Dress Code - Regal Princess

mustang$

1 hour ago, mustang$ said:

A few weeks back I started this topic - we just returned from 7 nights on the Regal.  With the exception of the 2 Formal Nights & the night that we ate at the Crown Grille I wore nice Dress Shorts (Linen or Micro Fiber) not Cargo Shorts to the Dining Room.

No body said a word - not the Maitre D, not the Head Waiters.  This was a Caribbean Cruise - you want to be comfortable.

& just for reference - I'm an active 70 year old!!f17.thumb.JPG.ecd56fdab67bdfce70be19512323e59f.JPG  

Like the picture! And thanks for coming back and giving us an update.  

I've seen shorts in both the MDR and the Crown Grill on the Regal for a couple of years now while in the Caribbean.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2018 at 8:04 AM, mustang$ said:

Sailing on 11/18 & was wondering what the dress code for dining room was on Non-Formal Nights.  I like wearing nice - dress shorts & was wondering if anybody, who has recently sailed on the Regal, can tell me if the long pants rule was enforced by the Maitre D' - this is a Caribbean Cruise.  I've sailed on the Regal 4 previous times & this was not enforced. 

From Princess FAQ:

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 10:19 PM, satxdiver said:

I once complained to the maitre-d about the double standard when I continually saw women admitted to the MDR in flip flops, pajama like bottoms and a black like tshirt.  I was told that women can wear about anything since the staff cannot really question them while men have a "standard".   It is more called a double standard.  

Personally what others wear in the MDR does not impact my meal one bit.  I do like to watch and note deviations from the so called "standard" which seems to be getting more frequent.  

So it no longer bothers you what others wear in the MDR?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

40 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

From Princess FAQ:

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

I'm very aware of what Princess states in their FAQ's & what they say over the phone re: Men's Dress.  Yes,on Formal Nights there were a handful of guys in Tuxedos, a couple in Sports Jackets but the majority were in slacks & dress shirts.  & then there were the guys in T shirts & sloppy jeans. So, since they don't enforce this requirement, I feel on Non-Formal Nights in the Caribbean nice shorts are appropriate - you're on vacation why not be comfortable.  & believe me I look more presentable in shorts than the guys in the sloppy jeans & T Shirts.  Also, these  sloppy jean guys are not young - they're my age!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So it no longer bothers you what others wear in the MDR?

It never did.  As long as they wear clean clothes and act in a social manner, it makes not one iota to me.  It all came about because the crew member at the door made a comment about what I was wearing while ignoring what the women around me had on which was a pair of pajamas with some sparkles. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mustang$ said:

I feel on Non-Formal Nights in the Caribbean nice shorts are appropriate - you're on vacation why not be comfortable.  & believe me I look more presentable in shorts than the guys in the sloppy jeans & T Shirts. 

I think you answered your own question.

As you state,  wear  whatever you feel appropriate and comfortable in.

Worse case scenario, the Maitre D’ will not allow you in the MDR.  You can then always go back to your stateroom and change.  Or dine at another venue ie. HC, IC, order room service, or a specialty restaurant?.

However you choose to dress,  enjoy your cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

19 hours ago, mustang$ said:

A few weeks back I started this topic - we just returned from 7 nights on the Regal.  With the exception of the 2 Formal Nights & the night that we ate at the Crown Grille I wore nice Dress Shorts (Linen or Micro Fiber) not Cargo Shorts to the Dining Room.

No body said a word - not the Maitre D, not the Head Waiters.  This was a Caribbean Cruise - you want to be comfortable.

& just for reference - I'm an active 70 year old!!f17.thumb.JPG.ecd56fdab67bdfce70be19512323e59f.JPG  

This is how my DH dressed on the CB for all the casual evenings. 

It's great that they let people be comfortable lately. 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2018 at 5:07 AM, MissP22 said:

Because it's their vacation to choose clothing that make them feel comfortable and not dress up to please other people. 

Us women get away with anything in the dining room all the time & the guys have to conform to wearing a Jacket & tie?

That's just not right.

