What Gratuity to Leave at Specialty Restaurant?

San Diego Ellie

You're going to get a lot of different answers to this question. Just do what feels right to you ... somewhere between "something and nothing."  Some argue that they're already paying extra for the experience and don't leave anything.  Others feel like their servers provided and exceptional evening and tip extra.  We usually leave around $10.

• Like 2

I think we Americans feel the constant need to tip! The daily passenger charge was supposed to cover everything, but funny how we (me too) try to save face (if you will) by leaving something on the table, fearing we will be tackled before getting to the door, if we don't.

Edited by MTJSR
  • Like 2

20% as a token/momento.  As an American I found it to be an uneasy feeling while traveling abroad and told no tipping, "keep your extra money, I don't want this, what do you think I am a charity case, ya wanker get out my cab !" Thats alright, I'll go to this pub/bar on the corner and pay 18 dollars for a call drink and not tip. 

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

There is that cover charge which  includes waiters gratuity:classic_smile:

Waitstaff do not share in the cover charge.

This has been confirmed many times with restaurant personnel and a number of Food & Beverage Managers. 

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

This has been confirmed many times with restaurant personnel and a number of Food & Beverage Managers. 

And we have been told the opposite, many times by the same people.  Who knows.  

• Like 3

Whenever "tipping" comes up it's embarrassing to be from the US. Tipping is totally out of hand here. This is from someone who, in my youth, worked in restaurants. As for bars... I know someone who used to work as a bar waitress and my daughter knows several who work as bar waitresses. They make crazy money from tips. Yes, I understand that the basic wage for waitresses is low but the tips often bring their pay up well beyond what the "average" person makes where I live. As I do live in the US I do tip when I go out but not extravagantly.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, San Diego Ellie said:

We do not usually eat at specialty restaurants when we are cruising, but our booking includes one.  What gratuity is it customary to leave ?  Thanks for any  replies.

None is required.  Many people do leave tips, though.  

• Like 1

I find the comment regarding Australians to be relevant. There are many Australian cruisers on Princess ships and they are often pretty much boggled by the tipping culture in the US. (I can't blame them.) I would imagine that the Aussie passengers do not tip in the specialty dining venues - nor would I expect them to. To them it would likely seem like a form of extortion. (I've met some pretty cool Aussies on cruises. :classic_biggrin:)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Are you the OP? How are wages in Australia relevant to the OP’s situation. Seems you are hijacking the thread. The OP’s not Australian.

21 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We do not understand your question .Please clarify it .

OP = Original Poster or, in other words, the one who started the thread.

8 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I'm not sure asking this question to the very people who would get the extra tip would result in an honest answer.  It's a direct conflict of interest.