New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

2 minutes ago, Trackhead37 said:

I’ll trade you, lol

DA893ABD-26FA-4A20-AB0D-11EC06B834D1.png

holy moly!  That's insane.  😞  But I stalk the dang cruise planner pretty much daily.   FYI, even though I got a great deal on my Voom Surf & Stream and Chops, I still went with the Key.  The other perks were things we wanted and since I'm not in a suite and am not Diamond or higher, we went for it.  

12 minutes ago, Abr155 said:

I think some people may be over buying internet due to RCs confusing language when you go to add it to the cart. For the packages that are for multiple devices, you need only buy one pacakage-not one for each person! So make sure you are only clicking one passenger, not all of you! 

Naw, see post above. The difference is sale prices. I got 15% off Voom for my sailing and his is currently showing over 45% off and back when he got it 3 months ago, it was an even bigger sale. I suspect because my sailing takes place during 4th of July, they aren’t giving out the large discounts on the Voom. So The Key is generally worth it if you are at close to normal Voom pricing for your sailing and we’re planning to get the Voom anyway. Otherwise you’re paying a bit of a premium for the extra perks.

10 minutes ago, rockmom said:

holy moly!  That's insane.  😞  But I stalk the dang cruise planner pretty much daily.   FYI, even though I got a great deal on my Voom Surf & Stream and Chops, I still went with the Key.  The other perks were things we wanted and since I'm not in a suite and am not Diamond or higher, we went for it.  

Yep, i was like holy crap, that's crazy, I don't remember paying that much before, when looking at it with my wife. She pointed out that since we have always done suites, that we've never paid for it separately before, since it's been included with the suite. Unfortunately at the time we booked, there were no suite options available with a room for our kids that was directly across or next to it so, the only feasible option without booking one of us in one room with one son and the other in the 2nd room with our other son, was to do connecting balcony rooms. The Key didn't exist then so we thought we'd be suffering suite/concierge withdrawal this sailing. Now with The Key, we'll get everything but the concierge, lol.

1 minute ago, Trackhead37 said:

Yep, i was like holy crap, that's crazy, I don't remember paying that much before, when looking at it with my wife. She pointed out that since we have always done suites, that we've never paid for it separately before, since it's been included with the suite. Unfortunately at the time we booked, there were no suite options available with a room for our kids that was directly across or next to it so, the only feasible option without booking one of us in one room with one son and the other in the 2nd room with our other son, was to do connecting balcony rooms. The Key didn't exist then so we thought we'd be suffering suite/concierge withdrawal this sailing. Now with The Key, we'll get everything but the concierge, lol.

haha!  Sounds like a good plan to me.  🙂  We'll keep the ship nice for you.  My daughter and I have a hump balcony up on 14 and decided that the 'not waiting in lines' was worth the extra $$. 

1 minute ago, Abr155 said:

Holy cow!  Then the Key def makes sense if you were getting internet at that price!!

Yep, basically forced our hand with those prices. It for the good though, since it gives an excuse to go with The Key option, lol. Of course could always buy just one device plan of Voom and sign out and in back and forth on each phone for cheaper price but did that once on a Carnival cruise and was such a pain in the butt, haha.

33 minutes ago, Trackhead37 said:

I’ll trade you, lol

DA893ABD-26FA-4A20-AB0D-11EC06B834D1.png

With voom being $32 a day for 2 devices, Royal is only charging $19.99 for the Key?  I figure if they up the internet prices, the Key would be closer to $29.99 a day.

56 minutes ago, Trackhead37 said:

Ah, that explains a lot. So they just left out that a larger than usual sale was going on at the time they purchased the Voom package. My sailing is during 4th of July and also on Allure. Hefty price difference on that. Had i gotten Voom at that discount, then The Key would be a large increase. Their BS 15% sale right now has it at the $32.28 per person per day price though.

Here is the pricing for our July 5th Alaska cruise on Ovation. I would keep looking for a sale.  Had to look this up just now as I did not have to buy internet for this sailing.

Screenshot_20190107-112408_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 minutes ago, frank808 said:

With voom being $32 a day for 2 devices, Royal is only charging $19.99 for the Key?  I figure if they up the internet prices, the Key would be closer to $29.99 a day.

Technically they aren't upping the price of the Voom, just giving less of a discount off the regular price. Since $19.99 seems to be the best rate anyone is going to get on The Key, we're pulling the trigger on that. Don't want to wait on the discount on the Voom because I'm happy knowing we did well on the pricing of The Key compared to the current pricing on the Voom. Spend the extra money and give us a reason to pat ourselves on the back for only paying $7 per day more for The Key perks, lol.