It's about time everyone is given a choice to dress as they feel appropriate for dinner as long as it's not totally rebellious and just because they don't have on a jacket & tie doesn't make it terrible.  

Really,  just leave it up to the passenger to decide what is appropriate??  Don't think so.  Jackets and ties are not required on non formal nights.  Is it too much to ask for guys to put on some dockers and a polo shirt for the MDR? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HleeCruiser said:

Really,  just leave it up to the passenger to decide what is appropriate??  Don't think so.  Jackets and ties are not required on non formal nights.  Is it too much to ask for guys to put on some dockers and a polo shirt for the MDR? 

Yes it is. Since we paid for our vacation we should be able to choose our clothing as long as it clean and presentable. 

I see nothing wrong with a decent pair of shorts? There worn every day at breakfast and lunch, so now they're accepted them at dinner also.

Thank you Princess, my DH appreciates your understanding.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 11:28 PM, Thrak said:

They probably thought that cruise passengers would be adult enough to follow the rules. Staff don't harass passengers about it because the passengers will turn around and bitch to the management about "arrogant" staff and they will then be reprimanded and punished whether it is far or not.

Yep.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2018 at 6:07 AM, MissP22 said:

It's about time everyone is given a choice to dress as they feel appropriate for dinner as long as it's not totally rebellious and just because they don't have on a jacket & tie doesn't make it terrible.  

It is  becoming a race to the bottom. Princess has taken the effort to clearly outline what type of clothing they would prefer people to wear at their dining venues.  It is written in literature on their site, in the patters and sometimes on placards in front of the dining rooms.  To take advantage of the crew's aversion to confrontation just because one can, seems foreign to me. Why on earth would one decide that there is a need to be forced to adhere to what is expected? But then, there are those that believe that the smoking rules, the tender queuing rules, the theater seat saving rules, the pool lounge hogging rules, alcohol restriction rules (IE smuggling), and emergency drill attendance on the ship are for others, not themselves.

It is just the stuff to observe and muse while aboard a ship.

• Like 4

If it is such a race to the bottom why do you participate? By taking cruises and spending money you are telling Princess that you agree with the way they are operating. Yet you complain about it.  Why not support a cruise line that meets your expected standards. Oh wait a minute, could it be they are few and far between? Or could it be they are way more expensive than Princess? Or could it be you just want to be able to tell others that they are at he bottom of your ladder? We may never know.

Besides I have much better things to do than to observeand muse about what others are doing or how a huge corporation runs its business. Is ittime fora beverage yet?

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Like the picture! And thanks for coming back and giving us an update.  

I've seen shorts in both the MDR and the Crown Grill on the Regal for a couple of years now while in the Caribbean.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

Thanks for the picture compliment & yes we did enjoy our cruise.  We are not new to cruising - this was our 37th cruise - 15th with Princess - we've sailed with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean & Norwegian.  e11.thumb.jpg.ad86856da8d47f59a0b706ca96fcca67.jpg 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang$ said:

Thanks for the picture compliment & yes we did enjoy our cruise.  We are not new to cruising - this was our 37th cruise - 15th with Princess - we've sailed with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean & Norwegian.  e11.thumb.jpg.ad86856da8d47f59a0b706ca96fcca67.jpg 

It’s interesting how the Dress Code has been relaxed since my February 2018 Hawaii cruise.

DE4EE939-0D2D-4F07-AAA7-58B513A41AE1_zps

Edited by Kingofcool1947

37 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

It’s interesting how the Dress Code has been relaxed since my February 2018 Hawaii cruise.

DE4EE939-0D2D-4F07-AAA7-58B513A41AE1_zps

A poster on this thread said the Dress Code plaques have been removed from the entrance of the MDR’s.   Is this true?  Since?

I will be sailing on Grand Princess to the Mexican Riviera in January 2019, and will look for the Dress Code plaques, and check the Patters as well.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 hours ago, mustang$ said:

I think you two look great!

Throughout the centuries appropriate attire has changed according to the expectations of the time. I am sure there were those who balked and were shocked when women stopped wearing corsets. Many of our male ancestors wore powdered wigs and those with deep, dark tans were considered field and farm workers and would not have been allowed to dine on the upper levels of a steam ship. 

