New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

5 minutes ago, Dixie1337 said:

I'm curious if you can go through the suite line when going through security for the symphony in Miami.  Someone needs to try 🙂

Implementation probably does vary some - heck, in Miami it could be different between Terminals A and G.

7 hours ago, JRondo said:

I want to start off that we started our adventure at Cortes Chocobar in San Juan - a restaurant that highlights chocolate in every meal. I had the Chalupitas de Mofongo.  Taco like shell made from plaintains.  It was amazing.  Also had the best chocolate shakes ever!  Anyway, to the cruise.  We arrived around 12:30.  There were not really long lines, maybe 20 deep, but we did get in the Key line, there was no one in the line, and were checked in right away.  I saw a small seating area for Key members, I assume if we had gotten there early we would have waited there.  We took our luggage to the theater and they tagged it.  It was delivered to our room before we finished lunch.  We went to Chops.  There were people there but it was not crowded.  We had the filet and it was amazing.  Also, had shrimp cocktail (they were huge) and cheesecake and molten chocolate cakes.  It was a nice start.   I went to several shows - Marquee, the Ice Show and One Upon a Time.  None were full, but I was able to walk in without reservations and sit in the suite/key seating area and had great seats.  They do not take reservations for the shows on Freedom, at least that I knew about.  We did not use the reserved times for flowrider, ice skating or rock climbing, so I can't comment.  Though each day there were reserved times.  Only two throughout the week for ice skating.  We did get a fruit plate, but I don't know if that was because we were in the Ben and Jerry's Sweet or because of the Key.   Our itinerary did not have tender ports, so there was no advantage at ports.  We got special luggage tags for the key the last night of the cruise and put our luggage out in the evening.  The next morning we decided to stay on board as long as possible since we had to be at the airport around 11:30.  We went to the dining room on deck 5 and had breakfast.  There was a menu for the Key.  Most items similar to regular MDR breakfasts, with the addition of steak and eggs and a crab eggs benedict.  I got the eggs and steak.  The steak was a mini filet and as good as the first day in Chops.  They did run out of the donuts my kids loved and smoothies.  We hung out until a little before 10.  We went to the lobby of the restaurant and waited about 15 minutes.  A representative came and took us to our luggage.  We passed hundreds of people, probably a 60-90 minute line.  Some were not too happy.  We got to our luggage which was in a separate area and went to the Key line for customs, again there was none.  We were in line first and it took literally one minute.  Now when you get outside all bets are off.  There was a huge line for taxis.  A driver of a small bus approached us and said he was leaving for the airport in 5 minutes, so we opted for that instead of waiting in the line for a taxi.  I would do it again for debarkation alone, but we like to be spoiled on vacation.  If we went on a longer cruise, then I may start to question.   Have fun!

Thank you so much for your thorough review.  I was hoping for priority debarkation at the ports since it is pretty vague in the description of benefits online, but your positive experience helped solidify my decision to purchase it.  Hopefully RCL will update the port benefits by stating tender ports only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steeple01 said:

Thank you so much for your thorough review.  I was hoping for priority debarkation at the ports since it is pretty vague in the description of benefits online, but your positive experience helped solidify my decision to purchase it.  Hopefully RCL will update the port benefits by stating tender ports only.

You are welcome.  When I called RCL, they said over the phone it was for tender ports only.  For some reason it is not in print.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, marci22 said:

It's currently $24.99 pp on my cruise planner.

Yes.. I’ve seen it go up as well. Perhaps as they get closer to departure or to a certain place with sales? 

Glad I grabbed it at the lower price. 

A little out of the box but seems like many seasoned cruisers and if someone can help/clarify..would greatly appreciate it. 

I was just told by rccl that I Could purchase hard liquor onboard at the store/on Allure ... and consume it aboard within our stateroom.  

I was told they would limit the purchase and “ control” the amount but that it definitely Could be purchased and Could be consumed. ( versus a port purchase which they’d hold) 

Can Anyone confirm this from direct experience?  

11 minutes ago, cre8tiv said:

A little out of the box but seems like many seasoned cruisers and if someone can help/clarify..would greatly appreciate it. 

I was just told by rccl that I Could purchase hard liquor onboard at the store/on Allure ... and consume it aboard within our stateroom.  

I was told they would limit the purchase and “ control” the amount but that it definitely Could be purchased and Could be consumed. ( versus a port purchase which they’d hold) 

Can Anyone confirm this from direct experience?  

There are some liquor/mixer packages available on some ships that can be purchased pre-cruise.

However, there have been no recent reports indicating that guests can buy a bottle of spirits while on the ship and consume it during the same cruise.

• Thanks 1

The number of ships that you can pre purchase booze is amazingly small.  Could on the Symphony couldn’t on the Radiance or Ovation.

when you go to buy say a bottle of gin or vodka and some mixers at about $50 bucks for a 375 liter bottle and a few cans of mix, the ships you can do it on it is tiny.

jhc

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dixie1337 said:

I'm curious if you can go through the suite line when going through security for the symphony in Miami.  Someone needs to try 🙂

Ok, I'll give it a try and report back.  Is the suite line clearly marked when you arrive at the port?  I have never been to Miami.  

