Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
castle701

Edge Specialty, Blu, and Suite Dining Questions

Recommended Posts

A couple of questions:

  • On our 12/16 cruise there are no more 3 or 4 night Specialty Dining packages left which means we will have to book individual nights. We are all Elite and wondering how to get the 15% Elite dining discount?
  • Can suite guests dine in Blu?
  • Can suite guests make dinner reservations in advance with Concierge for Luminae? We are lowly Sky Suite guests so didnt know if writing in advance for a specific time or certain evenings is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that BLU is for Aqua class only. The last time we were booked in Aqua we ate in BLU once as it wasn't the type of restaurant we enjoy and in the MDR the rest of the time. We are Aqua on our upcoming Alaska cruise so I think we will give it another shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also in a sky suite for the Dec 9th and had similar questions after being underwhelmed

with the posted Luminae menus in the app.

 

Others have noted that Blu has been available on a space available basis for suite guests on other Celebrity ships. Nobody is sure if this will also be a possibility on Edge.

 

Also noted that suite guests could also order from the main dining menus and have served in Luminae. Luminae is not located anywhere near the main dining rooms on Edge so it doesn’t seem possible that they could continue to offer this. I has sent Celebrity an email asking if Luminae would have everyday menu items since none are shown on the posted menus. Almost 2 weeks now and no answer.

 

I know they will just credit you the 15% if you book a speciality on the ship. Expect they will credit it onboard if you book online. Not sure if you book a specialty in advance with onboard credit if you would receive the 15% onboard. We booked two with onboard credit.

 

Others have also noted that shoreside concierge doesn’t contact sky suite passengers in advance. Only the upper suites are contacted. Not sure if we can email in advance.

 

We can certainly see ourselves wanting to go to Blu or the main dining room some nights if the Luminae menu is as small as shown if they allow. Would be nice if Celebrity would provide more info on suite dining/options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard from a corporate pre-cruise person that Edge suite guests will be able to dine in Blu and the 4 MDRs, if space is available.

 

We have spoken to the Luminae Host about dining at a particular time. It is different on each ship likely, but I've found they haven't made a definite reservation, but if we had a time in mind and went to Michael's Club (obviously the Retreat Lounge on the Edge) a little early for a cocktail, they would call the concierge as soon as our table was ready. That worked out very well.

 

Others on CC have reported getting a reservation but I can't remember the circumstances. Either way, we've rarely waited, though this is a new ship with 176 suites so time will tell. :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe more   info  about dining policies will be forthcoming as soon as the first EDGE cruisers report back.

 

Very disappointed to hear that suite guests will still use BLU..  The space available approach is very fluid and has  not worked very well . At peak times,  AQ guests report sitting with beepers yet suite guests are  being seated in BLU.  We dine early so hope  to avoid beepers in January.  A beeper is more Outback than  Modern Luxury!

 

I was hoping suite guests would be  asked to use Luminae rather than BLU,   so AQ guests can enjoy BLU. There is no reciprocity for them in Luminae and  they are also paying a premium fare  ( not quite as high as suite fare) for AQ and  access to BLU.

 

BLU  on EDGE seems like it could be easily overwhelmed for dinner service,  as it must now handle more cabins than originally planned. These  were converted from Concierge Class even after they had been sold as CC.  And now there are many more suites on EDGE to also compete for seats in BLU

 

 Suite guests were  permitted to access BLU and other specialty venues for no fee at a point when  Luminae was not fully operational, so suite guests were bring accomodated with more choices. (But now they have their own beautiful  gourmet restaurant!)

 

 This did cause issues  on Reflection, when certain Suite concierges lined up their guests in Michael's Club, and brought them into BLU ahead of waiting AQ guests  It did not last long but threw BLU off course  while it lasted.

 

Guess we'll find out soon! We love BLU but not when it is overcrowded or understaffed! 

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hcat said:

I believe  info  abput dining policies will be forthcoming as soon as the first EDGE cruisers report back. I am hoping suite guests are asked to use Luminae so AQ guests can enjoy BLU as long there is no reciprocity for them in Luminae

 

BLU  on EDGE seems like it could be easily overwhelmed for dinner service,   as it must now handle more cabins than originally planned. These  were converted from Concierge Class even after they had been sold as CC.  

