Cruise Critic Community
ValerieJo

New Program called "The Key"

Then it's probably not available yet as that is where it is listed when available. Just keep checking back as they add new stuff in a willy nilly fashion, one day it's not there and the next day it is.

Does the Key ever go back on sale?  We got it once at $19, but for our sailing in October on Harmony, it has stayed steady at $29.99.  Just wondering if anyone has seen it go up and down on Cruise Planner or has it settled in at that price only now?

Thanks.

Edited by RCFirstTimer
Word spelled wrong.

4 hours ago, RCFirstTimer said:

Does the Key ever go back on sale?  We got it once at $19, but for our sailing in October on Harmony, it has stayed steady at $29.99.  Just wondering if anyone has seen it go up and down on Cruise Planner or has it settled in at that price only now?

Thanks.

I've seen reports of varying prices.

4 hours ago, RCFirstTimer said:

Thanks.

I bought it at $19.99 many months ago and I have not seen it at that price again ( Symphony)

I'm wondering if anyone who has purchased the Key benefit was able to change their embarkation Chops lunch to a different day?  We love the routine of the WJ on the first day...BUFFET!  At the same time, I don't want to miss an opportunity in Chops.  I am just wondering if we can reschedule our Chops lunch to a different day.  Thanks!

No, we were not able to change lunch to another day. This wasn't an option offered, and the Key lunch has a set menu different from the Chops lunch.

22 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

No, we were not able to change lunch to another day. This wasn't an option offered, and the Key lunch has a set menu different from the Chops lunch.

Okay, thanks for confirming that.  I didn't realize the lunch menus were different too.  Thanks again!

1 minute ago, slyster said:

Okay, thanks for confirming that.  I didn't realize the lunch menus were different too.  Thanks again!

The lunch is an abbreviated version of the Chops regular lunch menu (missing a few items in each category) but it is the Chops food.

4 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

The lunch is an abbreviated version of the Chops regular lunch menu (missing a few items in each category) but it is the Chops food.

okay, that explains why I have seen the key chops lunch menu posted.  I didn't realize they were different from a regular chops lunch.  Thank you again!

4 minutes ago, Wanderlust313 said:

Has this topic been closed? 

You wouldn’t be able to post if it was closed. Interest is waning and folks are on vacation. 

Just an FYI. We won our RoyalUP bid for a sky suite yesterday. Went today to cancel the key and since we are within 6 days of sailing (newbie mistake,) not allowed to cancel on line. I called Royal Caribbean and sat on the line with them for about half an hour while they tried to cancel it, called a supervisor to try to cancel it, also no luck.  Their only recommendation was to try to cancel on board next week.

I will be armed with the info from this thread (thanks to all who did all the work) and hopefully will be successful. 

Edited by cured
same reason as every other post. Fat fingers, cannot spell on my phone

3 minutes ago, cured said:

Went today to cancel the key and since we are within 6 days of sailing (newbie mistake,) not allowed to cancel on line.

That's an RCI IT issue, not newbie issue - should be able to cancel up till 3 days out.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

That's an RCI IT issue, not newbie issue - should be able to cancel up till 3 days out.

Just to confirm what @Biker19 said....

This is what we received on the receipt from RCI when I purchased.

Our cruise is 11/23/2019

D98F538D-1BAB-4008-8EAD-D34AEE5443B2.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Who do I need to talk to then to get it cancelled? Customer service wouldn't do it either.  I am really not too worried as I did cancel 3 of the 4 yesterday. I only have one key that needs to be cancelled.

Edited by cured

1 minute ago, cured said:

Who do I need to talk to then to get it cancelled. Customer service wouldn't do it either.

I'd try Crown & Anchor, 800-526-9723.

Just now, cured said:

Who do I need to talk to then to get it cancelled. Customer service wouldn't do it either.

You'll need to keep trying yourself in the planner and/or keep calling till 3 days out. After that, you'll have to take their advice and cancel on board.

Just now, Biker19 said:

You'll need to keep trying yourself in the planner and/or keep calling till 3 days out. After that, you'll have to take their advice and cancel on board.

I don't think the planner is going to work.  This is what I get, in large bold letters 😀, when I log into my planner:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: DUE TO YOUR CRUISE VACATION DEPARTING WITHIN THE NEXT 6 DAYS, YOU CAN NO LONGER PURCHASE / RESERVE / MODIFY / CANCEL PRODUCTS ONLINE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BROWSE AND VIEW YOUR SCHEDULE. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE ADDITIONAL RESERVATIONS / CHANGES ONCE ONBOARD.

