Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TFLG

Bliss Elevators

Recommended Posts

I notice a lot of people complaining about the wait for elevators on the Bliss. I'm just off it and I noticed this too. After day two I also noticed that pressing an elevator button was not illuminating all of the call buttons. So I would see elevators skipping our floor.  Sometimes pressing a button would illuminate two or three of them but usually I needed to press a couple to get them all.    So press ALL THE BUTTONS.  Once I started pressing them all our wait times decreased.  Never seen this on any other ship but this is the first time on a bigger NCL ship, maybe they are all like this.   And yes, there were times when those things were PACKED.  More than once I went up to go down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also just got off the Bliss . And yes the elevator  wait  was one of the  few problems  on a great cruise. I feel the elevators are controlled  by a computer  program  that is programed to allow only a few elevators during certain  times . More than once I  noticed only two of the eight elevators moving, the others never moved off a floor, even though the buttons were pushed, and  many waiting. If that is the case, it would  be  an easy  fix. I am glad I  was on the 9th floor, just a few steps from Sugarcanes and the Wiskey  bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the signage above the forward elevators, you will see that 4 of the 8 elevators stop at deck 15 and 4 of the 8 elevators go to deck 16 and 17. So, you need to press the call buttons on both banks of elevators if you want to get on the first available. 

 

This split bank configuration started with the Epic and has carried forward to all of the -away class ships (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss (and assumed Joy and Encore)). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you look at the signage above the forward elevators, you will see that 4 of the 8 elevators stop at deck 15 and 4 of the 8 elevators go to deck 16 and 17. So, you need to press the call buttons on both banks of elevators if you want to get on the first available. 

 

This split bank configuration started with the Epic and has carried forward to all of the -away class ships (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss (and assumed Joy and Encore)). 

Sometimes, folks need to figure out things in their own...let the folks with common sense move forward. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like a lot of the problems with the elevators in the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships would be alleviated to large extent with some weight sensors and simple programming. If they would put use weight sensors to determine when an elevator is "full" it could skip the floors where people are waiting to board (button outside elevator is pushed), but no one is getting off (button inside elevator is not pushed). A lot of the frustration and delay in the elevators is when they stop on every floor, but no one gets off and there is no room for new people to board. It would be MUCH more efficient and allow everything to run more smoothly if they didn't waste people's time and get people's hopes up by stopping when they are full.

 

Sure there would still be issues with crowding and waiting during peak times, like when a show lets out to embarkation/debarkation, but for the more normal load times, it would be a big help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I feel like a lot of the problems with the elevators in the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships would be alleviated to large extent with some weight sensors and simple programming. If they would put use weight sensors to determine when an elevator is "full" it could skip the floors where people are waiting to board (button outside elevator is pushed), but no one is getting off (button inside elevator is not pushed). A lot of the frustration and delay in the elevators is when they stop on every floor, but no one gets off and there is no room for new people to board. It would be MUCH more efficient and allow everything to run more smoothly if they didn't waste people's time and get people's hopes up by stopping when they are full.

 

Sure there would still be issues with crowding and waiting during peak times, like when a show lets out to embarkation/debarkation, but for the more normal load times, it would be a big help.

 

I guarantee that there will be claims of "weight discrimination" if the elevators measured the weight of cruisers and behaved differently....especially when the elevator is leaving the Garden Cafe. :classic_blink:

 

Every person who has their floor skipped will side-eye every overweight person who leaves or enters an elevator. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GAME of Elevator Yo-Yo or up and down the elevator stair case -----

 

Strange you punch a button for going up or down and the elevator simply goes by your floor all the way to the

deck where embarking disembarking is going on or to the top of the ship where the suites havens are located.

What's up - well perhaps it is the Butler or Concierge escorting the guests in those suites to their destination

by use of a bypass key that controls the elevator. Just one of the hidden perks of being in a suite.

 

Elevators crowded - learn how to outfox the system - use another elevator bank - walk laterally and use the

less busy elevators in another area of the ship

Ride an elevator up or down opposite of your intended direction to insure that on its return trip you will be

able to be on that elevator going to your floor

Alternate to this take the stairs up or down one flight and then get on the elevator

Didn't punch the floor button timely - punch the button one floor above or below yours and take the stairs

As a matter of courtesy see folks in wheelchairs or scooters plan to wait another cycle for the next elevator

unless you like your toes run over

 

Normally on the smaller ships -16- normal guests should be accommodated before the overweight limit kicks

in and requires one or more guests to leave the elevator to resume travel - I don't know the limits of the -AWAY

class ships or the size of the elevators - but when your elevator doesn't budge - open the door and someone get

out to solve the immoveable elevator.

 

Lastly burn off those unwanted pounds - take the stairs all the way to where you are going - Whew now that is a workout ! 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2+2 said:

I also just got off the Bliss . And yes the elevator  wait  was one of the  few problems  on a great cruise. I feel the elevators are controlled  by a computer  program  that is programed to allow only a few elevators during certain  times . More than once I  noticed only two of the eight elevators moving, the others never moved off a floor, even though the buttons were pushed, and  many waiting. If that is the case, it would  be  an easy  fix. I am glad I  was on the 9th floor, just a few steps from Sugarcanes and the Wiskey  bar.

 

 

We were on deck 9 too and I really liked that deck.  The easy proximity to bars and food was a real plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is poor design. All elevators in a bank should have one call button up and down. Not split banks. Everyone pushes both elevators and you stop at empty decks a lot slowing elevators. 