I recently retired from a large conglomerate that had it's corporate office in NYC. I started my career having to wear power suits and ended it wearing "fashion forward". Nobody in the office, male or female wore suits on a regular basis. Whilst in NYC for meetings we often went out to top restaurants and not once were we required to change into more formal wear and our clothing was always in line with other diners.

IMHO, cruise ship MDRs are a far cry in both food and service from fine restaurants in the USA and abroad. Those who are still insisting on formal wear are clinging to a bygone era that certainly no longer exists at least not on these mega cruise ships. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Those who are still insisting on formal wear are clinging to a bygone era that certainly no longer exists at least not on these mega cruise ships. 

True, but some of us dinosaurs refuse to go extinct!:classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 5:03 AM, MissP22 said:

This is how my DH dressed on the CB for all the casual evenings. 

It's great that they let people be comfortable lately. 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes it is. Since we paid for our vacation we should be able to choose our clothing as long as it clean and presentable. 

I see nothing wrong with a decent pair of shorts? There worn every day at breakfast and lunch, so now they're accepted them at dinner also.

Thank you Princess, my DH appreciates your understanding.  :classic_smile:

awww yes the relaxed & care free life style of the Villages ....

Edited by c-boy

I am trying to understand the idea that men are more comfortable wearing dress shorts instead of slacks such as Dockers.

in getting dressed in either items of clothing,a man puts on the legs, zips the zipper, buttons the waist button and adds a belt. The only

difference I can see is that a pair of shorts has shorter legs than a pair of slacks.

In keeping to a dress code, what is the inconvenience to a man to select a pair of slacks instead of a pair of shorts ?

My DH looks very good in dress shorts, but whenever we go out for dinner in an upscale restaurant either on NY ( Summer) or  Florida (snowbirds)  he wears a nice pair of chinos or trousers.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how dress shorts are more comfortable or easier to wear than slacks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I am trying to understand the idea that men are more comfortable wearing dress shorts instead of slacks such as Dockers.

in getting dressed in either items of clothing,a man puts on the legs, zips the zipper, buttons the waist button and adds a belt. The only

difference I can see is that a pair of shorts has shorter legs than a pair of slacks.

In keeping to a dress code, what is the inconvenience to a man to select a pair of slacks instead of a pair of shorts ?

My DH looks very good in dress shorts, but whenever we go out for dinner in an upscale restaurant either on NY ( Summer) or  Florida (snowbirds)  he wears a nice pair of chinos or trousers.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how dress shorts are more comfortable or easier to wear than slacks.

It's a Florida thing.

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

sorry, but the mdr is not an 'upscale restaurant' - unless you consider red lobster, olive garden, outback, etc as 'upscale'

sorry, but the mdr is not an 'upscale restaurant' - unless you consider red lobster, olive garden, outback, etc as 'upscale'

Edited by mustang$
duplicate

Shorts is a comfort thing as well as a Florida thing - totally agree with recent post that MDR is not fine or gourmet dining but it beats eating at the Buffet.  Here in Florida I can go to Capital Grille, Abe & Louie or basically any other steak house & wear nice shorts & dress shirt - I've never felt out of place. I've reached that stage in life that I just want to be comfortable & enjoy life.1105978104_dnbluetop.thumb.jpg.5f51a403a293edd50ddd2daecab14cf6.jpg 

• Like 1

These dress code threads always bum me out. I was looking forward to my Princess cruise in Jan 2020 because I've done NCL and will be on Carnival (Again) in January 2019. I thought with the more "elegant" dress code it would be a more refined dining experience. I am paying more for this cruise than either of the other lines. I follow the rules and will be dressing according to policy.

I am not sure why people think because they "paid for this trip" they should get whatever they want. You get what you pay for. Part of what you pay for are the policies of the cruise line and you agree to follow them when you check that little box. If you don't want to wear clothing that is in accordance with the dress code, book a cruise with a line that has a dress code you prefer...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1