• Like 1

The Key is clearly something that you are either interested in trying or you personally can’t justify the expense. People can make their own decisions based on their own needs and their own finances - no need to hear opinions from guessers. What’s great to see are the reviews from folks who have purchased it and their experiences having used it. Keep ‘em coming! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

The number of ships that you can pre purchase booze is amazingly small.  Could on the Symphony couldn’t on the Radiance or Ovation.

when you go to buy say a bottle of gin or vodka and some mixers at about $50 bucks for a 375 liter bottle and a few cans of mix, the ships you can do it on it is tiny.

jhc

This is not entirely true as it depends on the package you try to purchase.  The Absolute vodka and Sprite package seems to have no limitations and if you do a mock purchase, say for March 17th, numerous ships show up as an option in the drop down list that are listed as being excluded for the other packages.

The other packages do have a note at the bottom of their respective order screen listing the ships it isn't available on.

Guess maybe vodka is universally accepted, but rum, gin and scotch isn't?  LOL!!

Dan.

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, Wine-O said:

I purchased the Key for an upcoming 7-night Med cruise that is port intensive and has 2 tender ports.  I don't want to wait 2+ hours to get off the ship or queue for a tender ticket.  It's a B2B, so won't be using the disembarkation benefits except for the Key breakfast the last morning.

Wouldn't you want to enjoy the nicer breakfast?

On 3/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, JRondo said:

I was told by a RCCL rep that you can use it another day if you can't make it.  I was also told by another you can use it another day if you choose.  I did not experience this as we used it on day 1.  On our cruise, the only Key time the first day was for Flowrider Boogie Boarding at 2:30, so after the lunch time.  I hope this helps a little.

Thats exciting to know. I wonder how I could get that confirmed. I also would much rather do it on the second day. Windjammer misery is a cruise tradition.:classic_biggrin:

On 3/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, Biker19 said:

Perhaps it was not happening that day, but generally Key holders go into the Suite/P line in the terminal at PC before security.

So no matter what I just head to the pinnacle suite security line? I was unaware there was one BEFORE security (lowly diamond)? I s it clearly marked?

6 hours ago, Dan-P said:

This is not entirely true as it depends on the package you try to purchase.  The Absolute vodka and Sprite package seems to have no limitations and if you do a mock purchase, say for March 17th, numerous ships show up as an option in the drop down list that are listed as being excluded for the other packages.

The other packages do have a note at the bottom of their respective order screen listing the ships it isn't available on.

Guess maybe vodka is universally accepted, but rum, gin and scotch isn't?  LOL!!

Dan.

Everyone knows that vodka is just like water and can go anywhere.😎

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 7:19 AM, mcdni said:

This is only my 2nd cruise with RCI and the last one was 10 years ago. I decided to book the key to make it that little bit more special and relaxing. Now I don't have to worry about seating at shows. We don't have to worry about long delays on embarkation/disembarkation and we get a nice option for lunch on embarkation to go along with the internet and special hours for flow rider etc with much smaller queues. The breakfast on disembarkation seems to be getting good reviews.

Would I pay it if I was cruising more than once per year? Probably not. But to make our special cruise more special then I think it's probably going to be worth it. I'll maybe do a review when I return.

Amen!!!  We don't get to cruise very often and when we do cruise, we want our cruise to be special. Our cruises are usually part of a week Europe vacation.  That said we are seriously thinking about adding the key to our cruise to make our experience even more special.  Can't wait till June 23!!!

3 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

So no matter what I just head to the pinnacle suite security line? I was unaware there was one BEFORE security (lowly diamond)? I s it clearly marked?

Yes. 

Yes, though the sign I saw was inside (before security) the building so you have to wade through the humanity and perhaps a couple of terminal workers. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, xpcdoojk said:

Here is a Key question.

Chops lunch / Jamies etc.  Let’s say on April 17, 2019, I am in Sydney Harbor or is it Harbour, and I am standing on the dock.  I board right behind the suites and Ps and ahead of myself a D+.  I get on board drop a bag or two and get a daily activity sheet, which says stand-up surfing on the Ovation from 12 to 2.  Can I eat my Chops lunch on day two or do I lose it when I opt to go flowride instead of eating?

This is an important question......🏄‍♂️

jc

On 3/8/2019 at 6:07 PM, Bronika said:

I'm thinking about booking The Key, For my cruise on the Ovation, sailing from Sydney in a few weeks. I would also be interested in knowing if there is priority boarding.

If there is no priority boarding I can see a lot of people missing out on the Chops Grills lunch.

Boarded Explorer today in Sydney and can confirm that Key guests were checked in with Suites/Pinnacles etc. It was great and fast. 

Chops lunch was lovely so a great first day for the Key. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M-H-B said:

Boarded Explorer today in Sydney and can confirm that Key guests were checked in with Suites/Pinnacles etc. It was great and fast. 

Chops lunch was lovely so a great first day for the Key. 

Thx for posting! Enjoy ur Cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JoeFan said:

I have been reading posts that The Key can use the pinnacle and suite security line

Is this official or someone reported they were able to use it we think this is possible?

Actually...that group is called to continue the boarding process right after the Pinnacle & Suite groups.

Those groups also get some nice disembarking preferred places in line.

So if you have a Suite already and/or higher C&A status...other than a few other small things...paying for The Key is an expensive duplication of services for some folks.