Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

41 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Remember reading that Royal made certain guarantees to Port Authority of NY/NJ in order to obtain funding for terminal improvements.  Believe one was that a Q class ship would be permanently based there.  Doubt PANYNJ would be happy with reduction in port charges if Royal replaced Anthem (4200 passengers double occupancy) with Adventure (3100) or even a Freedom class (3600) for an extended period.

Truly an excellent post. This is a VERY good point. Sounds like the new Quantum Ultra Class ship might be in store...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rothschilda said:

I don’t believe that is true. However, even if it was, the cruise terminal is also not equipped to handle Oasis Class ships. 

Seriously?  The terminal easily handles the Quantum class.  It's not a large leap to the Oasis class.

I believe that this is false.

But Oasis class ships are warm climate ships.  That's a bigger reason that one wouldn't come to Bayonne.

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Seriously?  The terminal easily handles the Quantum class.  It's not a large leap to the Oasis class.

But Oasis class ships are warm climate ships.  That's a bigger reason that one wouldn't come to Bayonne.

Yes, seriously. The Quantum Class ships BARELY make it under the bridge, and that’s when they take on water in the lowest deck to ensure clearance. With the Oasis Class ships being a full two decks higher than the Quantum Class ships (18 decks vs. 16 decks), that is a tremendous differenece. The gross tonnage is also a significant jump (225,282 tons vs. 167,800 tons — that’s 114,964,000 lbs. difference). And last, but certainly not least, the Oasis Class ships can hold 5400 passengers, while the Quantum Class ships hold 4180 passengers (almost 25% more). The difference between these two classes of ships is more than just one being cold-weather ready!!

6 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Someone corrected me on the other thread that in fact the oasis class can fit under the Verrazano 

I believe that is only if they were able to retract their funnels.  While their funnels did retract once just after they were built I’m not sure that they have remained operational.

27 minutes ago, rothschilda said:

Yes, seriously. The Quantum Class ships BARELY make it under the bridge, and that’s when they take on water in the lowest deck to ensure clearance. With the Oasis Class ships being a full two decks higher than the Quantum Class ships (18 decks vs. 16 decks), that is a tremendous differenece. The gross tonnage is also a significant jump (225,282 tons vs. 167,800 tons — that’s 114,964,000 lbs. difference). And last, but certainly not least, the Oasis Class ships can hold 5400 passengers, while the Quantum Class ships hold 4180 passengers (almost 25% more). The difference between these two classes of ships is more than just one being cold-weather ready!!

I still believe that the new terminal at Cape Liberty could handle an Oasis class ship, which was the topic.  But I don't think that one is coming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I've sailed from Bayonne a half dozen times and agree passenger should not be a problem in Bayonne. It can't be any worse than FFL.  By the way, I'm sure an Oasis class can sail for 5-6 months from Bayonne.

Anyone shooting for an Icon class in '22.:classic_biggrin:

4180 passenger count for Anthem is based on double occupancy.  During summer months she sails close to max capacity of 4905.  That's only 10% fewer than Oasis' 5400.  Our sailing last July was at max capacity thanks to kids sail free promo, and while there was a long queue of traffic on the pier check-in proceeded smoothly.

52 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

4180 passenger count for Anthem is based on double occupancy.  During summer months she sails close to max capacity of 4905.  That's only 10% fewer than Oasis' 5400.  Our sailing last July was at max capacity thanks to kids sail free promo, and while there was a long queue of traffic on the pier check-in proceeded smoothly.

Much like your comment, the 5400 number is also based upon double occupancy. An Oasis Class Ship at Maximum Capacity can hold 8300+ people.

22 minutes ago, rothschilda said:

Much like your comment, the 5400 number is also based upon double occupancy. An Oasis Class Ship at Maximum Capacity can hold 8300+ people.

ummmmmm………………………………...

4 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Oasis is ~6,300 pax (max) + ~2,400 crew.

yes.  🙂 

3 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Absolutely. 

