Royal Princess Docks with Sick Cruisers

Rick&Jeannie

11 hours ago, elliair said:

We call the Crown Princess the noro ship.  That was a cruise from hell right from the time we landed at LAX to do a coastal cruise.  Princess sent us an email saying not to arrive at the port until after 1:00 pm due to noro being on board and a thorough cleaning would be done.  Nothing we could do about that as our flights were already planned.  Had a Princess transfer and the bus took us to the Sheraton Hotel where we sat until 12:30 pm.  We board the bus and they took us to the port where we sat on the bus  for another 2 hours.  No bathroom available, bathroom was on board but the driver didn't have a key, and we had handicapped people on board.  No water available either.  The handicapped people sitting behind us were actually crying because they had to use the restroom.  I got off the bus, walked up to the bus driver with my cell phone in hand and told her she had 2 choices.  Get us to the port so the handicapped could use the restroom, or I call 911 and tell them you are holding us hostage.  Pick your poison.  She hopped on the bus and wheeled us over to the port.  We were on the ship within 15 minutes.  Just warning that the boarding may take longer than anticipated and long lines.  We were checked in at the hotel, that's why we got on the ship fast.

Good for you. Too many people think and act like sheep. 

I'm sitting here with what I suspect may be Norovirus and I haven't been near a cruise ship since last April.  I have no idea where I picked it up.  Most likely the grocery store pharmacy from a few days ago.

I've had it several times because I can't seem to keep my hands and fingers away from my face.  My husband has never had it because he has more control, LOL.

This happened to us one time on Sun Princess. They delayed boarding for sanitizing, since the prior sailing had a number of norm cases on board. I neve4 felt more protected! Of course, we are diligent hand washers and we try not to use public restrooms on board. We heard of no additional outbreak on our sailing. Just relax, keep your personal hygiene impeccable, and don’t worry! 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Rcurtis said:

Great!  We leave in 2 days (Nov. 9th, 2018) on Royal Princess and just got an email from Princess:

(Excerpt): Please be advised that during the current cruise there were slightly elevated case counts of gastrointestinal illness among guests. A comprehensive sanitation program was launched in response, and Royal Princess will undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, November 9, 2018.

I sure hope their sanitation program is successful!  Can't say I'm looking forward to the trip, now!

We have been on several cruises with reportable outbreaks of Norovirus (on Emerald Princess class of ships that's as few as 13 people with the illness).   Taking reasonable precautions, washing hands thoroughly both entering and leaving our cabin, avoiding using hands on railings, elevator, etc. where safety permits, we've come through OK.

Seeing as Noro has an incubation period, it is likely most people contracted it in airports and on airplanes.

We've seen some of the deep cleaning, and the crew thoroughly cleans all surfaces of the cabins, hallways, and public spaces using very strong disinfectant.   Also during the cruise they take measures to limit cross contact with common items, like butter dishes on tables, etc.    And they may even reduce the vacuum cleaning - on one cruise with active Noro they stopped it to avoid cross contamination of cabins.

Having said that, we would have no issue at all with boarding a Princess ship after a deep cleaning, and enjoying the cruise.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:41 AM, neverbeenhere said:

If you are speaking of Imodium, this is bad advice when it comes to noro virus. Let the disease run it’s course is the best advice.  Drink fluids, stay in your stateroom near the toilet. 

Please elaborate, why this is bad advice. We always pack a medical kit and include Imodium instants. They work and as long as you  rehydrate with say  Dioralyte or let a can of regular coke go flat( sugar, salt coloured water) and drink that, it's mostly problem solved. Wash, wash, wash, for your sake and the sake of your fellow travelers. Problem not solved then it's medical centre next stop.

57 minutes ago, Ron the Rev said:

Please elaborate, why this is bad advice. We always pack a medical kit and include Imodium instants. They work and as long as you  rehydrate with say  Dioralyte or let a can of regular coke go flat( sugar, salt coloured water) and drink that, it's mostly problem solved. Wash, wash, wash, for your sake and the sake of your fellow travelers. Problem not solved then it's medical centre next stop.

Many doctors and studies do not recommend use of anti-diarrheals for viral infections, when not actively traveling.  As long as you have access to a clean bathroom (like your cabin on the ship), the diarrhea will shed the virus faster than if held in by use of immodium, bringing symptoms to an end sooner. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saxman123 said:

i am boarding now. i only wash my hands in the salad dressing at the buffet.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Why did you wait since joining in March to add this superb levity?  Keep working on the routine!  You might even be a comic onboard one day!  Bon voyage!

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

It is nothing new......

Every cruise docks with sick passengers.

NORO is everywhere. You only hear about on cruise ships because they are required to keep detailed records per the CDC.

This in part is due to our fellow passengers walking out of the toilet with no hand washing and heading to the buffet  to serve themselves food.  

