Royal Princess Docks with Sick Cruisers

Rick&Jeannie

Great!  We leave in 2 days (Nov. 9th, 2018) on Royal Princess and just got an email from Princess:

(Excerpt): Please be advised that during the current cruise there were slightly elevated case counts of gastrointestinal illness among guests. A comprehensive sanitation program was launched in response, and Royal Princess will undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, November 9, 2018.

I sure hope their sanitation program is successful!  Can't say I'm looking forward to the trip, now!

It is nothing new......

Every cruise docks with sick passengers.

NORO is everywhere. You only hear about on cruise ships because they are required to keep detailed records per the CDC.

This in part is due to our fellow passengers walking out of the toilet with no hand washing and heading to the buffet  to serve themselves food.  

• Like 4

I wonder how many people are affected by the illness to have a delayed boarding for our cruise?

I read coughing and sneezing on the ship then Princess said gastrointestinal.  I looked for their roll call for the Royal but could not find it.

It's that time of year when illnesses seem to become more prevalent.    The sanitation procedures usually work very well.    The next cruise may have a few differences - more hand washing reminders and more vigilant distribution of hand sanitizer, maybe no salt & pepper shakers on the table, or the library closed.    None of these things should be enough to ruin anyone's cruise - just remember the basics to avoid problems.    Wash hands very frequently, keep your hands away from your face, don't use handrails if you can avoid it, use knuckle or elbow on elevator buttons, etc.     

18 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

The only hand sanitizers that work with nuro are the  bleach pocket tissues  ;which you can buy in any pharmacy 

Many sanitizing products that contain chlorine bleach or proper concentrations of  hydrogen peroxide kill the Noro virus strain under proper conditions.  Wash your hands with soap and water. 

Edited by neverbeenhere

We call the Crown Princess the noro ship.  That was a cruise from hell right from the time we landed at LAX to do a coastal cruise.  Princess sent us an email saying not to arrive at the port until after 1:00 pm due to noro being on board and a thorough cleaning would be done.  Nothing we could do about that as our flights were already planned.  Had a Princess transfer and the bus took us to the Sheraton Hotel where we sat until 12:30 pm.  We board the bus and they took us to the port where we sat on the bus  for another 2 hours.  No bathroom available, bathroom was on board but the driver didn't have a key, and we had handicapped people on board.  No water available either.  The handicapped people sitting behind us were actually crying because they had to use the restroom.  I got off the bus, walked up to the bus driver with my cell phone in hand and told her she had 2 choices.  Get us to the port so the handicapped could use the restroom, or I call 911 and tell them you are holding us hostage.  Pick your poison.  She hopped on the bus and wheeled us over to the port.  We were on the ship within 15 minutes.  Just warning that the boarding may take longer than anticipated and long lines.  We were checked in at the hotel, that's why we got on the ship fast.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Monmary said:

We are on the Nov. 9 sailing too. How likely would it be to have back to back cruises with illness issues?

They can take all the time they need to clean and disinfect as far as I am concerned!!

Been on a cruise after a ship & terminal cleaning due to norovirus and didn’t have any on our cruise.

How likely would it repeat?  That usually depends upon how many passengers come onboard with it. Despite what some will claim...ships don’t generate it but the passengers do.

Even on a cruise that’s hyped in the press as a norovirus outbreak very few passengers get sick.  Norovirus is everywhere but because cruise lines are required to report a certain percentage of cases it becomes newsworthy to the press.

I would recommend to always be cautious particularly in any confined environment but not to worry too much about getting sick.  It’s what was called “stomach flu” & somehow most of us “survived” it. 😉 

Been on many cruises & never got norovirus even during a reported outbreak.

Edited by Astro Flyer

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It is nothing new......

Every cruise docks with sick passengers.

NORO is everywhere. You only hear about on cruise ships because they are required to keep detailed records per the CDC.

This in part is due to our fellow passengers walking out of the toilet with no hand washing and heading to the buffet  to serve themselves food.  

Pretty sure I had noro last week. Not fun. Likely picked it up at the grocery store or somewhere like that. Glad it's freaking gone.

13 minutes ago, terrybt said:

Just pack my immodine. And added. Sanitizing wipes for use on the plane and ship also a mini hand sanitizer spray to use after touching menus etc. better safe than sorry. 

If you are speaking of Imodium, this is bad advice when it comes to noro virus. Let the disease run it’s course is the best advice.  Drink fluids, stay in your stateroom near the toilet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Been on a cruise after a ship & terminal cleaning due to norovirus and didn’t have any on our cruise.

How likely would it repeat?  That usually depends upon how many passengers come onboard with it. Despite what some will claim...ships don’t generate it but the passengers do.

Even on a cruise that’s hyped in the press as a norovirus outbreak very few passengers get sick.  Norovirus is everywhere but because cruise lines are required to report a certain percentage of cases it becomes newsworthy to the press.

I would recommend to always be cautious particularly in any confined environment but not to worry too much about getting sick.  It’s what was called “stomach flu” & somehow most of us “survived” it. 😉 

Been on many cruises & never got norovirus even during a reported outbreak.

Thanks! Very helpful. Will take precautions and not worry too much!

I’ve been on many cruises, including those with a Noro outbreak and got it only once... and I’m convinced I got it from a land tour, not the ship. We had an overnight in Jerusalem and the hotel was disgustingly filthy. Bathroom had mold dripping down the wall, the bedspread was so dirty it was tacky to the touch. This was a Princess overnight. Nine people on my tour bus came down with Noro within 48 hours and we were the only ones on the ship. It was awful. Didn’t even want to leave my cabin for four days. The medical staff was great. 

I agree that while it’s possible to get food contamination that can appear to be Noro, it’s mostly brought on the ship by infected passengers who often self-medicate and continue to move around the ship exposing others. 

Wash, wash and wash your hands. 

• Like 1

This is actually pretty common in every day life as well, it just doesn't get reported to you via email or chat sites. A nearby office had a company come in and do some tests on their office environment for germs, bacteria and so on. They were all a bit surprised to find the highest concentration of bacteria, including fecal matter, was on the handle of the coffee pots in the employee lounges. 

I wouldn't feel worried going into the cruise, as it's all around you - shopping cart handles, entry doors, and so on. You just don't get the broadcast about it when an outbreak occurs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

….and never, ever eat with your hands!

Great advice.  You can worry about what others do but you can not control their actions.  You can control your own.  Do not touch your food including sandwiches and fries.  Use a napkin if necessary to pick up food.  And do not touch your face unless you just washed your hands.

Still recovering from a cold caught the last day of travel.  Stuff happens at home and during travel.  Hope for all to have good health and travels.