Dyson AirWrap does NOT work onboard

My significant other brought hers on Mariner in January 2022, plugged it in at the desk, and it worked for one day. It stopped working completely after that (on the ship and at home). Luckily it was still returnable since it was brand new. But it sounds like others were able to get it to work on the same ship so YMMV?

Edited by scubagoober

7 hours ago, topnole said:

Probably need to resurrected because it sounds like someone is going to start a fire at some point.  

in addition, I sure hope no one tries using an extension cord while using one of these on a ship.  The hazard seems high enough already.  

From my research, there is no fire hazard from the Dyson products.  I believe that the problems with Dyson products is that they use electronics to convert the AC power from the outlet to the DC power the dryer motor needs.  Also, I suspect the heating element is a PTC ceramic element (and this applies to many hair straighteners that I'm hearing reports of failure on ships about), and this also uses electronic circuits.  These electronics apparently need to have the "ground" and "neutral" wires at the outlet to be at the same voltage.  While this is almost universal on land, it is not so on ships, and is also the reason that surge protectors don't work, and are a fire hazard.  However, the Dyson and/or ceramic hair appliances don't pose the same hazard, they just won't work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was thinking about bringing my Roomba.  Will it work?😂

Id like to bring a space heater and a portable AC unit in case I get hot or cold while using my dyson vacuum? Will a standard extension cord be fine for this?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

From my research, there is no fire hazard from the Dyson products.  I believe that the problems with Dyson products is that they use electronics to convert the AC power from the outlet to the DC power the dryer motor needs.  Also, I suspect the heating element is a PTC ceramic element (and this applies to many hair straighteners that I'm hearing reports of failure on ships about), and this also uses electronic circuits.  These electronics apparently need to have the "ground" and "neutral" wires at the outlet to be at the same voltage.  While this is almost universal on land, it is not so on ships, and is also the reason that surge protectors don't work, and are a fire hazard.  However, the Dyson and/or ceramic hair appliances don't pose the same hazard, they just won't work. 

From other reading, I suspect that the Dyson convert the AC single phase to DC, then provide 3 phase AC to the motor.  With such a setup there is very precise control of speed and power of the motor.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, poocher said:

Boy this thread makes me happy my hair requires nothing more than a comb, my fingers and a few spritzes of non aerosol hairspray!!

boy this makes me happy that I am balding so I just shave my head.  no dryer, no comb, no fingers required.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SRF said:

From other reading, I suspect that the Dyson convert the AC single phase to DC, then provide 3 phase AC to the motor.  With such a setup there is very precise control of speed and power of the motor.

The Dyson "digital motor" is a "switched reluctance motor", which uses DC to switch on/off coils around the rotor in sequence, dragging the rotor's magnetic core around to line up with each set of coils in turn.

Since partial ground faults are a feature of life onboard ships, the voltage between the neutral and ground can vary at any given time, so there may be times where the ground and neutral are at the same voltage, and the Dyson's electronics accept that.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The Dyson "digital motor" is a "switched reluctance motor", which uses DC to switch on/off coils around the rotor in sequence, dragging the rotor's magnetic core around to line up with each set of coils in turn.

Since partial ground faults are a feature of life onboard ships, the voltage between the neutral and ground can vary at any given time, so there may be times where the ground and neutral are at the same voltage, and the Dyson's electronics accept that.

We are saying that same thing about how they work, but differently. 😄

Basically a 3 phase motor, but driven by pulsed DC rather than AC.  By using pulsed DC, they can easily vary the speed of the motor.  When they don't have to be 3 phase, most are, but with multiples of 3 poles.

These are used in model aircraft and drones.  And early use of them was floppy drives in computers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, chengkp75 said:

Which would explain why on Symphony currently my Dyson dryer is working approximately 15% of the time. I wonder what the Captain will think when this thing comes whizzing by his position on the bridge?! 🤨 

• Haha 1

so...just so I am clear the Dyson dryer doesn't work either, its not just the hair wrap? The bigger question is If Dyson can invent a game changer on hair appliances why can't they fix this?

noooo. Dyson takes hair drying to a whole new level. No frizzes. I'm just thankful I learned this info because the dryer with all attachments are heavy and takes considerable space in suitcase. Shoes would be left out if not enough space.

Seriously though buy your bride one for Christmas. She will love it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IEHL said:

so...just so I am clear the Dyson dryer doesn't work either, its not just the hair wrap? The bigger question is If Dyson can invent a game changer on hair appliances why can't they fix this?

They could.  If they saw it as a need.

But the total number of customers that take those products on board is very small.

And, would you stop buying their products because they don't work on the ship????

Probably not, so no real upside to them spending the money to engineer and change the production.

• Like 1