Tricare coverage on cruise??

jstrutton

We are booked on a TA cruise in March 2019 and looking at insurance options.  Not sure whether I need it because of the following:

1.  Paying for the entire cruise with our Costco Visa card which has some travel insurance in the event we have to cancel for illness, etc prior to cruise.

2.  Once on the ship, I'll have Tricare Select (the old Standard).  Granted I may have to pay upfront but can file a claim once I get back off the cruise for medical treatment on the ship if needed. 

3.  Also, once at our destination in Europe, then I can still use same process as #2

4.  In addition, we have a Tricare supplement policy, for anything that Tricare doesn't cover i.e Tricare only covers 75% so our supplement covers the remaining 25%).

Opinions?  Just trying to figure out whether we actually need the additional travel insurance.  Granted it isn't a huge amount, but less I pay for insurance is more for us to spend on board. 

Thanks in advance.

Jay

I use to know, but those changes for 2019 tossed much of what I knew into the air!

Do you use a credit card  to charge your cruise? Some of the credit cards have some really good medical benefits attached to them .  For example, I have a patient whose elderly mother had traveled here from Venezuela to visit her and while here discovered she had cancer - American Express covered her cancer treatments at a very high-level center in Texas  (MD Anderson). They would otherwise have been in a very dire situation, but Amex covered most or all of the associated costs. We use Chase Sapphire because of the various benefits, but the Amex travel cards and others offer some insurance and most travel cards have medical benefits. Just a thought!  Happy sailing 🙂

Lynn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, jstrutton said:

We are booked on a TA cruise in March 2019 and looking at insurance options.  Not sure whether I need it because of the following:

1.  Paying for the entire cruise with our Costco Visa card which has some travel insurance in the event we have to cancel for illness, etc prior to cruise.

2.  Once on the ship, I'll have Tricare Select (the old Standard).  Granted I may have to pay upfront but can file a claim once I get back off the cruise for medical treatment on the ship if needed. 

3.  Also, once at our destination in Europe, then I can still use same process as #2

4.  In addition, we have a Tricare supplement policy, for anything that Tricare doesn't cover i.e Tricare only covers 75% so our supplement covers the remaining 25%).

Opinions?  Just trying to figure out whether we actually need the additional travel insurance.  Granted it isn't a huge amount, but less I pay for insurance is more for us to spend on board. 

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Jay, you are correct in all of the above.  I might suggest a good Travel Credit Card as most have evac benefits if required.

• 1 month later...

I suggest purchasing the travel insurance for the cruise as well, for extra peace of mind.  Keep in mind that you may have to pay upfront cost for medical services onboard. We recently cruised to Southern Caribbean...had to pay the onboard cost of nearly $2K for medical treatment, plus cost for ambulance, prescripts and ER services in port for another $1K upfront.  The cruise ship will cover emergency travel back...up to $30K I think...however for the rest have to file claim with TRICARE insurance then cruise insurance will cover balance that is not covered by TRICARE...Also we were told that medical treatment onboard not covered by cruise insurance...only covers from the point you have to leave the ship. I don’t think many know this..so I’m sharing so you can verify with your cruise line. Was able to be released and continue on with my cruise...was told this is rare though.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad I found this board! Dh and I are cruising in Europe this summer. He has medicare/Tricare for life. I have Tricare. I understand that Medicare won't pay for any care overseas and I've read the Tricare website so I "think" I understand what they will/won't pay. Does anyone have advice or recommendations for insurance that would cover a medical evacuation, if necessary (and not one associated with a credit card account). Thanks for your help and advice!

I have Tri Care Prime. Had an infection from a cut in Grand Cayman in 2017. Went to the doctor and contacted the international desk that gave permissions for multiply visits. Had a visit each day for 5 days. Had to pay upfront with a credit card and submit once back in the states. They covered all expenses including meds and bandages etc needed from pharmacy.

The other was on a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean in 2018. Had to see the ships doctor. Tri Care covered all expenses. But had to pay with CC up front first and submit once back in the states. It was paid in full.

On both of these I kept very accurate records with receipts.

Have other insurance in case I have to be airlifted back to the states.