It would NOT fit under the Verrazano Bridge. An Oasis Class ship will NOT be in Cape Liberty until they find a way to lower the ship enough to make it under the bridge. The biggest complication are their funnels.

8 minutes ago, rothschilda said:

It would NOT fit under the Verrazano Bridge. An Oasis Class ship will NOT be in Cape Liberty until they find a way to lower the ship enough to make it under the bridge. The biggest complication are their funnels.

I agree with you that an Oasis class ship will not be coming to Cape Liberty any time soon if ever. They could fit under the Verrazano IF they lowered the funnels. They are not going to do that every week. No shot. 

I was just referring to the terminal itself. It could definitely handle an Oasis class ship even at max capacity. 

Edited by Yorkvillain

3 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

I agree with you that an Oasis class ship will not be coming to Cape Liberty any time soon if ever. They could fit under the Verrazano IF they lowered the funnels. They are not going to do that every week. No shot. 

I was just referring to the terminal itself. It could definitely handle an Oasis class ship even at max capacity. 

I don’t know if the terminal could even handle it either to be honest. I might be able to, but maybe not. Just look what they had to do to accommodate Symphony in Miami. They built an entirely new terminal just for this one ship. Granted, it is one big ass ship, but still an Oasis Class ship like the others. Don’t think an Oasis Class ship will ever be in Bayonne. But a Quantum Ultra Class seems entirely possible.

18 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

To further York’s accurate comments, Oasis and Allure funnels have no chance of retracting after their scrubbers were added at their dry docks. Even if the original stacks could functionally retract, the added scrubbers can’t.  Harmony and Symphony were never designed to retract from the beginning.

At their current designs none of the four can currently fit. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

News from Anthem.  An officer said that there is talk of dredging for an Oasis class ship in Bayonne.  Heard this one myself — not second hand info.  Second hand info — a Captain, not named, has talked of being able to lower the stacks on an Oasis class ship for Bayonne.  We shall see.

5 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

News from Anthem.  An officer said that there is talk of dredging for an Oasis class ship in Bayonne.  Heard this one myself — not second hand info.  Second hand info — a Captain, not named, has talked of being able to lower the stacks on an Oasis class ship for Bayonne.  We shall see.

This is all new info for me, but that is VERY exciting!

3 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

It would have to be the next Oasis Class ship, unless the scrubbers are rebuilt to retract at their next dry docks.  For some reason I see an Oasis Class ship in Huston before one is in Bayonne. 

That being said I’d sail Oasasi Class out of NYC if it was a possibility, but I think MM nailed it. Oasis Class would only work there in the summer. Dredging and adapting ships for half the season sure seems like a lot of work for that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rothschilda said:

Gross tonnage of a ship isn't about weight; it's about enclosed volume. It's part of a measuring system of the carrying capacity of a ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_tonnage

32 minutes ago, rothschilda said:

I don’t know if the terminal could even handle it either to be honest. I might be able to, but maybe not. Just look what they had to do to accommodate Symphony in Miami. They built an entirely new terminal just for this one ship. Granted, it is one big ass ship, but still an Oasis Class ship like the others. Don’t think an Oasis Class ship will ever be in Bayonne. But a Quantum Ultra Class seems entirely possible.

They built the new terminal in Miami because Miami never had a terminal that could accommodate Oasis class.  When Oasis class was being built, RC invested in the new terminal in Port Everglades.

Symphony is the first Oasis class ship to homeport in Miami.

15 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

My opinion, I don't want a new ship.  RCI seems to think a 50% premium is fair for a new and improved ship.

Anthem for me is just fine.

Totally appreciate that sentiment as well. But would be nice to see what’s in store. I do love Adventute though and wouldn’t mind having a Freedom Class ship come back to Bayonne!

22 hours ago, rothschilda said:

Umm FYI - this is wrong.  GRT has nothing to do with weight.