 

 Suite guests were  permitted to access BLU and other specialty venues for no fee at a point when  Luminae was not fully operational, so suite guests were bring accomodated with more choices. 

 

 This did cause issues  on Reflection, when certain Suite concierges lined up their guests in Michael's Club, and brought them into BLU ahead of waiting AQ guests  It did not last long but threw BLU off course  while it lasted.

 

Guess we'll find out soon! We love BLU but not when it is overcrowded or understaffed!

Since Luminae opened, we have only dined in Blu a couple of times for dinner and breakfast when in a suite - it was when we dined with friends who were in AQ.  I agree that if it turns out to be busy, they should make sure their AQ guests are the priority. We will have to see how things flow on the Edge. I can see Luminae getting crowded too, but hopefully with all of the other options onboard it will all work out.

 

I won't have time to dine in Blu this fall unless I get assigned there for my UW cruise, but hope to have breakfast there once in Jan to try it out, as we may book AQ next time.  I also want to try Normandie, but will see how things flow. With 4 MDRs, it may take some time to sort out matching requests to seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I have heard from a corporate pre-cruise person that Edge suite guests will be able to dine in Blu and the 4 MDRs, if space is available.

 

We have spoken to the Luminae Host about dining at a particular time. It is different on each ship likely, but I've found they haven't made a definite reservation, but if we had a time in mind and went to Michael's Club (obviously the Retreat Lounge on the Edge) a little early for a cocktail, they would call the concierge as soon as our table was ready. That worked out very well.

 

Others on CC have reported getting a reservation but I can't remember the circumstances. Either way, we've rarely waited, though this is a new ship with 176 suites so time will tell. :classic_smile:

Thanks for the info VT! 

 

Any my idea on how they figure out if space is available. Would the concierge or Luminae Maitre’d have to call the specific main dining Maitre’d or Blu Maitre’d to check on space when you want to eat? Assuming would need to coordinate it with them rather than just show up at an alternate. Would expect that many would like to try the different main dining rooms even if in a suite although some may stay in Luminae if the menus are decent.

 

Did corporate provide any info on additional everyday items on the Luminae menu since they don’t want to answer my question or if they will offer anything from the MDR?

 

There need to be more things than posted since I can’t believe you can’t get a salad at night since none are shown.  Blu menus seem much more extensive than Luminae including everyday and salad options. 

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, omarchs said:

Thanks for the info VT! 

 

Any my idea on how they figure out if space is available. Would the concierge or Luminae Maitre’d have to call the specific main dining Maitre’d or Blu Maitre’d to check on space when you want to eat? Assuming would need to coordinate it with them rather than just show up at an alternate. Would expect that many would like to try the different main dining rooms even if in a suite although some may stay in Luminae if the menus are decent.

 

Did corporate provide any info on additional everyday items on the Luminae menu since they don’t want to answer my question or if they will offer anything from the MDR?

 

There need to be more things than posted since I can’t believe you can’t get a salad at night since none are shown.  Blu menus seem much more extensive than Luminae including everyday and salad options. 

 

Thanks!

I have given up getting real info from people on the phone. I have known things that X people on the phone didn't know yet. I also think since some things are probably being figured out now with the people onboard (ie., Edge chef and F&B person may want input on the Luminae everyday items question) and some things have changed over time. Anyway, I will be onboard in 18 days so will interview the Luminae people about whether we can get MDR stuff or at least if there will be an everyday menu. I really think that there will be - so many people order off menu and they will want to make people happy  (with the prices they are paying for suites). :classic_smile:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sample menu from Luminae on the Edge site certainly looks like just a sample - not the complete menu. Too many normal options are missing. On a selfish note, since we're in Aqua this cruise and enjoy blu, I would hate to have to use a pager to wait for a seat because the lack of choice in Luminae causes an overflow of Suite guests into "our" restaurant. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, twodjs said:

That sample menu from Luminae on the Edge site certainly looks like just a sample - not the complete menu. Too many normal options are missing. On a selfish note, since we're in Aqua this cruise and enjoy blu, I would hate to have to use a pager to wait for a seat because the lack of choice in Luminae causes an overflow of Suite guests into "our" restaurant. 😉

 

That was my point...hopefully they know the issues,  and have the best staff on board.   We have been in AQ with BLU since inception.  Mostly handled well but sometimes not.  No beepers please!

