OK so where is the Edge Hippie Van?

TeeRick

Now that Edge is alive and well and sailing the oceans as an official Celebrity ship, we have seen many actual photos.  We have seen Mr. Edge the horse and the Wooden Ghost Ladies.  But where o where is the Hippie Van from the early renderings???  Does Edge have the Retreat Garage for storing it until ready?  Did VW pull it back because it failed its emissions inspection?  Is it holding up somewhere in the FLL cruise port waiting to make its grand entrance?  Is it currently on loan for a Grateful Dead retro tour?  Anybody else have any ideas?

• Haha 1

I am just hoping it wasn't a Kelly Hoppen design that she threw in the waste basket (I found some of the hippie van sketches on her website many moons ago). If it is not already onboard and hidden (maybe in the Iconic Suite :classic_wink:), maybe it will be loaded on in FLL.

My other thought is that the rectangular object on the Retreat Sundeck below is a large crate and the famous Munchie Van is inside. It may be a big secret so maybe Valentina doesn't know about it yet. I am really hoping it is there - it is one of the big Edge mysteries left to be discovered (along with where is the polar bear?, is the stoweaway penguin okay?, did Lloyd get his puppy?, where will Mr. Edge live?, is Snakeman as creepy as he looks? and most important - will the IV railings block our view?). :classic_smile:

Great thread!! 🚌

image.png.fda6bddfa05bbd18c71c2be424ea7bcf.png

For those who missed the discussion in July, these photos were found online. It was the first inkling that the Edge was going to be a bit quirky, and whimsical:

image.thumb.png.061cbc7cc44717e80bcd380ce7958f2e.png

image.thumb.png.9ea7ea9481f25f85b5556cd8c0b3d93f.png

This was the text posted with the following picture in the post on a social media site (from Kelly Hoppen):

"The Retreat| Think Cafe del Mar, Ibiza. The difference is, it's a place that you can sit and eat late into the night. It has a vibe, there's atmospheric music and is really one of a kind.

Normally, sun decks close early hours, filtering people inside and leaving them unable to enjoy the undisturbed views of the night ocean. The world is truly at your feet here, with beautifully designed furniture and interior design that rounds off the experience."

image.png.df56088ad8e0dc14ca9b723d51a5894f.png

This is the thread from July:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2559786-the-retreat-sundeck-just-got-more-interesting/

15 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I am just hoping it wasn't a Kelly Hoppen design that she threw in the waste basket (I found some of the hippie van sketches on her website many moons ago). If it is not already onboard and hidden (maybe in the Iconic Suite :classic_wink:), maybe it will be loaded on in FLL.

My other thought is that the rectangular object on the Retreat Sundeck below is a large crate and the famous Munchie Van is inside. It may be a big secret so maybe Valentina doesn't know about it yet. I am really hoping it is there - it is one of the big Edge mysteries left to be discovered (along with where is the polar bear?, is the stoweaway penguin okay?, did Lloyd get his puppy?, where will Mr. Edge live?, is Snakeman as creepy as he looks? and most important - will the IV railings block our view?). :classic_smile:

Great thread!! 🚌

image.png.fda6bddfa05bbd18c71c2be424ea7bcf.png

Maybe the Hippie Van is in the crate and requires assembly once in the US?  If not, what's in the crate??

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe the Hippie Van is in the crate and requires assembly once in the US?  If not, what's in the crate??

The crate is what I am hoping for as well (maybe it was shipped from another part of Europe to the port in a crate and remains there to keep the crew and ship builders from spilling the beans). After reading that thread again and seeing Kelly's comments with a picture of the van that she posted on her account, I have more hope. I  hope it is there or I will look pretty silly entering the Retreat in my hippie van t-shirt. :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The crate is what I am hoping for as well (maybe it was shipped from another part of Europe to the port in a crate and remains there to keep the crew and ship builders from spilling the beans). After reading that thread again and seeing Kelly's comments with a picture of the van that she posted on her account, I have more hope. I  hope it is there or I will look pretty silly entering the Retreat in my hippie van t-shirt. :classic_smile:

Bring it along.,.I think there will be several retro / hippie opportunities to show it off!

23 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

The VW Mini Van is ridiculous for usefulness while on board as it is my hope and IMHO...if its present at all, its as an artifact and a segment of the Art Catalogue in the Cabin.

Bad trip, man – don't be a downer.  I'm bringing several flower decals to finish the look!

We stayed recently in an upscale resort in Cabo San Lucas that had a beautifully restored VW Van converted into one of the serving stations at a very classy outdoor bar in a tropical setting. We thought it was a great conversation piece and it put a smile on everyone's face (my wife had a '66 that she loved!) Everything doesn't have to be useful - why not allow something to be a little outrageous? Just chill and enjoy the experience!

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

The VW Mini Van is ridiculous for usefulness while on board as it is my hope and IMHO...if its present at all, its as an artifact and a segment of the Art Catalogue in the Cabin.

I see you all love the idea of it so I don’t want to put a damper on your good fun. To me, had it been a converted photo booth near an area where kids could learn a bit about the history of these vehicles and those times while getting photo booth family strips for memories...now that would have put a smile on my face! 

5 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

I see you all love the idea of it so I don’t want to put a damper on your good fun. To me, had it been a converted photo booth near an area where kids could learn a bit about the history of these vehicles and those times while getting photo booth family strips for memories...now that would have put a smile on my face! 

It’s even better than that! It is a hippie van with a flip top and full of drinks!! 😀

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

Early renderings put it in the suite Retreat area by the pool and it appeared to have a functional use as a snack or lunch counter type area.  Many of us thought it would be fun.  Your suggestion of a photo booth would also work but it would not likely be in the Retreat area.