Is a passport card sufficient?

BENHANDEL

I posted a while back about my son losing his passport...we planned to just use birth certificate and ID....but I was surprised that online registration accepted the number from the passport card. 

I thought the passport card only worked at "land crossings," like to Canada and Mexico...but are ports considered "land crossings?" Will his passport card be sufficient along with his license? Or do we also need to bring along a copy of his birth certificate?

TIA

Here's the link to the State Department's web site showing the differences between a passport and passport card. For cruises to the Caribbean and Bermuda, a passport card is acceptable:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

it's probably been said a million times on CC, on a closed end cruise a birth certificate and picture ID are sufficient. A passport card is a little more than a picture ID. I personally would never leave U.S. soil without a passport. $100 for 10 years is a bargain, the gold standard of ID. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, coevan said:

it's probably been said a million times on CC, on a closed end cruise a birth certificate and picture ID are sufficient. A passport card is a little more than a picture ID. I personally would never leave U.S. soil without a passport. $100 for 10 years is a bargain, the gold standard of ID. 

Completely agree, why would anyone get a "card"?

If you already have one then use but a Passport is good for all sort of things... we carry ours even if flying within the US, everyone accepts them.

My son was a Captain in St.Thomas and took cruise ship passengers to BVI. Going to BVI 6 days a week a passport would fill rather quickly. Most St.Thomas Captains carry passport cards. The most common carriers of cards are people working between countries like Canada or Mexico, as long as you travel by land or sea.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobsfamily said:

When we all got our first passports 2 years ago, hubby thought the card looked "cool" and he wanted the kids to have some sort of portable ID. That's why we have cards...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coevan said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Furthermore, though I’m sure someone will be at the ready to debate me, I would never even disembark without it. Proof of my citizenship is one I’d never leave home without. 

• Like 3

As others have said. however, if for whatever reason you get stuck out of the country (medical emergency and have to fly home from a port, miss the boat because you got stuck in traffic on a non-carnival sanctioned excursion, etc.) then the passport card WILL NOT be sufficient to fly back home.

If worried about flying home if stuck in a port, you still can get travel authorization.

How many people leave the boat at ports and take their passport out of the safe with them.

There are plans in place for such situations at ports and all around the world.

8 hours ago, coevan said:

no it does not outside the U.S.

REAL ID exists only within the US😉.

OP, yes, the passport card is sufficient for traveling via closed loop or open jaw sailings returning from Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Mexico. No need to bring a birth certificate or any other ID. I know many people in my border town community whose only travel will ever be traveling into Canada and all they have is a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License and they would scoff at the idea that they need a passport. I drove up to Montreal a couple of weeks ago and used my EDL for the trip, leaving my passport in the safe deposit box. Yes, the passport is the gold standard but there are alternatives available for those whose travel needs don't include international air travel.

13 hours ago, coevan said:

Why do people constantly post this false info.  A PASSPORT CARD IS A PASSPORT - IT IS ISSUED AS A CONVENIENCE TO THOSE THAT ONLY CRUISE CLOSED LOOP AND WHO DRIVE ACROSS THE BOARDER. 

The card is great.  No one, wants to carry a passport book when swimming, and going to the beach.  However, the card can be carried at all times with you, without the fear of getting wet.  It is issued by the government, and it requires all the same info as the book. 

The only drawback, is that you can't get on an International flight and be allowed to "enter" a foreign country.  However, if you have a card, and you have some sort of emergency, it is much easier to work out the solution, since you are already in the data base with a passport.  It makes it faster and much easier to get the proper travel authorization if something happens, which is rare, to get to the USA. 

LET'S CUT OUT THE SCARE TATICS AND JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, coevan said:

no it does not outside the U.S.

If you are outside the USA, then you wouldn't be concerned with a drivers license.  The post was that you can use the "card" or "book" to fly domestically if your DL is not yet upgraded.  But of course, this is not related to the question.

17 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

If you already have one then use but a Passport is good for all sort of things... we carry ours even if flying within the US, everyone accepts them.

If you cross the border regularly by car, it's a huge asset. The cards are RFID equipped which allows for the card holders to go through special lanes at the border, which on average saves at least 1 hour of idling time in line. 

The bigger advantage is that it's incredibly portable, much more so than a regular passport. So if you are like me and are out and about and decide you need a certain medicine, tequila, or just a killer margarita and nachos, you can just head for the border with out having to go back home to retrieve the passport. 

Or the best use of all...as a back-up to expedite passport replacement should yours get lost. for a mere $35, it's a deal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

Why do people constantly post this false info.  A PASSPORT CARD IS A PASSPORT - IT IS ISSUED AS A CONVENIENCE TO THOSE THAT ONLY CRUISE CLOSED LOOP AND WHO DRIVE ACROSS THE BOARDER. 

The card is great.  No one, wants to carry a passport book when swimming, and going to the beach.  However, the card can be carried at all times with you, without the fear of getting wet.  It is issued by the government, and it requires all the same info as the book. 

The only drawback, is that you can't get on an International flight and be allowed to "enter" a foreign country.  However, if you have a card, and you have some sort of emergency, it is much easier to work out the solution, since you are already in the data base with a passport.  It makes it faster and much easier to get the proper travel authorization if something happens, which is rare, to get to the USA. 

A little angry? I do not need to use caps, but a passport card is a passport card, a passport is a passport. To say they are the same is misleading at best. What scare tactics are you speaking of? Rare or not people get injured on vacation. Your logic says you probably do not buy insurance either. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robc1972 said:

How many people leave the boat at ports and take their passport out of the safe with them.

Many of us do - except those who are afraid of losing everything (social security card, passport, Insurance ID Card, Driver's License) Seems like a terrible life to live with all that fear.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lizardhowson said:

Many of us do - except those who are afraid of losing everything (social security card, passport, Insurance ID Card, Driver's License) Seems like a terrible life to live with all that fear.

You’re being quite presumptive here. I can’t speak for everyone but in my case it has more to do with the knowledge I carry as opposed to fear. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Edited by niciediva007

9 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, BENHANDEL said:

A PASSPORT CARD IS A PASSPORT

no it's not, try flying to any Caribbean island, tell me how that passport card worked out for you.

5 minutes ago, BENHANDEL said:

Who posted a scare tactic?

16 hours ago, lizardhowson said:

None of that, I don't like to carry things around with me that I don't have to carry so if I don't need to carry my passport (because of local law or for a shore excursion) I leave it in the safe. 

20 hours ago, coevan said:

A little angry? I do not need to use caps, but a passport card is a passport card, a passport is a passport. To say they are the same is misleading at best. What scare tactics are you speaking of? Rare or not people get injured on vacation. Your logic says you probably do not buy insurance either. 

They are issued the same, and carry the same weight and security of proving your citizenship.  Unless you are the unfortunate that needs to fly back, which is such a small percent, well below 1%, the card will still help you get back.  I have health insurance that covers me Internationally.  So I do not buy extra insurance and I would get one of my friends to come pick me up in their plane if I needed transport.