 

Looking forward to the non AQ dining plan in Nov with out Sunset Veranda,  and  hoping for a suite after that...so we can try Luminae and enjoy the Retreat..

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in a Royal Suite for one of the 3 day previews and were in touch with the suites concierge about a month ago. We have relatives in 3 Sky Suites and wanted a reservation for 8 people in Luminae since I assume a bigger table like that might be challenging. While the concierge was extreeemely nice, basically she said Luminae was on a first-come, first-serve basis but “not to worry”. Okay. I made my own specialty reservations early on but did ask her if we could get the semi-private room at Fine Cut - we are celebrating a Big Birthday that night - and concierge is still unsure (today) if it can be pre-reserved though she’s been in touch with “the dining team”. Again, extreeeeemely nice but not particularly helpful.  Our bar setup is underway however! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DachshundsRule said:

We are in a Royal Suite for one of the 3 day previews and were in touch with the suites concierge about a month ago. We have relatives in 3 Sky Suites and wanted a reservation for 8 people in Luminae since I assume a bigger table like that might be challenging. While the concierge was extreeemely nice, basically she said Luminae was on a first-come, first-serve basis but “not to worry”. Okay. I made my own specialty reservations early on but did ask her if we could get the semi-private room at Fine Cut - we are celebrating a Big Birthday that night - and concierge is still unsure (today) if it can be pre-reserved though she’s been in touch with “the dining team”. Again, extreeeeemely nice but not particularly helpful.  Our bar setup is underway however! 

 

That’s an odd response from the concierge. The answer for both of your dining requests should have been “I’ll be glad to advise the ship and arrange this for you!” followed by requesting the stateroom or booking numbers for all of your group, and making it happen. That’s why there is a suite concierge, and some of them are better than others.  

 

I’ve seen family groups of eight in Luminae, no problem. Speak to the on-board suite concierge or Luminae manager as soon as you get on board. Another option - if you belong to Captain’s Club, ask them to send your requests to the ship.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She’s a “shoreside” concierge and since the ship/staff is new, maybe that is the reason? We were a little surprised but it’s only 3 days and we’re a pretty self-sufficient group! I doubt we’ll starve... or be thirsty! Sooooo looking forward to it!

Edited by DachshundsRule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DachshundsRule said:

She’s a “shoreside” concierge and since the ship/staff is new, maybe that is the reason? We were a little surprised but it’s only 3 days and we’re a pretty self-sufficient group! I doubt we’ll starve... or be thirsty! Sooooo looking forward to it!

Yes, thank goodness the bar set up is underway. :classic_wink:  My guess is that it is because it is a new ship and she doesn't have any history to go by and likely doesn't have her usual contacts to make sure things will be as promised. I would rather they didn't promise something that then didn't happen onboard. I'll bet that after a few cruises, things will smooth out - likely one of the joys of being on one of the first cruises.

 

My only other recommendation would be to email celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com. The Pre Cruise Corporate Guest Relations Team has some good people who have called me back fairly quickly and sometimes can answer my questions. It might be worth a shot to get someone else working on getting the "Jewel Box" in FCSH for the big bday event. Hope you are able to book it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have I read correctly that Fine Cut Steak House has a private dining area?

 

If so, what is the seated capacity of the area?

 

TIA and bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the rendition:

image.png.919c06a6ad195d24e614c69e4870bd7d.png

 

What has been labeled as the real space on a post on social media shows more seats, but it is different in layout than the rendition - it doesn't look finished though so maybe need to add wine racks (but why is the table set so nicely if it isn't done?):

image.png.c29a13d4c2ed68521f9fe1b1882591b0.png

 

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here's the rendition:

image.png.919c06a6ad195d24e614c69e4870bd7d.png

 

What has been labeled as the real space on a post on social media shows more seats, but it is different in layout than the rendition - it doesn't look finished though so maybe need to add wine racks (but why is the table set so nicely if it isn't done?):

image.png.c29a13d4c2ed68521f9fe1b1882591b0.png

 

 

v - Thank you for this.

