What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

5 hours ago, amyj23 said:

Ewwwww. Who sits?! It’s called hovering!!!!

EWWWWW.   I hate hoverers who pee all over the seat and the floor.  Good for you.  Bad for the next people trying not to step in your mess.   I KNOW .. it isn't you that does that.  YOU have perfect aim.   But it is hoverers.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

One of the best hacks I have found is to take one of $5 emergency lights you get a Big Lots or any discount store. I found the one with a light switch works best. Then glue a magnet to the back and stick it inside the bathroom just inside the door.  This way you do not have to turn on the bathroom light and wake others up in your cabin.  Plenty bright to see what you are doing.

Edited by FL-Cruzer
added
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, FL-Cruzer said:

One of the best hacks I have found is to take one of $5 emergency lights you get a Big Lots or any discount store. I found the one with a light switch works best. Then glue a magnet to the back and stick it inside the bathroom just inside the door.  This way you do not have to turn on the bathroom light and wake others up in your cabin.  Plenty bright to see what you are doing.

Bless your heart for getting back on topic! 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

It’s not a hack but my DW and myself love ice. So we always bring a soft sided cooler and ask our room steward to keep it full. 

We do give a little extra cash tip and they have always taken care of it for us

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, wo5m said:

If you have a cabin with a Balcony and need to quickly cool the room or quickly purge the... um... fumes from a recent bathroom visit, prop the balcony door fully open and then open your cabin door for a few seconds. The positive pressure from the inside part of the ship will blow your cabin air(and lose papers if your not careful) out the balcony.  

I'm taking Poo Pouri

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NovCruisin said:

Who said anything about sitting on toilets spreading Norovirus? 😕 You're conflating two separate statements.

Just because germs are everything (thank you Captain Obvious) doesn't mean you can't attempt to minimize your exposure; e.g. washing your hands, using paper seat covers on public toilets, using paper towels on sink knobs and to open doors.

The germiest places are those that people touch frequently with their hands

Not sure if this one was stated yet, download offline maps for the ports through google maps I'm going to be in. Just like to have the option of having the map of the area and not use my cell data. Its free and you can delete it after you get back

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, LadyMac72 said:

I've heard of people using a shoe organizer... but what do you put in there?

I have one with clear pockets so I can put all kinds of things in it and see them to find them . Toiletries, shoes, jewelry, sign and sail cards when not in use, deck of cards, hats, sticky notes/pens, sunscreen... things that would otherwise be cluttering the room.

• Like 4

On 1/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, Allura_317 said:

Here are a few from the top of my head:

1. Get a side a peanut butter with melting cake (if you don't have a nut allergy...)

Tried this once. Can't remember which ship (Conquest, maybe). They had no idea what I was talking about. Of course, this was the same ship where they told me I couldn't get Sangria onboard.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:49 AM, SlobMike said:

Not sure if this one was stated yet, download offline maps for the ports through google maps I'm going to be in. Just like to have the option of having the map of the area and not use my cell data. Its free and you can delete it after you get back

Thanks for the reminder. On my upcoming trip, I am doing San Juan on my own and will definitely need a map.

• Like 1

I carefully cut between the double stitching and recut into smaller 2x3 pockets or 2x3 pockets groups. Then I sew ribbon loops on top . You can hang by suctions cup hooks all over the cabin. I have one on the bath, desk and full mirror. Perfect for all those easy to loose items. And they lay flat in the suitcase 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, amyj23 said:

Hence why I use a paper towel to turn sinks off and open doors. 😂 

I regularly wash the very tap I just turned on with my grungey hand

with soapy lather on my hands -then rinse it off, as well as my hands..

so when I turn the tap off

I know it's a clean, germ-free tap! -I just washed it.

Now...the door handle as you exit the rest room...that's another matter!! lol

3 hours ago, GMRPHRN said:

Tried this once. Can't remember which ship (Conquest, maybe). They had no idea what I was talking about. Of course, this was the same ship where they told me I couldn't get Sangria onboard.

That happened to me on the last cruise, too! Once they learned what peanut butter was they brought it every time. ☺️

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, crooooze said:

I also make my own chilled coffee drink, by scooping a tablespoon of powdered cocoa from the top of the hot chocolate dispenser, stirring it into hot coffee, then pouring over a yellow or green plastic cup of ice... Make sure the Lido staff don’t see you doing this 🙂

To those who got their underwear in a bunch over this - Relax! IT...WAS... A... JOKE.... Geeeeeez

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bring a couple of laundry pods and dryer sheets.  I do laundry about half way through the cruise that way I only have to pack half as much stuff.

Also I bring pant hangers because there is never enough in the closets, also works to hang up the bathing suit to dry.

• Like 1

We treat ourselves each morning with a nice Iced Latte, no sugar, from the coffee bar (free if you have cheers) pour them into our large insulated tumblers, then go order a frozen Mudslide from the bar and pour half into each tumbler! It's a nice, not-too-sweet morning coffee treat! Once we get to know the bartenders, they usually pour it right into our tumblers!

• Like 3