sacred anymore.

I was on the Regal last month and reported this and a CC member on here told me there was no green risotto. I am pleased you have mentioned it as I hate being accused of mis-stating anything.

I thought it was horrible.

Just give me straight lobster, with  butter, garlic, that's about it.  And decent lobster with good flavor and not tough.

And bigger than a shrimp. I guess that won't be happening on Princess.

We are back on Wind Surf next week.  The decent lobster is what you get on there as in the photo from February 2018. Cooked in small batches, garlicy, and plenty of butter.  Delicious.  And if you book  your cruise right  no more cost than Princess. Apples to Oranges in most ways though.

20180228_184701.jpg

1 hour ago, Griller said:

I was on the Regal last month and reported this and a CC member on here told me there was no green risotto. I am pleased you have mentioned it as I hate being accused of mis-stating anything.

I thought it was horrible.

Just give me straight lobster, with  butter, garlic, that's about it.  And decent lobster with good flavor and not tough.

And bigger than a shrimp. I guess that won't be happening on Princess.

We are back on Wind Surf next week.  The decent lobster is what you get on there as in the photo from February 2018. Cooked in small batches, garlicy, and plenty of butter.  Delicious.  And if you book  your cruise right  no more cost than Princess. Apples to Oranges in most ways though.

20180228_184701.jpg

Oh, looks yummy.  No, you wont find that on Princess.

2 minutes ago, karabear15 said:

Exactly, just ask them to leave the nasty stuff off your plate. 

Pro Tip:  Order the lobster by itself as your appetizer ... then get the Beef Wellington as your main, with an extra lobster on the side, baked potato, extra butter

• Like 3

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

Pro Tip:  Order the lobster by itself as your appetizer ... then get the Beef Wellington as your main, with an extra lobster on the side, baked potato, extra butter

If only I could eat red meat...I guess I’ll order two lobsters and all of that yummy extra stuff!!

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

Why not just order it without the 'green slime' ... drawn butter on the side, and a baked potato - extra butter of course :classic_biggrin:

Well now that it's been brought to our attention we can benefit. Unfortunately there were passengers caught by surprise with the change. OP thanks for the heads up.  

Our waiter brought extra lobster tails to our table on the Royal's trans-Atlantic. I also frequently ordered an extra serving of a green vegetable. I loved it when spinach was on the menu. Broccoli was always available.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, metairiegal said:

We had the "new" lobster last July on the Caribbean Princess.  It was horrible.  The sauce ruined it.  Never again for me. 

I wonder if you can ask for it plain with butter on the side?

We are sailing Regal in 3 weeks and I will be discussing my dietary needs with the head waiter upon boarding (after reserving the Sanctuary of course). I am Keto and can't have any of their sauces, so I will request my lobster plain with drawn butter ahead of time! I'll report back with my experience.

Princess has reduced the quality of beef & lobster in the MDR and it was reported in the Spring that the Ruby added Crown Grill options for about $20 for each CG entrée.

It’s an effort to get passengers to pay for better food in the MDR but for several years my CG experiences have been that the entrées are inconsistent so I would never pay for them in the MDR.