What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

The reubens that are served through room service have too much sauce and not enough meat, cheese and sauercraut.  I order two reubens and combine the meat, chees ans sauercraut to make one good sandwich.

We also bring a small bottle of Woolite to take care of emergency washes in the sink.

As posted below, zip locks come in handy for a multitude of uses.  I bring several of each size.  They don't take up much room.

Great thread, when its on point.  Lots of wasted bandwidth on nonsense though.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SurfCat said:

The reubens that are served through room service have too much sauce and not enough meat, cheese and sauercraut.  I order two reubens and combine the meat, chees ans sauercraut to make one good sandwich.

Great Idea!   I have often ordered the Reuben Sandwich from RS, and it was not as good as the ones made at the deli.   Next time though...I will order 2 and combine.....  thks..

Just wish they looked like this one... 

https://boarshead.com/recipes/detail/366-classic-reuben

Edited by jwjax
  • Like 2

We treat ourselves each morning with a nice Iced Latte, no sugar, from the coffee bar (free if you have cheers) pour them into our large insulated tumblers, then go order a frozen Mudslide from the bar and pour half into each tumbler! It's a nice, not-too-sweet morning coffee treat! Once we get to know the bartenders, they usually pour it right into our tumblers!

OMG THIS!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

not really cruise specific, buuttt...I usually toss a few dryer sheets into my luggage so when I open my suitcase, my clothes smell nice and fresh and not like they've spent hours in a suitcase. 

Yup I'm putting outfits in ziplocs with dryer sheets.  I like smelling like fresh laundry!!  Another thing I do is buy fancy soap, leave it in the package(cause you can still smell it)and throw it into the luggage.  Lemon verbena is my favorite!!

Edited by Crazy4Camping
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, Chervil said:

These are the first that come to mind:

We love having scones at tea time. 
The only problem is they only have clotted cream and butter, no preserves of any kind.
My wife brings a ramekin with a plastic lid and gleans her own preserves at breakfast, then brings them to tea!
Makes the scones that much more delicious and tasty!

Have the Bottomless Bubbles or Cheers package?
Get some root beer and head to the soft-serve machine for a refreshing root beer float!
This is especially good while eating popcorn and watching the Dive-In movie!

At dessert in the MDR, in addition to whatever other treat I indulge in, I always order the fruit and cheese platter to go (they will bring it out with a lid just like room service!)
Then I take it back to the room so we can enjoy it later that evening with some of the wine we brought!

I was wondering if you could do the fruit and cheese tray to go for wine later! Thanks!

56 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Yup I'm putting outfits in ziplocs with dryer sheets.  I like smelling like fresh laundry!!  Another thing I do is buy fancy soap, leave it in the package(cause you can still smell it)and throw it into the luggage.  Lemon verbena is my favorite!!

we have some fancy citrus soaps that we scored at our last hotel visit and we tossed them into the luggage without really thinking about it and even our dirty clothes smelled amazing when we got home!  I had totally forgotten.  thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 2:21 PM, LadyMac72 said:

I've heard of people using a shoe organizer... but what do you put in there?

On 1/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, bbtbear said:

I have one with clear pockets so I can put all kinds of things in it and see them to find them . Toiletries, shoes, jewelry, sign and sail cards when not in use, deck of cards, hats, sticky notes/pens, sunscreen... things that would otherwise be cluttering the room.

I have one at home in each of our bathrooms.  Great storage for hairspray, brush, Bobby pins, you name It all easily accessible 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 2:21 PM, LadyMac72 said:

I've heard of people using a shoe organizer... but what do you put in there?

On 1/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, bbtbear said:

I have one with clear pockets so I can put all kinds of things in it and see them to find them . Toiletries, shoes, jewelry, sign and sail cards when not in use, deck of cards, hats, sticky notes/pens, sunscreen... things that would otherwise be cluttering the room.

I have one at home in each of our bathrooms.  Great storage for hairspray, brush, Bobby pins, you name It all easily accessible 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 9:23 AM, sanmarcosman said:

It can be confusing. There are two options for ordering an Indian meal. The first is, as you say, on the menu. With 24 HR advance notice with the maitre d'  the chef's staff will prepare a special off-menu meal for you which incorporates many of the foods being enjoyed by the Indian kitchen crew that day. I've read here that people may be asked which proteins they would prefer, e.g. chicken or beef, and what degree of spice they would like the meal prepared with. So that should clear up the confusion. I'm going to pre-order one evening on the Dream this February. If it goes well I will start a topic thread on my experience.

Bit late to this but to clarify, it's not a special meal per se that can be custom ordered, it is simply the non-vegetarian option for an Indian meal.

The vegetarian option is listed on the daily dinner menu, the non-vegetarian (meat) option is not. This menu is set in advance and it has to be ordered the previous day.

The setup for the entree is the same as the vegetarian option for that day. The vegetarian entree comes with three bowls of curries; two vegetables and one lentil. The non-vegetarian entree swaps out one of the vegetable bowls with a meat-based curry.