 

We will need 22 seats for the group and this will work, for sure...

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

 

v - Thank you for this.

 

We will need 22 seats for the group and this will work, for sure...

 

bon voyage

Hopefully that second picture is really the "Jewel Box", as it is called. :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Littlegov said:

Do we do this before we sail?

to get a reservation in Lumane? 

 

Passengers in suites are automatically assigned to the Luminae restaurant, and usually they just arrive during the serving hours, stop at the podium, and are seated with minimal, if any, waiting time. No reservation needed, and the restaurant manager very early on gets to know about their preferences.

 

But the shore-side concierge can help the Luminae restaurant manager as well as the passengers by providing advance info. One example is a table for eight required by the person who posted that they are in a Royal Suite traveling with people in three other suites. Most of the tables in that restaurant are pre-set for two or four. Sure, tables can be easily moved and combined to create an eight-top, but it could be awkward or require a wait if the dining room is already mostly full and the staff then has to do do some re-arranging. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Here's the rendition:

image.png.919c06a6ad195d24e614c69e4870bd7d.png

 

What has been labeled as the real space on a post on social media shows more seats, but it is different in layout than the rendition - it doesn't look finished though so maybe need to add wine racks (but why is the table set so nicely if it isn't done?):

image.png.c29a13d4c2ed68521f9fe1b1882591b0.png

 

 

First version is  much more appealing to be..second one is dark, reminds me of  a board room!  More gor a meeting than dining..just my tadte!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 1:57 PM, hcat said:

I believe more   info  about dining policies will be forthcoming as soon as the first EDGE cruisers report back.

 

Very disappointed to hear that suite guests will still use BLU..  The space available approach is very fluid and has  not worked very well . At peak times,  AQ guests report sitting with beepers yet suite guests are  being seated in BLU.  We dine early so hope  to avoid beepers in January.  A beeper is more Outback than  Modern Luxury!

 

I was hoping suite guests would be  asked to use Luminae rather than BLU,   so AQ guests can enjoy BLU. There is no reciprocity for them in Luminae and  they are also paying a premium fare  ( not quite as high as suite fare) for AQ and  access to BLU.

 

BLU  on EDGE seems like it could be easily overwhelmed for dinner service,  as it must now handle more cabins than originally planned. These  were converted from Concierge Class even after they had been sold as CC.  And now there are many more suites on EDGE to also compete for seats in BLU

 

 Suite guests were  permitted to access BLU and other specialty venues for no fee at a point when  Luminae was not fully operational, so suite guests were bring accomodated with more choices. (But now they have their own beautiful  gourmet restaurant!)

 

 This did cause issues  on Reflection, when certain Suite concierges lined up their guests in Michael's Club, and brought them into BLU ahead of waiting AQ guests  It did not last long but threw BLU off course  while it lasted.

 

Guess we'll find out soon! We love BLU but not when it is overcrowded or understaffed! 

 

hcat,

I understand your concern about crowding at certain times for dinner in Blu.  Here are my thoughts on it.  In reading other threads about Blu on other X ships, it seems that very few suite guests contribute to the overcrowding.  It is mostly the Aqua guests which are too numerous for the limited space in Blu at peak times.  On the other hand the Premium suite guests get free specialty dining and Luminae so are not likely to make a run on Blu.  Other suite guests seem pretty happy with Luminae and also many pay for a specialty dining experience too.  That will be even more likely with the numerous choices on Edge.  For me I usually sail suites and I have a CS booked on Edge.  I have never in all my cruises on X ever had dinner in Blu.  For my upcoming Edge cruise I am really struggling with how many Specialty Restaurants I want to try vs.  Luminae at the Retreat in just 7 days!.  I am also very curious about the 4 MDR's which are intriguing. I need a month on Edge!  Blu does not enter the equation at all for me.  My thoughts- not representing all suite passengers here but maybe others have similar thoughts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

 

I agree that many suite guests may never come to BLU esp now that Luminae is functioning well..but there are many  others who are curious about BLU,  some actually prefer it,  or some  may just want variety....

 

For whatever reason  they do  dine there and that does add to the numbers. We are hoping BLU has adequate staff and sommeliers to handle the demand, snd a good plan in place to keep us all happy. Will report back in Jan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...