What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

On 11/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, pyropoodle said:

I was hoping someone would answer this question because I honestly do not know.   it's kind of a locker room situation (at least on the ships I've been on, so can't speak to newer ships at all), so not sure I'd feel comfortable completely doing all hair and make up in there, plus, it's steamy.  I'd just towel my head up and roll back to the room to do the final fixin's, but maybe someone can clear this up for you.

Yes they have a vanity to sit at, with hair dryer in drawer, plug by mirror

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 8:09 AM, ShakyBeef said:

A dent puller, or something similar like this:

image.png.d5a5bc9237ae0caf83878f564a029b45.png

Or, actual bath suction handles like this:

image.png.d21394329daf21c93a26ddcf0b82825e.png

Both have been mentioned and work in the same way: suction.

Shower curtain is long enough that you can rest your foot/leg on the toilet while shaving. Minimal time and mess. That way dont have to carry extra stuff

• Like 6

We bring a 12 pack of Root Beer with us.  In the afternoon, we stop by the Lido deck to fill a cup with vanilla ice cream to have a Root Beer float out on our balcony.  Yum!

This time I ordered a bottle of Khalua to have in our room.  Figured I could get milk on Lido deck in the morning to put in our fridge, and make a Khalua and cream in the afternoon to enjoy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LPut714 said:

Shower curtain is long enough that you can rest your foot/leg on the toilet while shaving. Minimal time and mess. That way dont have to carry extra stuff

Every time I read a post like yours it reminds me of the comedian who said,

" You gotta love Carnival bathrooms , it's the only place where you can ship ,shower and shave all at the same time. "

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Every time I read a post like yours it reminds me of the comedian who said,

" You gotta love Carnival bathrooms , it's the only place where you can ship ,shower and shave all at the same time. "

Our first Carnival cruise on the original Carnivale-we could sit on the toilet and have our feet in the shower. But had the best time and got us hooked 30+ years later still love them. (Sorry off topic)

Edited by LPut714
added text
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 5:32 PM, GB Chicago said:

For Platinum members our perk is a free drink the last day at breakfast or brunch.  Not a day drinker so I take my ticket to the dining room during brunch and ask for a glass of wine "to go".  Put in the fridge for happy hour!

For ships with the Blue Iguana restaurant I make a salad from the salad bar and head over for Mexican toppings

Steakhouse cooking class is the best lunch on the ship!  Get there early it fills up so fast.  Always on a sea day.

Ships with the Alchemy Bar usually have free plates of cheese, nuts and olives to eat with your cocktails.

You do not need to wait until the last day to use your Platinum drink ticket. You can use during breakfast or lunch any day of the cruise. 

Things I bring on every cruise:

1. Poo Pourri- works great for small areas.

2. Insulated drink cups.  Perfect for the pool, excursions etc.  Keeps drinks cold all day.

3. Tide detergent packets.  For washing out bathing suits.

4. Large Ziploc bags for damp clothes...because they never fully dry.

5. Clothespins for hanging wet bathing suits and shower curtain.

6. Power strip

7. Beach bags for excursions

8. Waterproof camera

9. Bag of meds...just in case.

• Like 5

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, sarmat1 said:

Prior to our last cruise, I would never have thought to even ask, but this past summer we wanted to get to Hasbro so we told our server that we were going to skip dessert.  She said that we should just take it with us.  So we told her what we wanted and a minute later had them to go and then ate them in the theater during Hasbro.  Gotta love the MDR servers - they're the best.

We did the same when my husband had to take my son back to our cabin to use the bathroom (he refuses to poop in public restrooms) and missed all of dessert time in the MDR. We were in a rush to make it to the family Halloween party, so the waitstaff suggested he just take his dessert to go.