When we took a 7-day cruise on the Valor out of San Juan, I spoke with the hostess and she said I cannot have it the first night, since the chefs require 24 hours notice but I could have it every night going forward. However, she was required to come check with me every night and I had to confirm every single night.

She said the rules didn't allow me to say yes to all nights all at once.

I pigged out and had the Indian non-veg entree every night along with any other one that struck my fancy. It was really delicious.

I've attached an older Indian menu below, Carnival has probably made changes to the menu since then.

Carnival - Indian Menu.pdf

Edited by hirent
  • Like 1

If you aren't bringing your cell phone with you to the pool/beach/whatever, wear a cheap waterproof wristwatch.

You can get a cheap one from Walmart/Target for $10 to $20.  Works great so you don't miss certain activities around the boat that you were planning on attending.

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

- Bring a bottle of wine on the ship, legally

- Pour myself a nice sized glass

- Bring to dinner

- Save a million dollars

I would "lose" a million dollars in dry cleaning after I spill the glass of wine on my shirt after having to carry it all the way to the dining room.  : )

But yeah, bringing a bottle of wine on the boat is a great idea.  I recommend a good twist off one so you don't have to worry about finding a corkscrew.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

- Bring a bottle of wine on the ship, legally

- Pour myself a nice sized glass

- Bring to dinner

- Save a million dollars

So you can take your own glass to dining room? Just if you take the bottle there is a cork fee ?

4 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

So you can take your own glass to dining room? Just if you take the bottle there is a cork fee ?

That's correct in most cases , some will even let you slide on the corkage fee.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

I quite literally take my own wine glass to the dining room and everywhere else onboard when I am drinking wine:

image.png.6e9f845c1a63858cf1736b6f231da813.png

I bring one of my Riedel Pinot Noir glasses from home because the wine smells and tastes sooooo much better from it than from the cheap, clunky glasses used onboard.  I've gotten quite spoiled by these glasses and it is worth the trouble of packing it and cleaning it and keeping track of it for me.  I order a glass of Pinot Noir at the bar (or a bottle for the table when in the MDR) and pour it into my own glass, leaving the glass it was served in at the bar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

I quite literally take my own wine glass to the dining room and everywhere else onboard when I am drinking wine:

I bring one of my Riedel Pinot Noir glasses from home because the wine smells and tastes sooooo much better from it than from the cheap, clunky glasses used onboard.  I've gotten quite spoiled by these glasses and it is worth the trouble of packing it and cleaning it and keeping track of it for me.  I order a glass of Pinot Noir at the bar (or a bottle for the table when in the MDR) and pour it into my own glass, leaving the glass it was served in at the bar.

Perfect!!!! I will take my own glass also. Probably one of those yeti type with a lid 😂 I’m such a classy wine drinker.   Hahah I don’t drink a lot of wine actually but went to the winery already and have my two bottles packed for my March cruise.   Nothing else in my carry on yet just that. Hubby won’t drink wine at all so I get both bottles. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I hear you on this. I refuse to make a mixed drink at the house unless its in a Waterford crystal. Nothing worse (1st world problem!) than not enjoying a drink because of a crappy glass/plastic cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mommawo said:

Perfect!!!! I will take my own glass also. Probably one of those yeti type with a lid 😂 I’m such a classy wine drinker.   Hahah I don’t drink a lot of wine actually but went to the winery already and have my two bottles packed for my March cruise.   Nothing else in my carry on yet just that. Hubby won’t drink wine at all so I get both bottles. 

My DH, too, is not much of a wine drinker. So both bottles carried onboard are always mine.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

I would "lose" a million dollars in dry cleaning after I spill the glass of wine on my shirt after having to carry it all the way to the dining room.  : )

But yeah, bringing a bottle of wine on the boat is a great idea.  I recommend a good twist off one so you don't have to worry about finding a corkscrew.

That's the big question.  The wine that's available at the stores near the pier-do they even have screw top bottles?

2 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

That's the big question.  The wine that's available at the stores near the pier-do they even have screw top bottles?

Not sure what exact stores are near the pier but I'm sure any local CVS/Walgreens/etc will have screw top wine bottles (yes, you can buy wine from drug stores here in FL).

If you find a Total Wine or something similar before you board, even better. I'm sure they have a much bigger selection of screw top wine bottles.

21 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

not really cruise specific, buuttt...I usually toss a few dryer sheets into my luggage so when I open my suitcase, my clothes smell nice and fresh and not like they've spent hours in a suitcase. 

I do this also when traveling 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

Not sure what exact stores are near the pier but I'm sure any local CVS/Walgreens/etc will have screw top wine bottles (yes, you can buy wine from drug stores here in FL).

If you find a Total Wine or something similar before you board, even better. I'm sure they have a much bigger selection of screw top wine bottles.

Will carnival not provide one for you if you ask for a corkscrew?