Carnival Launches New Sea Day "American Brunch" Menu on Carnival Horizon Today

brilliantseas

22 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I'm thinking it's soaked in fruit juice, in this case probably peach or maybe orange, laid out in single layers on sheet pans and refrigerated in the walk in coolers for half a day. Or more likely they just call it that and splash some juice on the bread and call it a day :classic_smile:

What a thought.  Soak a piece of bread in anything for twelve hours and who needs a garbage disposal?

Just now, bury me at sea said:

What a thought.  Soak a piece of bread in anything for twelve hours and who needs a garbage disposal?

It's not as bad as it sounds. This is a common breakfast item served on catering menus in U.S. hotel properties. They use thick sliced french bread to make it. Why the negativity?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

It's not as bad as it sounds. This is a common breakfast item served on catering menus in U.S. hotel properties. They use thick sliced french bread to make it. Why the negativity?

Because I can picture bread soaked in any liquid for twelve hours.

4 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Looks good, but they took away the Mac and Cheese! I tried it with the fried chicken added in on my last Carnival cruise, and was really impressed with it. Sad to see it gone, but looking forward to trying the new menu on Horizon in a few weeks. 

Mac and cheese is on the kids menu.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

I’m very sad about the Mac n cheese. I’ll live, but hopefully they will be slow to introduce this to the other ships so I can have it one last time next spring on the Conquest. 

The pancetta scrambled sounds into, though. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

We were hoping they would give the brunch menu an update and we got our wish! It looks really good to us and I hope it makes it to the Sunshine by the time we cruise next year. We will have 3 sea days to enjoy it if it does! 

19 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I am relieved to see the steak and eggs entree is still included.

New for-pay "options" so often have simultaneously eliminated old favorites that were previously included.

I thought for sure the steak and eggs would be gone. Glad to see it is still there. Hopefully, I can still get the bearnaise sauce. 

The burgers also look interesting

1 hour ago, quickrate said:

I like the new menu. I wonder how long it will take them to roll it out to the rest of the ships?

Pat

I've been told that this menu is in the "testing" phase on Horizon only so it may see changes before it rolls out fleet wide. 

As for the request to try the skillet cake, it is on my agenda this morning. 

• Like 1

...and here you have it, the skillet cake. Think of it as a triple thick pancake with a sweet sauce and some sort of crumble on top, along with what appear to be house-made marshmallow squares and ricotta cheese. They serve it with syrup, but it is not needed as it is plenty sweet already. Mine was maybe just a tiny bit doughy inside? I ordered it with a side of bacon and the chia seed pudding with coconut milk and topped with banana and strawberry. 

The skillet cake was decent for what it was, but I'm not in a hurry to order it again. I did not care for the ricotta cheese, although it seems to be a popular accompaniment to gourmet style pancakes these days. 

After trying this menu twice, I can't help but wonder if their corporate chefs have been dining a lot at First Watch lately, as that is what both of my meals reminded me of. The frittata was excellent, easily beating what I've had from chains like First Watch on land, and the parfait and chia seed pudding were both good as well. The only misses were the skillet cake and the brunch potatoes, in my opinion. 

Although I did not try one, Carnival is clearly pushing the cold pressed juices hard, as both the hostess and the servers tried to upsell me from the free orange juice. No word as to whether the juices are available on the Cheers plan or with your free gold/platinum/diamond free drink coupon, although the coupon does not mention juice? 

If you are onboard the Carnival Horizon in the next few weeks, be sure to stop back on this thread and let us know what you think of the new American Brunch menu?

20181110_134309.jpg

20181110_134140.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

...and here you have it, the skillet cake. Think of it as a triple thick pancake with a sweet sauce and some sort of crumble on top, along with what appear to be house-made marshmallow squares and ricotta cheese. They serve it with syrup, but it is not needed as it is plenty sweet already. Mine was maybe just a tiny bit doughy inside? I ordered it with a side of bacon and the chia seed pudding with coconut milk and topped with banana and strawberry. 

The skillet cake was decent for what it was, but I'm not in a hurry to order it again. I did not care for the ricotta cheese, although it seems to be a popular accompaniment to gourmet style pancakes these days. 

After trying this menu twice, I can't help but wonder if their corporate chefs have been dining a lot at First Watch lately, as that is what both of my meals reminded me of. The frittata was excellent, easily beating what I've had from chains like First Watch on land, and the parfait and chia seed pudding were both good as well. The only misses were the skillet cake and the brunch potatoes, in my opinion. 

Although I did not try one, Carnival is clearly pushing the cold pressed juices hard, as both the hostess and the servers tried to upsell me from the free orange juice. No word as to whether the juices are available on the Cheers plan or with your free gold/platinum/diamond free drink coupon, although the coupon does not mention juice? 

If you are onboard the Carnival Horizon in the next few weeks, be sure to stop back on this thread and let us know what you think of the new American Brunch menu?

20181110_134309.jpg

20181110_134140.jpg

On 11/9/2018 at 2:17 PM, coevan said:

The only omission I loved was the Corned Beef Hash

23 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Me too.:classic_sad: Maybe they'll bring it back at the buffet.

A couple years ago we noticed the corned beef hash (served in the dining room) changed.  Didn't taste as good and looked more like a hockey puck.  When we inquired, were told they were now cooking in some sort of cooking ring (egg ring) which to us totally changed the texture and taste.  They server said many people didn't like the new way.  We don't recall how but the server said they were cooking it differently.  We saw the writing on the wall that corned beef hash may get cut.