I didn't realize they could do that, but they plated it up with a room service cover. It was perfect. We plan to do that every meal now, so we can enjoy a treat while watching a show.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, pacruise804 said:

When I went to college the dorms had a shared restroom on each floor, and I'm sure I shaved my legs while on campus and not only while home on breaks.  I didn't realize I was supposed to go weeks or months without shaving🤔

Right?! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with shaving your legs in a spa shower. It's not like you're sitting on deck shaving in front of everyone, but these are basically just showers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, hirent said:

Bit late to this but to clarify, it's not a special meal per se that can be custom ordered, it is simply the non-vegetarian option for an Indian meal.

The vegetarian option is listed on the daily dinner menu, the non-vegetarian (meat) option is not. This menu is set in advance and it has to be ordered the previous day.

The setup for the entree is the same as the vegetarian option for that day. The vegetarian entree comes with three bowls of curries; two vegetables and one lentil. The non-vegetarian entree swaps out one of the vegetable bowls with a meat-based curry.

When we took a 7-day cruise on the Valor out of San Juan, I spoke with the hostess and she said I cannot have it the first night, since the chefs require 24 hours notice but I could have it every night going forward. However, she was required to come check with me every night and I had to confirm every single night.

She said the rules didn't allow me to say yes to all nights all at once.

I pigged out and had the Indian non-veg entree every night along with any other one that struck my fancy. It was really delicious.

I've attached an older Indian menu below, Carnival has probably made changes to the menu since then.

Carnival - Indian Menu.pdf 76.2 kB · 59 downloads

I'm living vicariously through you. I miss Indian food! I was diagnosed with chick pea allergy about a year and a half ago, so now it's no longer safe for me. 😞

On 11/9/2018 at 4:12 PM, BallFour4 said:

If you are on a Conquest class ship and have fixed time dining go down to Deck 2. Walk down to the second from aft elevator bank and go up to Deck 3 or 4 depending on where your table is.

Ive never understood why people wait in line.  If you have assigned dinner time just get there at about 5 mins after that time, and there will be little to no line...and you wouldn't have stood there for 10 minutes.

Also one I have heard, but not tried.....you can ask for a banana split in the MDR.

We always bring poo pouri, but remember it works only if you spray it in the toilet bowl BEFORE you poo.

First day, order coffee. Keep the tray and the coffe pot. That way we can get our own coffee [more than one cup at a time]  and when we are at the buffet can load up the tray for snacking later[ we bring saran wrap and use the mini fridge for storage]

Bungee cord to keep balcony door open so that we can cool off room on warm nights.

Bring a good book or two to read because the variety of books in the library are limited.

Bring a scale to weigh yourself everyday to make sure you don't overdo it too far......or don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Bungee cord to keep balcony door open so that we can cool off room on warm nights.

Please don't do this!!!   This cuts down on the cooling from the A/C system for other cabins all around you.  That is what causes those "warm nights" in the cabins.  Please, please, everyone stop doing this and ruining the comfort of so many others on the ship with you!

Although this first thread I'm including a link to is from the RCI forum, it contains very informative posts from Chengkp75, a very knowledgeable cruise ship chief engineer explaining just why it is bad to prop one's balcony door open:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We always bring extra hangers, because there aren’t always the same amount in every closet. It also makes unpacking super simple to just take clothes directly from the suitcase to the hanger rod. My hack is to make sure 2 of the hangers we bring are the plastic clothing store hangers that have the swiveling metal hook hanger on the top. After coming back to the cabin  after a day at the beach or pool, we put our swimsuits or towels on those 2 hangers. We bring 2 super cheap Harbor Freight spring clamps ( looks like a metal clothespin with rubberized tips) and attach the hangers to the BACK of the chairs on the balcony. The swiveling top on the hangers adjust easily to go north south instead of east west and hang nicely on the chairbacks. Things dry faster there than on the shower clothesline and are out of the way too. We learned the hard way that it can get windy on the balcony and things draped over the chair backs can get blown off or blown away.  We also use the spring clamps on the clamshell chairs near pools. I got some $2 “Sarong” scarfs from Amazon and 1 of those will stretch across the front top of the clamshell- clamped on each end. It gives you a nice sun shade and bit of privacy. The clamps will also weight down a shower curtain, if necessary. 

