Edge Overpriced???

Mr&MrsBee

I have a 9 day cruise in Dec 2019  for the ABC islands on the Silhoutte booked for$4600.  Out of curiosity I looked at the

same itinerary  on the Edge for Nov 2019 and found the price to be $9004.  Same type of cabin CC and GO BEST on both.

The question is what do I get for the extra $4000?  Any answers?  Thank you.

The Edge is only overpriced, if you and your wallet believes it is not worth the financial outlay, currently.

Many have decided it is worth it and/or purchased passage when first released and only saw pricing increase since.

Some pricing has retreated though.

bon voyage

• Like 4

Overpriced for me, but at least at this time not overpriced for them since they get what they're asking. The market determines the price. 

What do you get? My answer: A new experience on a new class of ship. Only you can determine if it justifies the price to you.

So I just did a mock booking on our TA site for the 9 night Edge to compare it to our booking on Silhouette for next Thanksgiving.  Both are 9 nights and both are for a suite:

Mock booking:  Sky Suite (S3) for $12, 216 with $1500 OBC (on Edge)

Current booking: Royal Suite (RS) for $12, 250 with $1550 OBC (on Silhouette)

Not sure I'd pay $12k for an entry level suite, new ship or not.  We are in a S2 in April on the Edge and we paid what I think is pretty typical (or typical on S-class ships).  But we booked 18 months ago when the prices were still reasonable.

We enjoy cruising in a suite and chose the Silhouette for next year because of the length of the itinerary and the availability of the RS.  It's our 15 year wedding anniversary so a bit of a splurge.  Silhouette will not have gone through its Edgeification at that time.  I'm wondering what will happen to prices on S-class ships after they come out of dry dock resembling the Edge class amenities.

So over priced? It's all relative to the individual.  Edge is currently over priced for me.  I'm grateful for the booking I have bc we may not otherwise get to sail on her at her current price point.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Pricing is in the eye of the beholder and what the market will allow.  We grabbed our Edge booking the first day available in March 2017 and got a relatively great price.  Later cruises on Edge class will be more reasonable particularly after Apex is launched.  Look for the very first date Apex is available for booking and jump on it.  S-Class and M-Class ships particularly post revolution updates will be great ships probably with some great values if you want to wait a bit for Edge Class pricing to come down.

32 minutes ago, George C said:

Looked at edge sky suites then booked MSc yacht club with similar perks for half the price

I almost fainted when I saw the Edge prices.  MSC Yacht Club is a great bargain.  Just off a cruise on the Seaside.  Neither one of them has interesting itineraries, so it comes down to price.  I paid less than $2,000/pp for a 7-night cruise.  Price that out on the Edge.  Amazing.

As others have said, overpriced is in the eye of the beholder.  For me, it's way overpriced. In fact, a lot of what Celebrity is offering right now seems overpriced.   I have Ireland & Iceland coming up in May, for only 10 nights that I paid way more for than any of our previous longer cruises with Celebrity, & then the Abu Dhabi Suez Canal to Rome the next year... but I'm looking at MSC & their yacht club experience.   I love  the beauty of Celebrity's ships, but going forward, I'll be shopping around for prices on more interesting itineraries. 

8 hours ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

I have a 9 day cruise in Dec 2019  for the ABC islands on the Silhoutte booked for$4600.  Out of curiosity I looked at the

same itinerary  on the Edge for Nov 2019 and found the price to be $9004.  Same type of cabin CC and GO BEST on both.

I believe you get $4000 worth of bragging rights to say "been there, done that." You also have the right to have anyone in the know think "wow, they could have had two cruises or a large suite!"

• Like 3

We booked it first day that it was available. Took about 48 hours to come to our senses.  We cancelled and used the money to fly to Australia for a  2 1/2 week land trip. Came out the same as a 7 day milk run Caribbean cruise on Edge in an infinity balcony.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

Prices are very high right now....but your CC cabin  price does include Go Best and Silhouette is one of the best Celebrity ships!

We "lucked out" booking the 9 night  ABC  itin on Edge  awhile ago but not at the start of the booking  period.. Paying  around $5, 000 for 2  for a Sunset Veranda...aft  outdoor oversize balcony,  with  one perk.

We could not afford our usual AQ cabin at the time we booked the SV.,,,We will have  one of those in Jan which includes, enclosed verandam  BLU and Thermal Suites,   so time for a new experience!  ABC itin is great!

I just repriced and called to change the booking for Dec7,1029. Saved $300.00 and got an additional $100.00 OBC. This ship will be Edgeified in may 2019. This is on the Equinox, by the way,

Edited by deliver42
2019, not 1029.

A few years ago you could buy a Yugo for much much less than a BMW.  The Yugo would get you from A to B [most days] just like the BMW.  But lots more people bought BMWs than Yugos.  It turns out the Yugo was overpriced, not the BMW.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

Holy crap, I thought the $4,600 was a lot so I guess the Edge is out for me.  Just off the 10 night Equinox ABC cruise, only in an 1A but it was $3010 total with $350 OBC and the drink package.  You guys are all out of my price range.  lol  I'll never get on the Edge, just not worth it to me, way to many other options for vacation. 

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A few years ago you could buy a Yugo for much much less than a BMW.  The Yugo would get you from A to B [most days] just like the BMW.  But lots more people bought BMWs than Yugos.  It turns out the Yugo was overpriced, not the BMW.

So you're saying by that analogy that you believe Solstice class is overpriced, right?

42 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

So you're saying by that analogy that you believe Solstice class is overpriced, right?

Just looked at an old travel  folder.  In Oct 2017, we did a 10 night ABC cruise in AQ  on the Infinity...  Price was $2099 pp, with Classic bev .  It was a great cruise, but an older ship..AC completely conked out sev times towards the end, sewage smells in hallways and mildew issue in  bathroom..

For the higher fare in 2019, we expect  innovation on EDGE, no mildew and funtional AC. Everything brand new!

Nicer/ newer  ships command higher fares!  EDGE is no exception!

But we plan to revisit EQUINOX and SILHO..two favs! M Class is out fir us unless the plumbing and AC  systems are upgraded

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Not at all.  I'm saying that 'overpriced' is a concept that can only be applied after you see whether people are willing to pay the asking price.  Edge is selling extremely well, even at these incredible prices.  Since Celebrity isn't a charitable organization, why would anybody claim it is 'overpriced'?

• Like 1

IMHO they may have pushed the envelop a bit too far.  We are book on the Edge in January.  Since early on Suites and AQ were sold out.  It is 67 days until we sail and now there are 54 Suites & 10 AQ cabins available.  The lowest price Suite is $11k+ and AQ is $7k+ for 7 nights😳.  We booked on day 1 and paid $3,700 for AQ with the beverage pkg., prepaid gratuties and $350 OBC.   Glad we will get to see the ship but frankly when looking for future cruises I go right past the Edge, price premium is just too high for us.