First time cruising with a smartphone... help?

RMLincoln

23 hours ago, dchip said:

I just sent this on my iPad. Airplane mode is on, wifi is off. Email is in Outbox until wifi is enabled. 

Cheers, Denise 

20290D48-5089-4982-BF96-16F6D026296C.jpeg

Hmmm...I don't have an "Outbox"... only "Draft" and "Sent". You must have a different (or updated) browser.

13 minutes ago, PSR said:

Hmmm...I don't have an "Outbox"... only "Draft" and "Sent". You must have a different (or updated) browser.

The Outbox only shows after you have written an email in airplane mode. :classic_biggrin: Otherwise you just have Draft and Sent. Try it. 

Cheers, Denise

22 minutes ago, dchip said:

The Outbox only shows after you have written an email in airplane mode. :classic_biggrin: Otherwise you just have Draft and Sent. Try it. 

Cheers, Denise

Well, I tried it and no "outbox"...I did notice something new called "Archive", but nothing in it. I did get a tiny message at the bottom of my mailbox list saying I have an update: "1 unsent message", but tapping "Details" only tells me that I am not connected to the internet.:classic_unsure:

Well, now guess what happened! I decided to one more scan of my Mailbox choices and suddenly I have an "Outbox" with my email in it!!! It took about 10 minutes to show up, though! Thanks Denise and igraf and Vict0riann!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, PSR said:

Thank you for the information. I tried it on my desktop first, but since it doesn't have an"airport mode" I turned off my wi-fi home signal. I couldn't follow your directions since I got a "technical error" from my browser (Safari) when I tried to send it.

I tried it on my iPad and the message didn't go to my "draft" folder, but DID disappear. When I turned off the airplane mode on my iPad, the message DID appear as "sent", so that worked, however I hoped it would appear somewhere (like in "draft" as you described) so I could check it once again before sending for the final time.

Appreciate your help! Penny:classic_smile:

It won't work with a web browser.  You need to use a standalone email software application like Microsoft Outlook for Windows or in your case "Mail" on your iPad.

igraf

2 hours ago, igraf said:

It won't work with a web browser.  You need to use a standalone email software application like Microsoft Outlook for Windows or in your case "Mail" on your iPad.

igraf

Thanks! I did get it to work on my iPad and iPod, too..please see my post #28 above yours. :classic_smile:

Edited by PSR

If you are going to use your carriers plans while in port, make sure you keep the phone in airplane mode while on the ship. Especially if you turned on data roaming to take advantage of your carrier travel plan. Otherwise you might get a nasty surprise when sailing between ports.

The ships now mostly have a local "Cellular at Sea" service that gets turned on anytime the ship is far enough away from the land based cell towers. It used to be just voice, so not a big deal, but now they magically support text and data as well. So your phone might silently connect and transfer a bunch of data. Which means you might be billed at really high rates without any real warning.

With Verizon (my carrier) and maybe others, you have coverage in all US territories (no roaming no additional fees) so Puerto Rico and USVI are covered areas with our plan.  As mentioned above, Verizon also has a feature for $10/24 hours to use your phone while in foreign lands (not at sea) you can set up this feature to work by texting Verizon once and every time you go outside the country and use your phone you are charged the $10/24 hours (in approximately 150 countries).  

On 11/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, SailawayWI said:

With Verizon (my carrier) and maybe others, you have coverage in all US territories (no roaming no additional fees) so Puerto Rico and USVI are covered areas with our plan.  As mentioned above, Verizon also has a feature for $10/24 hours to use your phone while in foreign lands (not at sea) you can set up this feature to work by texting Verizon once and every time you go outside the country and use your phone you are charged the $10/24 hours (in approximately 150 countries).  

That assumes that one's Verizon (or Sprint) phone is compatible with global GSM bands.  Older CDMA-only phones will not work. 

igraf

• 9 months later...

I have enjoyed Verizon's Travel Pass plan/ $10 per 24 hours for each port.  If I don't use my phone, I don't get charged.  If I do, the phone works just like I am in the United States and makes great calls and downloads emails, etc.  Seems like a good deal to me if you want to keep up with what's going on at home while you are away.  We are a family that likes to keep in touch even when on vacation.  Some don't want to be in touch with anyone while on vacation.  I say do what makes YOU happy and don't worry about those who criticize you for staying in touch.  At least, that's what we do even though it adds some cost to the trip!  Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by CruisinNana
spelling error

I have Verizon and have used their Travel Pass.  It is usually $10/day.  You are only charged if you use it and it is good for 24 hours.  So if you text or call only 1 day during your trip you get charged $10. Verizon sends you messages to keep you informed, so no surprise.  I just used the Verizon app on my phone to sign up.  You only have to signup once. Now every time I cross the border into Canada or any other country, I get a message about Travel Pass.