Sol y Mar

c-leg5

Hoping to try Sol y Mar in December and looking for recent reviews.

We usually book private driver, or direct with location but Royal are advertising “an adult only” section. I was wondering if anyone had been and could comment on whether this is available to anyone or is it a cruuse ship reserved area?

Edited by c-leg5

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, lgonquin said:

I am wondering the same. 

Bumping this to the top in hopes of getting some info.

I wrote direct and was told anyone could use this section. We are going soon and will try and remember to report back. We booked through cruise line in the end since it was cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 11:03 PM, lgonquin said:

Look forward to hearing your perspective. 

Dont forget about us when you get back. 

Happy and safe travels!

We recently returned from our cruise and wanted to give quick update on Sol y Mar since there weren’t many reviews when i was looking.

We decided to book through the cruise line, (unusual for us) since it was the least expensive option for two people. We ended taking the transport-only option and then did PAYG, instead of the AI or the adult-only section which included drinks.

Transport was fine -  it is a relatively short trip from the pier at Coxen Hole. There was a driver and a “guide” for our bus group. There were a number of buses going to the same location due to the different packages. On arrival our group was allocated a “server” and an area of the beach. The resort is large and didn't feel overcrowded. I am not one who likes to be “herded” in a group but after an initial feeling of unease it really turned out to be OK! The server worked very hard and service was good.

The sea was fine for swimming in. There were a lot of broken shells and I preferred to wear water shoes but then I usually do, I am sure most people didn’t bother! There were plenty of add-on activities available, snorkeling, blow-up swans for little ones or families , kayaks, flyboard, paddle boards, massage but we just relaxed. There was loud music but it didn’t bother us and every hour or so they had a group dance session for those that wanted to but no pressure. We enjoyed the fact there were no vendors and we were able to read in peace.  

I have read reports of flies but i sprayed (as I always do on Roatan) and had no problems. The biggest negative for me, was the lack of personal shade. Our section had no palapas or umbrellas. My lounger was initially in the shade of a “young” palm tree and we moved as the sun moved but eventually there was no protection and I became uncomfortable. I took a walk around the resort and found most of the eating areas were shaded but all seats were taken. Eventually we dragged the loungers back a considerable distance, but still with a view of the ocean to an area that was much more shaded and noticeably cooler. It took a while for our server to find us, now we were outside “our area” but it was fine once we caught his attention. I think as the resort matures this may be less of a problem. I still wish that umbrellas were available but I would move sooner next time - my husband was fine but i don't do well without shade.

Overall i thought it was good value for the money, vendor-free, convenient location close to port. Any specific questions I will try to answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We recently returned from our cruise and wanted to give quick update on Sol y Mar since there weren’t many reviews when i was looking.

We decided to book through the cruise line, (unusual for us) since it was the least expensive option for two people. We ended taking the transport-only option and then did PAYG, instead of the AI or the adult-only section which included drinks.

Transport was fine -  it is a relatively short trip from the pier at Coxen Hole. There was a driver and a “guide” for our bus group. There were a number of buses going to the same location due to the different packages. On arrival our group was allocated a “server” and an area of the beach. The resort is large and didn't feel overcrowded. I am not one who likes to be “herded” in a group but after an initial feeling of unease it really turned out to be OK! The server worked very hard and service was good.

The sea was fine for swimming in. There were a lot of broken shells and I preferred to wear water shoes but then I usually do, I am sure most people didn’t bother! There were plenty of add-on activities available, snorkeling, blow-up swans for little ones or families , kayaks, flyboard, paddle boards, massage but we just relaxed. There was loud music but it didn’t bother us and every hour or so they had a group dance session for those that wanted to but no pressure. We enjoyed the fact there were no vendors and we were able to read in peace.  

I have read reports of flies but i sprayed (as I always do on Roatan) and had no problems. The biggest negative for me, was the lack of personal shade. Our section had no palapas or umbrellas. My lounger was initially in the shade of a “young” palm tree and we moved as the sun moved but eventually there was no protection and I became uncomfortable. I took a walk around the resort and found most of the eating areas were shaded but all seats were taken. Eventually we dragged the loungers back a considerable distance, but still with a view of the ocean to an area that was much more shaded and noticeably cooler. It took a while for our server to find us, now we were outside “our area” but it was fine once we caught his attention. I think as the resort matures this may be less of a problem. I still wish that umbrellas were available but I would move sooner next time - my husband was fine but i don't do well without shade.

Overall i thought it was good value for the money, vendor-free, convenient location close to port. Any specific questions I will try to answer.

Thanks for the feedback. 

What made you decide to go with PAYG vs. AI?

Did you notice anything “special” with the adults only area?

We purchased the adult/AI option for $58 p/p. I’m thinking that’s a decent deal. 

Any advice or thoughts?

19 hours ago, lgonquin said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

We purchased the adult/AI option for $58 p/p. I’m thinking that’s a decent deal. 

Any advice or thoughts?

We went with PAYG vs AI, primarily for monetary reasons!

We rarely do AI on cruise ship days as we eat more than enough on the ship, but had decided after many visits to Cozumel to give Nachi a try this trip so that was our splurge for the week. We did consider the adult-only pass but again since my husband only drinks beer decided it wouldn't be worth the price for us and that since this was our first visit we would just check out the regular area. Our ship was offering two time slots for a 4-hour excursion  - we took the later, which should have been over lunchtime, intending to eat large breakfast and late lunch on the ship, with a snack at Sol y Mar.