Great thread.  Got lots of tips!

Here are few things we always bring so we can have the comforts of home!   Keep in mind we usually drive to port, so luggage is not an issue. 

King size pillow from home, fits great on the twin beds, also usually bring a fleece throw blanket for the bed to lay on top of and under! Sometimes we even bring a bathroom rug for the bathroom and also one to put out on the balcony, it is great to stand on!

I also usually  bring my own kleenex with lotion box from home,  much softer than what they provide and I bring a pump soap for the bathroom, can't stand the little bars!     Also, bring some magnets for the outside of the door to find your room easily! 

My next cruise (tomorrow) I am going to bring the suction towel bar to put up for shaving, can't wait to try this hack!

Bon Voyage all! 

I always bring a large trash bag (laundry) as I can put it in the "outside pocket" of my luggage, as well as Zip lock bags, as I never know when they will come in handy to pack things away from purchasing during the cruise.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:00 PM, pyropoodle said:

not really cruise specific, buuttt...I usually toss a few dryer sheets into my luggage so when I open my suitcase, my clothes smell nice and fresh and not like they've spent hours in a suitcase. 

Good idea!

On 11/8/2018 at 3:18 PM, monykalyn said:

Taking kids on first cruise (and only my second) next June. This is brilliant. My son is firmly in hangry camp if goes too long without food.

AGREED, this is a great idea!

On 3/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, vbscoot said:

Also one I have heard, but not tried.....you can ask for a banana split in the MDR.

Yes, you can order banana splits from the children's menu. They are small. DH ordered 2 every night in the MDR after dinner. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 9:00 AM, grillinchillin said:

Think of a "hack" as a creative (and legal) way to make something better.

What's yours?

Hi Grillinchillin ☺️

My wife & I have a particular cruise hack that's a little outside of the box; but does meet the (creative & make something better statement) that you listed in your initial post.

We bring a cruise journal along with us for each & every sailing. Prior to going to sleep each evening we discuss the days events, people & names that we met & so on; then we log it all down in the journal.

We've been doing this for over three decades now & have accumulated many journals. When reading through our journals, the strolls down memory lane are so wonderful. In some ways more entertaining & insightful than the photo's or video's we have collected over the years.

Even picking out/purchasing the journal prior to the sailing has become a fun task in itself.

To us, it is another way, an interesting creative way, to save, document & also relive our voyages...

🌴

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 6

Bring an extra (empty) tote bag (or two). Use for beach days, carry all, last minute purchases, and/or things that just won't fit back into your luggage when it's time to go.

When my kids were smaller, I would order room service breakfast - just a pot of coffee and some Danish, so I could enjoy a quiet breakfast while they slept a little later. I'd read on the balcony or just watch the morning show. Then when they were up, we'd go to "real" breakfast in dining room or on Lido.

I have brought Tervis tumblers for my drinks, but every time I've brought one, it's gotten stolen on deck -- or maybe thrown away? Either way, they've never turned up in lost & found. So maybe bring an old or cheaper version. 

I loved the idea of bringing your own waffle cones. I probably wouldn't do that myself, but I do have one son who's gluten free, so maybe I'll bring him some GF cones this year. 

Create your very own wifi network right from within your stateroom.
All you need to do is pack a wireless travel router, like this one
Once on the ship, set the device to “bridge mode.” Then it can be paired to the cruise wifi network to create a new mini wireless network right within your cruise cabin. 
Essentially it acts as a wifi repeater, allowing you to connect all your devices using only one wifi package.
Doing this cruise wifi hack works particularly well if you have an unlimited wifi package during your cruise. 
Set up your own localized network in your cabin and just let it run during the entire length of your cruise. Then you can connect as many phones, tablets, and laptops as you’d like. 
All of those devices will remain connected whenever you’re in your stateroom.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1