• Like 1

You might want to consider GeoBlue.  It would be overkill for medical considering your tricare and supplement but it would also provide evacuation coverage.  It can be purchased for a trip or multiple trips up to a year.  I believe my one year (self and wife) was around $200.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I have TRICARE For Life and Medicare.  Medicare won't pay anything if you are outside the continental US or its territories.  Therefor TRICARE is the only insurer.  In the states I pay nothing for almost any imagined medical treatment or hospital stay. However overseas I will need to satisfy a $150/$300 deductible and pay a 25% copay for most treatment.  If appropriate, air evacuation is covered by TRICARE to "the closest, safest place" to receive the care needed. (Not to the U.S. in many cases.) Again I would likely pay 25% of a huge air evacuation bill.  The one saving grace is there is a $3,000 catastrophic cap each year. It applies to all TRICARE recipients, including those traveling or living overseas .  The most I would be forced to pay is $3,000 out of pocket.  (Although I might need to put sums greater than that on a credit card or cards.) We are planning an 87 day cruise to South America and the South Pacific this fall.  Still not convinced I shouldn't be buying travel insurance but will at least look for the cheapest route given these other factors. Like others it would be a peace of mind thing more than a practical consideration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Double D Cruisers, that was good information! 

We also have Tricare for Life and Medicare, going on a 58 day cruise around South America in January, and my down payment for the cruise was last July, so I missed the deadline for the waiver for pre-existing medical conditions.

Without the waiver (as I understand it)  air evacuation  or medical treatment would not be covered for any of the pre-existing medical conditions on their long list (which included high blood pressure).

I had not even thought about Tricare for Live and the catastrophic cap, and I will definitely check more detailed in that.

And I think that getting extra travel insurance, although more on the minimal side, is still a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am military retired and have Medicare And Tri-Care for Life.

I got sick on board a cruise once with clogged ears and a sore throat.. Went to the doctor on board and had my ears drained and got some antibiotics for the soar throat.  Had to pay all cost on board and received all the paperwork from the on board infirmary.

When I got home I notified the cruise insurance company.  They told me I had to submit paperwork to Medicare and Tri-care for Life first.  When I submitted the paperwork, Medicare and Tri-Care for Life both disallowed the claim because the ship I was on was not registered in the US.  I then had to send both disallowed claims and on board paperwork to the cruise insurance company that finally paid the claim.

• Thanks 1

"famski740", that is interesting info. 

As you had cruise insurance on your own, it sounds right for Tricare not to pay as they would be the last payer.

I just wondered if you could have claimed it with Tricare (not Tricare for Life) if you would not have any other cruise insurance at all.

When I called Tricare for Life, I was told that "Tricare" would kick in, and  they did send me a booklet "Tricare overseas program". They also more or less confirmed "Double D Cruisers" info.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First, I realize I'm replying to an old thread. Secondly, I'm not military, but I do work in healthcare. I've seen some strange things with Tricare. For a vacation/cruise, I think I'd still suggest, as others have, getting a travel policy. If you went through Costco Travel, they basically acted as your "travel agent," and it's probably a good idea to call them to see what all the benefits are, and get them (as always) in writing. Finally, while searching for a policy for my own trip, I found this "clearing house" of travel insurance, which you can compare "apples to apples." https://www.squaremouth.com  I ended up getting a pretty amazing policy for about $30 for a week's cruise. Emergency medical (as secondary to my employer insurance) up to $30,000, but the kicker--$400,000 for medical evacuation/repatriation. there were other incidental benefits thrown in like travel delay, baggage delay/loss, flight AD&D. Considering I paid a lot more than $30 for a drink pass on the ship, this was a no-brainer.  squaremouth dot com

Edited by hennpaul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2019 at 4:07 PM, Double D Cruisers said:

I have TRICARE For Life and Medicare.  Medicare won't pay anything if you are outside the continental US or its territories.  Therefor TRICARE is the only insurer.  In the states I pay nothing for almost any imagined medical treatment or hospital stay. However overseas I will need to satisfy a $150/$300 deductible and pay a 25% copay for most treatment.  If appropriate, air evacuation is covered by TRICARE to "the closest, safest place" to receive the care needed. (Not to the U.S. in many cases.) Again I would likely pay 25% of a huge air evacuation bill.  The one saving grace is there is a $3,000 catastrophic cap each year. It applies to all TRICARE recipients, including those traveling or living overseas .  The most I would be forced to pay is $3,000 out of pocket.  (Although I might need to put sums greater than that on a credit card or cards.) We are planning an 87 day cruise to South America and the South Pacific this fall.  Still not convinced I shouldn't be buying travel insurance but will at least look for the cheapest route given these other factors. Like others it would be a peace of mind thing more than a practical consideration.