Food and drinks were good, but on the high-end pricewise for beach clubs that we visit. They did have some “specials” for drink prices and we mainly had the $3 beers, although i had one cocktail (which i think was $10). It came out much less than the adult-only price, but that would depend on your drink preferences and I don’t know what the included snacks were.

The beach is quite long and deep with several bars and restaurants. I am not entirely sure  where the adult- only area was but I think in the roped off area next to us that had its own bar? The reason I am not sure is because I saw several children in there. Maybe it was the family section but I didnt see particularly  family activities. 

I wished afterwards that I had checked out the options  more thoroughly and taken more photos for future visits. However our area turned out fine for us and just became a relaxing day. We are considering returning in February - whilst ship excursions are not normally our “thing”, we find transport to be expensive on Rostan for two people and felt  this turned out to be reasonable compromise.

I realize West Bay is the prime location for snorkeling but we found the ride there much longer than expected, not particularly interesting and full of potholes. We found West Bay extremely busy. Previously we have sought out much quieter locations on Roatan on our own.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2018 at 2:22 PM, lgonquin said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

Any advice or thoughts?

Where did you purchase the AI for $58 pp?  Everywhere I look it is $99 pp

35 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Where did you purchase the AI for $58 pp?  Everywhere I look it is $99 pp

They are referring to the ADULT only pass which is AI drinks and snacks. We had considered it but decided to go PAYG. Actual price varies from ship to ship, my next cruise is showing $62.

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

They are referring to the ADULT only pass which is AI drinks and snacks. We had considered it but decided to go PAYG. Actual price varies from ship to ship, my next cruise is showing $62.

Correct.

We are sailing RCCL. They sell it for $69 p/p, but was on sale for $58.

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2019 at 4:09 PM, dmdiver said:

Thanks for the info.  Still debating on whether to try this or just hang out at the beach in Mahogany Bay.

Just learning about Rotan I believe I will follow your steps 

35 minutes ago, freakatck said:

Just FYI Bodden tours offers a trip to sol y mar for $20, not AI though.

Which  Bodden? $20pp total would be a reasonable price.

we were quoted $10 entrance plus travel, dependent on number  number in van - always the problem in Roatan when you just want transport for two and not a tour. 

Discover Roatan seems to be $35pp.

We paid much less than that through the cruiseline and we rarely take ship tours.

Edited by c-leg5

15 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Which  Bodden? $20pp total would be a reasonable price.

we were quoted $10 entrance plus travel, dependent on number  number in van - always the problem in Roatan when you just want transport for two and not a tour. 

Discover Roatan seems to be $35pp.

We paid much less than that through the cruiseline and we rarely take ship tours.

Here’s the link:

http://www.boddentours.com/beachbus.htm

Which cruise line are you talking about? RCCL shows $27 for this same excursion. 

And where did you get the $10 quote from? 

1 hour ago, freakatck said:

Here’s the link:

http://www.boddentours.com/beachbus.htm

Which cruise line are you talking about? RCCL shows $27 for this same excursion. 

And where did you get the $10 quote from? 

Thanks, that seems like a good deal and must have been added since our visit last year.

I had the quote directly from Bodden last year $40pp plus $10pp entrance for two of us last year. Looking back at my email it may have been because we also were interested in Ginger's Grill, in West End, so perhaps the above was available, but he just quoted us for a private tour. RCCL had the excursion on one of their numerous "sales" so we paid less than $27 - no brainer for two of us!

I would probably go with Bodden if we went again. I see he needs 4 people but seems like that would be confirmed before you sailed.

Edited by c-leg5

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks, that seems like a good deal and must have been added since our visit last year.

I had the quote directly from Bodden last year $40pp plus $10pp entrance for two of us last year. Looking back at my email it may have been because we also were interested in Ginger's Grill, in West End, so perhaps the above was available, but he just quoted us for a private tour. RCCL had the excursion on one of their numerous "sales" so we paid less than $27 - no brainer for two of us!

I would probably go with Bodden if we went again. I see he needs 4 people but seems like that would be confirmed before you sailed.

I actually booked this tour, we are a party of 4 and will be going in May. I read your review and I’m really looking forward to our visit to sol y mar! 

30 minutes ago, freakatck said:

I actually booked this tour, we are a party of 4 and will be going in May. I read your review and I’m really looking forward to our visit to sol y mar! 

Enjoy and good find!

does anyone know if the Victor Bodden tour set a particular time to bring everyone back, or if you can pretty much leave whenever you're ready?  I want to schedule this, but I also want to spend some time near the port before heading back on the ship, so I want to spend about 4 hours at the resort.

57 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

does anyone know if the Victor Bodden tour set a particular time to bring everyone back, or if you can pretty much leave whenever you're ready?  I want to schedule this, but I also want to spend some time near the port before heading back on the ship, so I want to spend about 4 hours at the resort.

If you arrange a private driver with Bodden then he will ferry you at any time you like. 

Or are you saying Bodden has group transport to and from Sol y Mar? If so, I recommend contacting Bodden with their group transport scheduling. 

On 4/6/2019 at 12:36 PM, dbrown84 said:

On the Bodden tours website, it states that you will spend about 4-5 hours there, depending on your ship’s departure time. I would also email them to ask. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:22 PM, freakatck said:

Please do tell us your impression when you return... is the beach swimmable? is it shallow and mucky? what is the scoop on snorkeling?  Thanks so much!!