2nd Alaska Cruise

Ladyaruba

Did our first ever land/sea trip in June to Alaska onthe Noordam. 

We want to do another in June of 2020 but without the land portion.

We won’t mind  doing some of the same ports(Juneau & Ketchikan) but would like some others also.

We would also like a little bit bigger ship with a little more to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

We had a great time on the Eurodam earlier this year. It was 7 nights, round trip from Seattle. We went to Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. There was a quick stop the last night in Victoria, BC. I'd say that the highlight for me was the day we spent cruising in Glacier Bay. The Eurodam was a fantastic ship, lots of music venues and we enjoyed the shows we attended. The Ruby Princess was with us in most ports and left from Seattle the same day. It is definitely larger than the Eurodam. If I was looking to go again, I think I might also check out the Norwegian Bliss or Joy. There should be some reviews of the Bliss, as it  did Alaska itineraries this past Summer.  

Been to Alaska 4 times with NCL over the years and are going again in May 2019 for the first time with HAL. We will be on th Eurodam out of Seattle with Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka for Alaskan port stops, a day in Glacier Bay, and a brief stop in Victoria. 

NCL does similar routes out of Seattle (no Sitka, Skagway instead) and either Glacier Bay or the Tracy Arm with their mega ships. They also do one way runs between Vancouver and Seward with a midsized ship from the Jewell class. 

By 2020 I believe there will be other mega ships operating in the Alaska market if you really want to go big. 

I did the itinerary (called the Great Alaskan Explorer) that KK mentioned, last summer on the Zaandam. The year before and next year Zaandam's sister the Amsterdam has that run. It's a great itinerary, but those ships are smaller not larger than the Noordam. 

• Like 1

We've done AK several times.  While the Inside Passage and the Cruise Tours are nice, the 14 day listed above is THE cruise to take.  I hope to do it again, and again..........It's the perfect blend of tourist and adventure, ports and sea days. 

We did it in a cheap inside room, ate in the Lido every night, spent big bucks on shore excursions, and never had a more relaxing, enjoyable cruise.  We went the last week of August.  It would have been better to do the cruise before that one because the wildlife, while fabulous on our cruise, would have been even better.  Mid-July to mid-August is prime.

• Like 2

We did the 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam twice.  

It is true that the smaller ships do get closer to the glaciers than the larger ones.

Many years ago we were on either the Ryndam or Statendam and were very close to Hubbard glacier when a large calving happened.  We were out on our verandah when the captain made the announcement that there was going to be a large roll of the ship from the wave action of the calving.  I quickly sat down.  The ranger said that the calving was the largest one we had ever seen or felt.  We did roll.