Hi there! I realize you posted this in April and it is now November.  Just want to make sure I understand our Insurances before we cruise thru the Panama Canal.  We have Medicare and Tricare for Life.  Lots of folks are not relyling on TFL to cover a medical evac.  Saying they could deny the claim.  That would be catastrophic for us money wise in the long run but charging it not so bad.  Just wondering what you think? I have been told both ways get one or do not.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a very interesting thread. I will keep up to see if anyone else has any more feedback.  I will say that we are going on a short cruise in December and I purchased additional trip insurance.  If you have USAA, take a look at what they offer.  You may find that their rates are pretty good. To take out the insurance for our week's trip, they came in significantly less inexpensive than any other option I have used in the past.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have medicare and TRICARE for Life.  In the past I have always bought extra insurance.  However, if you are in the 80s insurance  becomes very expensive.  Looked into what tri care would cover if I became ill in Europe.  You can get some care at a military facility if close by...but med evac home is another issue.   .

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, cgram434 said:

I have medicare and TRICARE for Life.  In the past I have always bought extra insurance.  However, if you are in the 80s insurance  becomes very expensive.  Looked into what tri care would cover if I became ill in Europe.  You can get some care at a military facility if close by...but med evac home is another issue.   .

However, if you are a military retiree, there is the possibility of getting on a Space A flight.  There may be other options for a Medivac flight back to the states.  They do occur throughout the world.  One source of info would be  the local US Consulate for specifics and questions.

A major hospital is located in Landstuhl, Germany  at Ramstein, AFB. All medical evacuees from Europe ( at least in the past) are flown back to the US from there.

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2019 at 2:14 PM, legaljen1969 said:

This was a very interesting thread. I will keep up to see if anyone else has any more feedback.  I will say that we are going on a short cruise in December and I purchased additional trip insurance.  If you have USAA, take a look at what they offer.  You may find that their rates are pretty good. To take out the insurance for our week's trip, they came in significantly less inexpensive than any other option I have used in the past.  

I always buy travel insurance through USAA (their partner) for our cruises. My father is 96 and if I don’t have insurance, something is bound to happen. The price is reasonable with good coverage. Luckily I’ve never had to use it - knock on wood. Use the link from the USAA website. It’s better coverage and cheaper than what the cruise lines offer.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

You may want to check out this information with your cruise line.  But, I've been told that, at least with Royal Caribbean, if you receive medical services while on the ship, the medical bill must be paid before the final debarkation.  And many hospitals/medical facilities in foreign countries will require payment before discharge, even with trip insurance.  So, one thing to think about is that you might want to take a credit card along that has no or very low balance to cover the out of pocket fees that you may have to pay.  Yes, it's likely that TRICARE will reimburse you for your fees paid.  But, YOU take the initial hit.  If your travel insurance has a good concierge and you or someone from your party communicates with him/her, they may help you negotiate payment from the insurance company, not out of pocket/C.C.  Or, better yet, discuss this with your travel insurance company before purchasing their product(s), that includes TRICARE.  TRICARE MAY have hospitals in foreign countries that are approved for direct payment from TRICARE, but I'm not sure about that.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Tricare For LIfe and Medicare.  On a 7-night cruise out of Miami on RCL Oasis of the Seas in December, I fell (while in Philipsburg, St Maarten) and fractured my wrist.  Long story short, I didn't want to go to the ER on St Maarten, so got back on the ship and went to the Medical Center the next morning (after icing, ibuprofen, and no improvement).  I had purchased Travel Insurance through Travelex, and since it was the primary payer, I didn't even bother with Medicare or TFL; just paid the (actually very reasonable) charge of $560 via my credit card, and then put in for reimbursement, which was done very quickly through their Travelon app.  My recommendation?  Pick up travel insurance but make sure it's primary rather than secondary.

• Like 2

A few years my wife and I booked a long cruise, Dover to Rome around Africa on the Ocean Princess.  About ten days before we left she fell and broke her arm.  We went anyway, and she went to the ship's medical department somewhere off the coast of Africa had them remove the cast and x-ray it.  We paid the bill before we left the ship and stopped at the TriCare office at the Bremerton Naval Hospital with the receipts.  Filled in some forms and they reimbursed us for the charges.

• Like 3