I've seen crew with hand sanitizers at various places throughout the ship, (ex: at the entrance to the buffet) BUT, has anyone ever seen a crew member with a hand sanitizer outside of the men's/women's bathroom?  I've never seen that; may be a good idea considering how inconsiderate some people are!  What do you think?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickels said:

I've seen crew with hand sanitizers at various places throughout the ship, (ex: at the entrance to the buffet) BUT, has anyone ever seen a crew member with a hand sanitizer outside of the men's/women's bathroom?  I've never seen that; may be a good idea considering how inconsiderate some people are!  What do you think?

Probably not going to happen on Princess.

As I posted in another thread. Onboard the Regal right now they are phasing out the sanitizer and trying to promote hand washing. Most of the sanitizer stations are gone and those that are left are either empty or almost empty. They are using up what sanitizer they have left onboard. I was told this by a couple of officers.

If someone walks out of the toilet and won’t wash their hands they sure as heck aren’t going to stop and use sanitizer.  

There was a passenger in the deck 5 men’s bathroom off the Piazza this morning that sounded like he had the runs (montezumas revenge). As I washed my hands he walked out without washing. I imagine he went right up to the HC to grab some food with no tongs. 

Disgusting.......

23 minutes ago, coconut cruiser said:

What about those passengers in the middle of a back to back?  Do they have to get off the ship and wait on the dock while they clean the ship?  Anyone experienced this?

Sometimes yes.  It has depended on the level of cleaning going on.  On one Celebrity ship, we were told to evacuate because the cruise was going to be using a serious fogger to disinfect some areas of the ship.

Keith, OMG, that is just disturbing....

But, the thing is... I am also afraid that washing is only somewhat effective, and just spreads more germs....

Many people would just spread more germs around, with a quick-wash, instead of taking the time to do it correctly and NOT spread the germs...    Does the regal have automatic water faucets?  Or do you have to touch the handle/lever to turn the water off and on?

And, I am thinking from this report that the Regal will be the next to have reports of NORO.

We are stocking up big-time on hand sanitizers, etc...

: o

Edited by Wishing on a star

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

But, the thing is... I am also afraid that washing is only somewhat effective, and just spreads more germs....

Many people would just spread more germs around, with a quick-wash, instead of taking the time to do it correctly and NOT spread the germs...    Does the regal have automatic water faucets?  Or do you have to touch the handle/lever to turn the water off and on?

And, I am thinking from this report that the Regal will be the next to have reports of NORO.

They do have the touch less faucets.

1 hour ago, coconut cruiser said:

What about those passengers in the middle of a back to back?  Do they have to get off the ship and wait on the dock while they clean the ship?  Anyone experienced this?

Also depends on Customs & Immigration. Some times all b2b passengers must exit the ship and wait till  they are let back on

On 11/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, Rcurtis said:

Great!  We leave in 2 days (Nov. 9th, 2018) on Royal Princess and just got an email from Princess:

(Excerpt): Please be advised that during the current cruise there were slightly elevated case counts of gastrointestinal illness among guests. A comprehensive sanitation program was launched in response, and Royal Princess will undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, November 9, 2018.

I sure hope their sanitation program is successful!  Can't say I'm looking forward to the trip, now!

I have found that when we've boarded a ship that has previously had a bought with the Norovirus, the ship has been thoroughly  cleaned and disinfected.   They usually require a few extra steps around the food, which is good for everyone

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, chrysalis said:

….and never, ever eat with your hands!

The only meal I eat with my hands on a ship is breakfast. I always refuse getting a menu. It's easy to glance at what the daily specials are as I go in.

13 hours ago, coconut cruiser said:

What about those passengers in the middle of a back to back?  Do they have to get off the ship and wait on the dock while they clean the ship?

Yes.Must wait off the ship, but do not have to stay near the dock unless you want to.

I guess it is where one spent their time on this last cruise on Royal disembarking on 11/9.  I was on it and didn't see any signs of illnesses at all!  We ate all our meals in the dining rooms (CC) and Alfredo's.  Never went near the buffet or deck 16.  Also never spent alot of time in Piazza area.  Mostly off ship, in room, or in Princess Live or Vista Lounge.  Guess we were lucky.  So surprised to get back and read all about our cruise like this. Whew!  Always washed our hands in the room before going to meals and not touching with hands anything on the way to the dining room.  Also had waiters put the menus in front of us and never touched them either.

Pooh

On 11/9/2018 at 2:27 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Please don't worry.  I have been on many, many cruise with noro going around the ship.  We were on the Crown when there was a major outbreak.  Just wash your hands.  Wash them the first thing when you get back to you cabin too.  Don't use public rest rooms while on board.  Do not put your fingers in you mouth, nose or eyes.  When there is a out break on board, I only eat hot food.  No salads for me then.

you will be fine.

We have been on 65 cruises and my husband got the norovirous 2 years ago    we felt the medical staff was great. This was on celebrity

What we now do is not eat anything while on line at the buffet

We wash hands before going in and before we eat use hand sanitizer

It is not fun to get the virus.  We have gotten off ships and know we had some bug.  You need to wash wash wash. Also we prefer when possible to use our cabin bathroom