I will keep trying to call and try different customer service reps. Now that I think of it, I think I also have the number of one of the planners who called me nonstop when I first booked and he told me to call him if I needed anything.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd try Crown & Anchor, 800-526-9723.

Thanks! I will try that too.

Thanks everyone for all your help for this clueless newbie.

2 minutes ago, cured said:

I don't think the planner is going to work.  This is what I get, in large bold letters 😀, when I log into my planner:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: DUE TO YOUR CRUISE VACATION DEPARTING WITHIN THE NEXT 6 DAYS, YOU CAN NO LONGER PURCHASE / RESERVE / MODIFY / CANCEL PRODUCTS ONLINE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BROWSE AND VIEW YOUR SCHEDULE. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE ADDITIONAL RESERVATIONS / CHANGES ONCE ONBOARD.

This is the first report I've seen about the planner shutting down 6 days out - RCI was working to make it 1 day, from the usual 3 days. Shore side may not be able to cancel it either.

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, cured said:

Thanks! I will try that too.

Thanks everyone for all your help for this clueless newbie.

I'd be curious to hear what C&A has to say, as we are supposed to be able to cancel Cruise Planner purchases up to 72 hours before the cruise.  If they refuse, please ask them if this is a change in policy.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd be curious to hear what C&A has to say, as we are supposed to be able to cancel Cruise Planner purchases up to 72 hours before the cruise.  If they refuse, please ask them if this is a change in policy.

Will do.  I was able to cancel 3 of the 4 keys yesterday and then after everyone's help with my questions if I needed the last one, went in to cancel it today. Oops, should have done it yesterday. At least I got most of them cancelled.

Edited by cured

19 hours ago, cured said:

I will keep trying to call and try different customer service reps. Now that I think of it, I think I also have the number of one of the planners who called me nonstop when I first booked and he told me to call him if I needed anything.

Update on why the planner shut down at 6 days rather than the customary 72 hours. Apparently on the Oasis Med cruise, even though you board in Rome 4 days later, the planner shuts down 72 hours before the Barcelona embarkation as that is supposedly the primary start of the cruise. 

Both Alex and Hans have told me that it is noted on my account that I tried to cancel well before 72 hours but couldn't because of the this Barcelona ridiculousness, so I should have no problems cancelling on board.  

I also got a nastygram from Royal Caribbean that they were missing my final payment that was due back in May so our cruise was going to be cancelled unless I paid. Problem was, even in the email, the balance showed I owed was $0. Hard to make a payment on 0. I did try. I thought if I ran my CC for 0, it would reset the error.

What triggered the email?  According to Customer Rep Alex, who was as perplexed as me and put me on hold for quite awhile to figure it out, it was triggered because I cancelled 3 of the 4 keys and the rules state that everyone has to have the key. So it looked like I had to purchase 3 more keys.  Yes, in the craziness of packing to leave today, the last minute RoyalUP bid, and having booked the key long, long ago last year,  that little detail slipped my mind. I was going to cancel the last one anyway, but just didn't do it at the same time with the other three. 

Computer systems can be finicky.  And believe me, I will be calling daily till Thursday just to make sure the computer didn't follow through with its threat even though I have been assured nothing will happen because our balance is at 0. Sorry, I read Cruise Critic too much to know that the Royal Caribbean software can have a mind of its own.

So, lesson for this newbie - if you cancel your key, remember the rules and make absolutely sure you cancel all of them at the same time. I was on the phone with Royal Caribbean at midnight last night, panicking that I was getting on a plane to Rome today and I would arrive without a cruise to enjoy.

Edited by cured

9 minutes ago, cured said:

So, lesson for this newbie - if you cancel your key, remember the rules and make absolutely sure you cancel all of them at the same time. 

Not sure if things changed recently, but the Planner lets you buy just one Key. 

That interporting in Europe does mess up a lot of things if you don’t embark at the “original “ port.  

Edited by Biker19

On 7/17/2019 at 11:18 PM, tomservo said:

When do they make the Key available in the cruise planner? I recently booked a cruise in May 2020, I can’t tell if I missed it and it’s already sold out, or if they haven’t offered it yet. 

My cruise for March just went on sale in the last few days. I reserved it for now while I decide. It was $37 a day per guest which really is too much I believe.