New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

My issue is not whether or not it's worth it . And I'm not interested in how it affects suite passengers . The problem is the idea itself. I experienced this scheme at Universal Studios in Orlando , where you could buy an Express Pass to bypass the lines . It pissed me off . You could say , well then buy the pass if it annoys you . Perhaps, but I'd rather spend my money where they don't work so hard to segment their customers into classes . I accept that suites get extra perks but this is a chintzy step too far . 

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That's the part that we don't know how it will be implemented - there are  only so many hours available outside of the general public hours.

And that's my concern - as a Flow Rider user - but not at all interested in this package - are they going to give this private time at the expense of time normally allotted to the general public?  If so - this is a BAD deal for everyone.  That's chipping away at already included items and devaluing something in order to push others to pay a fee.  

Some would argue that is already happening with the for fee dining and degraded dining room quality - similar scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

My issue is not whether or not it's worth it . And I'm not interested in how it affects suite passengers . The problem is the idea itself. I experienced this scheme at Universal Studios in Orlando , where you could buy an Express Pass to bypass the lines . It pissed me off . You could say , well then buy the pass if it annoys you . Perhaps, but I'd rather spend my money where they don't work so hard to segment their customers into classes . I accept that suites get extra perks but this is a chintzy step too far . 

I was just at Universal and loved the Express Pass.  It makes it so much more fun to not stand in a huge line.  We got the pass for Halloween Horror night too.  Well worth every penny and it makes Universal my favorite park just for the express passes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keksie said:

I was just at Universal and loved the Express Pass.  It makes it so much more fun to not stand in a huge line.  We got the pass for Halloween Horror night too.  Well worth every penny and it makes Universal my favorite park just for the express passes.

I'm curious...how much did those cost?

33 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious...how much did those cost?

It varies by date and type of express pass (multi day ticket, etc...) We just got back from Universal Japan and paid $76 a person for their version of the express pass, which is a little different than the US parks. In Florida, you can get the express pass included as a perk if you stay at certain hotels with a vacation package. We did that a few years back and it was worth it for our family. 

On 11/9/2018 at 6:36 PM, Keksie said:

Yeap.  MUCH better than the FastPass system with Disney.

When I called to ask about airport transfers, the representative asked if I had heard of the Key and said it included airport transfers. At that point, I was all in. Just the transfers are $200, so that would've been a good deal. However, it does NOT include airport transfers, so now it's more of a question for me.

I'm still considering it, only because it's my husband's first cruise, he doesn't get around very well (though not technically disabled), and I'm thinking it might be worth it just to have reserved seating for the shows. Because of his mobility issues, he struggles. However, it's been a long time since I've been on a cruise (10 years+), so I don't even know if priority seating is even necessary, We won't be doing the flow rider or rock climbing. On one hand, I feel like why spend the money. On the other hand, if it prevents a grumpy husband and means we don't have to fight crowds,  it might just mean he will go on future cruises!

The representative said there are no more than 40 Key memberships offered per sailing. Not sure if that's true, or if it's like "the airport transfers are included."

On 11/9/2018 at 1:36 PM, Keksie said:

Doing HHN the past 5 years we always get the express pass at least one night.  Then we did the RIP tour and thought that was good as we got to do every house in 6 hours with almost no wait.  Couple weeks ago we did the private RIP tour and that has spoiled us.  From 6pm to 1am we got to go through the houses 29 times.  No waits and the longest was walking to the houses.  After doing a private RIP tour, I dont think I can do HHN with out that option anymore.  Imagine express pass on steroids.  

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Sounds like having a Plaid at Disney. 

Exactly the same.  You have a private guide to take you around the park.  They have stories and background info about the rides and houses.  Also we were able to see the backstage of Mummy and the immigration room for Men in Black.  Costs are about the same as what disney charges for their private guides.

7 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Exactly the same.  You have a private guide to take you around the park.  They have stories and background info about the rides and houses.  Also we were able to see the backstage of Mummy and the immigration room for Men in Black.  Costs are about the same as what disney charges for their private guides.

We did the Plaid program with four and we saw more things in 7 hours than one could imagine. The back of the house things that we saw was amazing. We covered the best of three parks by 4 in the afternoon and we still did MK that night on our own.  A long but amazing day. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

1 hour ago, 3bzmom said:

The representative said there are no more than 40 Key memberships offered per sailing. Not sure if that's true, or if it's like "the airport transfers are included."

I wonder how many other examples of bogus info will be given out to customers during the testing of this program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of people saying "no," which is where I'm leaning, but I'm hoping someone who tries it out will come back and report here. It would be nice to have the questions answered such as the extra hours on the amenities and whether the lunch was overcrowded.

42 minutes ago, Ted&Elle said:

Lots of people saying "no," which is where I'm leaning, but I'm hoping someone who tries it out will come back and report here. It would be nice to have the questions answered such as the extra hours on the amenities and whether the lunch was overcrowded.

I’ll defin report back, but we aren’t cruising until February. I doubt we will even use the activities due to physical abilities, but I will at least have a look at how long lines are, what the hours are, etc.

1 hour ago, 3bzmom said:

I’ll defin report back, but we aren’t cruising until February. I doubt we will even use the activities due to physical abilities, but I will at least have a look at how long lines are, what the hours are, etc.

Good deal! I'm also going in Feb and I'm hoping someone comes along before then to tell us how it worked out!

Norwegian tried something like this a few years ago. People freaked out and the program was pulled. I can't remember the exact details, but the main issue was that it was going to affect the suite customers. Enough complained and the program never happened. 

I'll be curious to see how all this plays out. 

I just got the email from RCI trying to get me to sign up for "the key" for my 12/2 Oasis cruise.  Yeah right.  25.00 a day per person on a 7 night cruise.  25.00 x 2 x 7 = 350 bucks.  Whaaaatt??? :classic_blink: And the funny thing is I am booked in a Grand Suite.  Yeah...like I am gonna jump on that "deal"  NOT!! :classic_wacko:

On 11/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Cigar King said:

Sounds like a lot of what I get in a suite for a fraction of the cost.  Is this open to everyone?  I did a little search in Google.  Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.*****.com/category/category/the-key

IF you read the promotional information via the link provided....the cost is per person/per day.....NOT worth it to me.