ship's A/C

Rossey

I'm getting clothes together for a 12/1 cruise on Oosterdam.  In general are the public rooms on the cooler or warmer side?  I don't want to pack evening blouses with long sleeves if I'm going to roast.  Thanks for any input.

I always pack my one long cashmere stole to to carry with me onboard once I get a feel for the public room temperatures. Don't forget staff comfort while they are working is important too, esp in the main dining room.  They will want it more on the cool side, but regular clothes are usually just fine - don't dress for hot outdoor temperatures while being inside the ship.

There are also cool spots in the showroom where the ventilation comes in from I guess the ceiling - learn to spot and avoid those.  Ongoing joke was the coolness of the Wajang on our last Maasdam cruise - people were actually bringing their lap rugs to the movies.  The ship shops also sell cover-ups if you don't have the right things packed. Or pick up something cheap on shore - great souvenir. 

We have never had problems adjusting cabin temperature - but it does  take a while before you notice the effect. And the range of "official" cabin temperatures may be higher than one's own personal preferences when it is really hot outdoors - they think 75 degrees is normal; not 68 degrees for cabin temperatures. which others may prefer.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thanks all for the input.  I know cool and warm are subjective, so I guess the best way to deal with it is a wrap as suggested or layers.  I'm so looking forward to this trip that I can adjust to anything.  Thanks again.

On our recent (3 weeks ago) cruise on the Zuiderdam, the cabin temps varied alot.  We never did figure out how to make the thermostat work correctly.  Hot - Cold - Hot, etc.  Never experienced this variance on other HAL ships.

Edited by DaveOKC

On all Vista and Signature Class vessels, the Explorers Lounge and Lincoln Centre Stage is a real fridge! Especially next to the wall painting.

on the same ships, Fincantieri had the “great” idea to put the airconditioning vents right over the bed, resulting in a constant wind blowing into ones face. 

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

On all Vista and Signature Class vessels . . . Fincantieri had the “great” idea to put the airconditioning vents right over the bed, resulting in a constant wind blowing into ones face. 

Oh no!!! We will be sailing on Zuiderdam next year.  Any cold air blowing on my head makes me sick, medically.  Sometimes a sinus infection.   I was miserable from the same thing on a celebrity cruise many years ago.  At least I've now been forewarned.  Except . . . this did not happen  on The a Nieuw Amsterdam earlier this year. Air blew out somewhere else, or I would have been ill.  Hmmmm.......

Edited by Walfam

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

On all Vista and Signature Class vessels ... Fincantieri had the “great” idea to put the airconditioning vents right over the bed, resulting in a constant wind blowing into ones face. 

Fincantieri didn't design or make the staterooms. They just installed them.

There are two ventilation features I notice in the cabins on the older, smaller ships.

One shallow rectangular box in the center of the ceiling between  the seating are and the bed and definitely not directly over the bed. And some venting panels up high on the end of the cabin wall next to the closet and entry foyer, also not directly over the bed.

Don't know which one does what, but we have never noticed any air blasting directly at the bed. 

4 hours ago, Walfam said:

Oh no!!! We will be sailing on Zuiderdam next year.  Any cold air blowing on my head makes me sick, medically.  Sometimes a sinus infection.   I was miserable from the same thing on a celebrity cruise many years ago.  At least I've now been forewarned.  Except . . . this did not happen  on The a Nieuw Amsterdam earlier this year. Air blew out somewhere else, or I would have been ill.  Hmmmm.......

Personally, I wouldn't stress it over it too much.. :classic_smile:

I just spent 26 days on the O and it seemed every where was cold until you walked passed a HOT blast. Then you couldn't find it.

Seems the thermostat in our room was worthless. A steady rotation of blowing hot and then blowing cold. No in between. Constant!