OK so where is the Edge Hippie Van?

TeeRick

I still think the  flower power hippie van concept clashes with the notion of the exclusive retreat area...not a good spot!

It could be great fun in the teen basement area,,  obviously without  alcoholic bevs!

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

I still think the  flower power hippie van concept clashes with the notion of the exclusive retreat area...not a good spot!

It could be great fun in the teen basement area,,  obviously without  alcoholic bevs!

Really??? I get beat up mainstream and you get to say naaaahhh... Of course this is Architectual Folly and while the Retreat is Chic and Sophisticated, or so I truly hope, the WVMicrobus is Grunge Retro and is ridiculous for the intended environment. 

It's Obvious to more than just myself!

Edited by MizDemeanor

32 minutes ago, hcat said:

I know we’re probably in the minority, but I agree with you. I realize it's probably supposed to be a bit of whimsy, but it seems like an anachronism in the retreat.

Jm2c... 😊

11 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

Really??? I get beat up mainstream and you get to say naaaahhh... Of course this is Architectual Folly and while the Retreat is Chic and Sophisticated, or so I truly hope, the WVMicrobus is Grunge Retro and is ridiculous for the intended environment. 

It's Obvious to more than just myself!

Wow I guess you really dislike the Hippie Van idea!  LOL! Maybe that is why it is not currently there so Celebrity might agree with you.  Retreat chic and sophisticated maybe.  But a lot of suite passengers (like me anyway) just as much want laid back especially the pool and sundeck area.  I would not be happy with too formal of an environment there.  Perhaps a little whimsical in that area without being overdone is ok for me.  These are all just opinions and preferences - why did you feel beat up?  I started this topic just for fun.    

Just now, DachshundsRule said:

If it’s there, it’s part of the art collection, thus it doesn’t have to “go” with the surroundings. We’re a VW family so are looking forward to finding it there - though personally I’d prefer a Karmann Ghia!

Now you’re talking - our green Karmann Ghia was my DH’s and my first car(before the kids started to arrive). A great car and fun to drive. Wish we still owned it!😄

It’s funny because I read through the first thread from last summer about the bus and people either loved it or didn’t. Mostly the same people put out the same points. In the end we decided that the hippies would live on the B Side of the Retreat portside (with the bus and bar) and those who didn’t like the bus could enjoy the lovely country club ambiance on the starboard side. 😊 

I had forgotten about the B Side. It did make me smile, but  I think we will all be happy together up there, hippie van or not. Whats not to like? 😎

On 11/7/2018 at 6:19 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

You can't get a hippie van at St-Nazaire – this is waiting for the maiden call in San Francisco.  She will arrive with flowers in her hair. :classic_laugh:

Now that makes perfect sense to me, flowers and all!

i'm personally not a fan of the idea, and maybe a ceramic coating might help with this issue, but I would think salt in the air and from the sea would wreak absolute havoc on a restored van's paint and chrome. Rust would be inevitable which may make the whole idea not plausible. Just a thought.

I'm trying to keep an open mind...the large part of me is saying...NO. 

Hippy, Dippy, Crazy, Magic, Call it what you will...

I'm sorry. I'm as stuck on this as I am on Weed in a Vape Locker...

I feel like I've accmplished more than rolling joints in the 80s.

And can Just Say No. 

As in I don't need any Weed any More.

DO YOU???

13 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

And can Just Say No. 

DO YOU???

Are you in a suite for your cruise?  The Magic Bus is supposed to be in the Retreat area.  If not in a suite you likely will not even see it.  If you are in a suite it is maybe something you will get to know and love!

14 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

And can Just Say No. 

DO YOU???

Sorry, but I don't think you ARE really trying to keep an open mind.  This has absolutely nothing to do with weed or vaping.  

There are lots of us who think the Hippie Van is very cute and a clever idea, along with Mr. Edge and the Polar Bear and Puppy.  And, there are a number of us who really dislike the Creepy Trees and the equally creep Wooden People, but we are not making a huge "thing" about it.  If we don't like them, we will just stay away from them.  If you don't like the VW bus, just find yourself a lounger or chair facing the other way.  Easy peasy.  Not a big deal.  

Personally, I think it is great, and am jealous that everyone in the suites will get to enjoy it, but I will not, because I am in a lowly IV.  WHAT am I saying?!?!  I am SOOOO lucky to be on our beloved Edge, regardless of which class of stateroom, and will enjoy every minute.  Maybe I will even find someone who will invite me into the Retreat just for a few minutes to see the van and have a photo op, should it actually be there.  (vt - are you listening? Hint, hint)

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

Sorry, but I don't think you ARE really trying to keep an open mind.  This has absolutely nothing to do with weed or vaping.  

There are lots of us who think the Hippie Van is very cute and a clever idea, along with Mr. Edge and the Polar Bear and Puppy.  And, there are a number of us who really dislike the Creepy Trees and the equally creep Wooden People, but we are not making a huge "thing" about it.  If we don't like them, we will just stay away from them.  If you don't like the VW bus, just find yourself a lounger or chair facing the other way.  Easy peasy.  Not a big deal.  

Personally, I think it is great, and am jealous that everyone in the suites will get to enjoy it, but I will not, because I am in a lowly IV.  WHAT am I saying?!?!  I am SOOOO lucky to be on our beloved Edge, regardless of which class of stateroom, and will enjoy every minute.  Maybe I will even find someone who will invite me into the Retreat just for a few minutes to see the van and have a photo op, should it actually be there.  (vt - are you listening? Hint, hint)

Bring your polar bear costume and I'll sneak you in....😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Are you in a suite for your cruise?  The Magic Bus is supposed to be in the Retreat area.  If not in a suite you likely will not even see it.  If you are in a suite it is maybe something you will get to know and love!

Yes we are in a suite. I do realize it is supposed to be in The Retreat Area. I've been in the VW Micro Bus back in the day. I just feel like my focus is forward, not backward in the past. I feel like this takes me back to times that I don't necessarily have regrets over personally, but trigger recollection that they were wicked bad times for this country, nightly death counts from the war, POW bracelets, weed, LSD, sit ins, Patty Hearst, Charlie Manson, draft dodging, not good times. 

I may be of a different age than some others who may not have the vivid memories of those times. 

In any event, its a backward look, not a forward one, and the other art and artificates that we have been shown so far are by far more apealing to me in design originality and overall interest. 

17 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

Yes we are in a suite. I do realize it is supposed to be in The Retreat Area. I've been in the VW Micro Bus back in the day. I just feel like my focus is forward, not backward in the past. I feel like this takes me back to times that I don't necessarily have regrets over personally, but trigger recollection that they were wicked bad times for this country, nightly death counts from the war, POW bracelets, weed, LSD, sit ins, Patty Hearst, Charlie Manson, draft dodging, not good times. 

I may be of a different age than some others who may not have the vivid memories of those times. 

In any event, its a backward look, not a forward one, and the other art and artificates that we have been shown so far are by far more apealing to me in design originality and overall interest. 

OK.

• 1 month later...