5 minutes ago, Trackhead37 said:

Technically they aren't upping the price of the Voom, just giving less of a discount off the regular price. Since $19.99 seems to be the best rate anyone is going to get on The Key, we're pulling the trigger on that. Don't want to wait on the discount on the Voom because I'm happy knowing we did well on the pricing of The Key compared to the current pricing on the Voom. Spend the extra money and give us a reason to pat ourselves on the back for only paying $7 per day more for The Key perks, lol.

At $7 a day I would just pay for it if not staying in sky class with internet included.  So used to sailing larger ships with having internet included with sky.  Wish royal would make it the same across the fleet if sailing in GS or higher internet was included. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 7:45 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I took note of the private flowrider sessions.  5 one hour sessions for “key” guests.  The good news is that they were done on the Starboard side which lets the port side (standup flowrider) remain open to all as usual.  Also interesting is that twandpgster reported that it was very lightly used.  

Since I’d be paying for an internet package anyway I might look into this for the kids just for the 5 bonus hours of unicorn flowrider time. 

I just booked this for my Ovation cruise from Sydney to Honolulu.  Figure, I would buy the internet anyway, and if I get 5/7 of 15 days, that would be 10 Unicorn hours.  How much does it cost to rent the flowrider for an hour.  If I only get 5 Unicorn hours it has already paid for itself.  It was 19.99 per person on our cruise.  The DW will not appreciate the unicorn hours, but it can’t always be about the DW.😈🏄‍♂️

jc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I just booked this for my Ovation cruise from Sydney to Honolulu.  Figure, I would buy the internet anyway, and if I get 5/7 of 15 days, that would be 10 Unicorn hours.  How much does it cost to rent the flowrider for an hour.  If I only get 5 Unicorn hours it has already paid for itself.  It was 19.99 per person on our cruise.  The DW will not appreciate the unicorn hours, but it can’t always be about the DW.😈🏄‍♂️

jc

Sweet.  We had a bit of a unicorn cruise at Christmas on Allure. Mornings were very light. Usually 6 people maybe 8 between 8 and 11 on port days and between 8 and 10 on sea days. 

Afternoons were crazy with newbies but lots of ride time in the morning. 

This was my sons second cruise doing stand up and he got invited to the best of the best. 

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

A private hour on the flowrider without instruction is $345.00.

Steve

jc

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Would have been nice - the regular Flowrider has a line of about 10. 

Finally read thru this whole thread.  I never realized the unicorn angle when people first started talking about this while I was on the Symphony TA.  10 is not bad, not great either,  However 4 beats 10 twice and a half times better.  4 is pretty much the perfect number on the wave.  1 person is exhausting when you are my age, 2, still exhausting but doable, 3 nice.  4 good to share.  5 GRRR!

jc

I know I am a hater on non flowrider cruise ships in the RCI, fleet, and I have thought the key would be complete garbage on say the Radiance, but .....   I think back to our Alaska cruise sailing from Juneau at the end of August this summer.  We would eat dinner and go to the show, if we arrived 10 minutes before the show started (as a group of 6 adults) we would walk into the main theatre and it was standing room only.  The Key would have been really nice.  We sailed the Symphony TA about 50 days later, and while there were a bazillion C&A members because the DW and I (sailing as just a couple) had prebooked our shows, and being D+ we were directed to the upper area reserved for our C&A status.  It was so much better.  I would think if I had the Key on the Radiance it would have been a much better experience.  We litterally stood through 4 shows on the Radiance.  $40 a couple would probably have been worth it.  

So, I would not recommend the Key for those ships, I can see a reason for the Key even there.

jc

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Today’s session had 4 customers out of 90 apparently sold. 

Hopefully this will inspire more Flowrider enthusiast to purchase the Key, otherwise this perk may be going the way of carry-on luggage drop off.

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

During the afternoon session reserved for Key yesterday on Oasis there were three staff and zero customers about 20 minutes into the session. 

If too many of those start happening it would not surprise me to see Roysl cut back on the number of sessions offered.

Just now, HBE4 said:

Hopefully this will inspire more Flowrider enthusiast to purchase the Key, otherwise this perk may be going the way of carry-on luggage drop off.

We are a tiny but extremely loyal group....  Anywhere from 2 to 40 on any given cruise.  2 is a unicorn cruise. 40 is a TA on an Oasis ship.

That said, the lines are still much longer than that because you have 5000 others who need to do the flowrider, and after wiping out and sucking they go back to drinking and gambling.  Which is not to say I don’t do all I can to encourage said interloper into become an enthusiast.  I just know the actual statistics on those that do.

jc