 

Simple programming (like in any modern office building) would home elevators where they need to be. All elevators go to the theater decks after a show and after muster. All elevators go to the gangway deck an hour before all aboard time. All elevators go high when you arrive in a port. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The GAME of Elevator Yo-Yo or up and down the elevator stair case -----

 

Strange you punch a button for going up or down and the elevator simply goes by your floor all the way to the

deck where embarking disembarking is going on or to the top of the ship where the suites havens are located.

What's up - well perhaps it is the Butler or Concierge escorting the guests in those suites to their destination

by use of a bypass key that controls the elevator. Just one of the hidden perks of being in a suite.

 

Elevators crowded - learn how to outfox the system - use another elevator bank - walk laterally and use the

less busy elevators in another area of the ship

Ride an elevator up or down opposite of your intended direction to insure that on its return trip you will be

able to be on that elevator going to your floor

Alternate to this take the stairs up or down one flight and then get on the elevator

Didn't punch the floor button timely - punch the button one floor above or below yours and take the stairs

As a matter of courtesy see folks in wheelchairs or scooters plan to wait another cycle for the next elevator

unless you like your toes run over

 

Normally on the smaller ships -16- normal guests should be accommodated before the overweight limit kicks

in and requires one or more guests to leave the elevator to resume travel - I don't know the limits of the -AWAY

class ships or the size of the elevators - but when your elevator doesn't budge - open the door and someone get

out to solve the immoveable elevator.

 

Lastly burn off those unwanted pounds - take the stairs all the way to where you are going - Whew now that is a workout ! 

 

 

 

As I remember it, Haven guests can also use their own key to make the elevator go in to express mode. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be on the Bliss in less than 2 weeks. I've been on the Escape and also RCL's Oasis class ships. I really appreciate the heads up and tips here and if the wait times are too long, I can always take the stairs a few floors (we're on 12). Gotta walk off all the food and drinks anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, amscene1 said:

As I remember it, Haven guests can also use their own key to make the elevator go in to express mode. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? 

I'm on the Bliss in December and I want to know that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually,  a maximum total weight light would be nice. Many times the elevator was packed and still more people forced their way on. Better not be closterphobic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Getaway, except for muster, embarkation and demarcation there really wasn't much of a wait. Couple of other things to do. If you are not getting off and just need to get to another floor take the bank of elevators not near the gangway. After the show walk to the other end of the ship instead of waiting with everyone else for those elevators. Finally unless you can't and only have 1 or 2 floors to go...take the stairs, this will help the people who just can't do stairs.

 

Unfortunately the need to split the banks is necessary since only some of the elevators go to 16 and 17. Also the Haven guests do not have the ability to control the elevators only the crew does. However it is not uncommon for Haven guests to be escorted up or down during shows, embarkation or debarkation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, bam1957 said:

I'm on the Bliss in December and I want to know that as well.

 

On 11/6/2018 at 6:38 AM, amscene1 said:

As I remember it, Haven guests can also use their own key to make the elevator go in to express mode. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? 

 

We’re either if you able to confirm this on your trip on the Bliss? Just curious as I will be traveling on the Bliss in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they need to go back to 3 banks of elevators

Also I agree people need to figure out the buttons, and not keep pushing them until the open elevator is gone

 

 And for people to learn some manners, or take the stairs

Being in a wheelchair I do not have that option.

It it amazing how I will wait patiently for the elevator only to be jumped over so people can get in.

Don't get me wrong, I have had many people get out of their way so I can get on, and some have gotten out and taken the stairs

Granted I have seen people in wheelchairs and scooters who will run you over (mostly people who have rented the scooter for the cruise and do not know how to drive them)

I am a very patient man, I only say if I run over your toes it will ruin your cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was on the Bliss and Escape, Elevators were not much of an issue. People need to press the button for the bank of elevators going to the floor they want. Not all elevators go to all of the upper floors. And, most helpful for us, was to realize that the Alt elevators were not used nearly as much as the forward elevators, especially later in the day. So if you really need to use the elevators (instead of the stairs), choose the aft elevators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NowHeather said:

 

 

We’re either if you able to confirm this on your trip on the Bliss? Just curious as I will be traveling on the Bliss in April.

 

Nope didn't work. We tried it a couple of times when it was just us on the elevator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, NowHeather said:

 

 

We’re either if you able to confirm this on your trip on the Bliss? Just curious as I will be traveling on the Bliss in April.

Crew members can put an elevator into express mode. Not passengers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you hold the door close button, the doors will shut before someone else has a chance to jump on when it stops at the next floor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this thread is about the Bliss, but on the Epic the rear elevators didn't go down to deck 5.  If you were in a wheelchair or scooter you had to use the front elevators.  Also, on the decks with passenger cabins you could only see 4 of the 8 elevators at a time front and rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCL has had the “problem” with elevators in a bank not all going to the same floors. Started with the Epic and has been carried forward in all of the Breakaway class ships. So, they split the elevators calls into two (or more) zones. Every pushes all buttons casing cars to stop unnecessarily. 

 

They could also also have a couple of “high demand” modes where all cars are homes either high or low (simplest) forcing all cars to stop on the highest or lowest floor. 

 

Yeah, there are instances where there are no passenger areas (like Deck 4 pointed out above) where you just can’t run cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When we sailed the Bliss in February we tried to always used the aft elevators and we never had to wait too long.  We tried the forward elevators but they were packed.  I have a walker so we have to take elevators.

 

FYI. You have to take the forward elevators o get to the Vibe.  There is only one elevator forward that goes up there. 

Edited by cincicruisers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...