Any bloggers in Jan 2019?

dritan

We're doing the World Cruise on Regent in 2020.  Our travel agent checked with them and was told we should allow for 12-15 blank pages.   My current passport has fewer than that, so I will get a new one (with 52 pages)  even though it it doesn't expire until 2027.  Oh well.  I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

17 hours ago, baz48 said:

We're doing the World Cruise on Regent in 2020.  Our travel agent checked with them and was told we should allow for 12-15 blank pages.   My current passport has fewer than that, so I will get a new one (with 52 pages)  even though it it doesn't expire until 2027.  Oh well.  I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

I'll have to wait and see until mid-2020.  My current passport is good until 2026 and has quite a few blanks (since it's only 2 years old), but fingers crossed it will be enough.  Not much travel in the interim, so maybe.

I’d you happen to have a visa in your old passport book that is still valid, just remember to bring both books.  For me, just one more thing I’m afraid I’ll lose or forget..  packing for our RTW that leaves in a few weeks.  Going just a little crazy...

I can totally relate to the going crazy part! I go through that every fall and spring when we go south for the winter, and come back north in the spring.  But it's not quite as bad as you guys since keeping in touch is still possible and we can forward our mail.  But I can kind of imagine what you're going through.

What shots did you have to get?  In the past we've had yellow fever (expired, but don't need it next time), malaria pills for some loations, twinrix (hep a/b), the usual boosters like tetanus.  Plus we tried Dukoral for traveller's tummy (only mitigates, doesn't prevent.)

On 12/16/2018 at 12:34 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What shots did you have to get?  In the past we've had yellow fever (expired, but don't need it next time), malaria pills for some loations, twinrix (hep a/b), the usual boosters like tetanus.  Plus we tried Dukoral for traveller's tummy (only mitigates, doesn't prevent.)

We have had all of the above + a few others. We take our detailed itinerary, including any inland shore excursions we are planning to a local travel clinic. We get a consultation with the travel doc, where DW (retired Trauma RN) does all the talking. I just roll up both sleeves and let the nurse get to work.

Latest I read on Yellow Fever, is that it is no longer only valid for 10 years - now valid for life. Not sure if the older vaccinations are considered as good for life, or whether we will require another booster. Will have that discussion next year, just before the cruise in 2020.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:34 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm going through getting immunizations now.  Had the flu shot last month and theTdap was 6 yrs ago so still good.  My employer requires them, plus I just had a negative TB test.  I was going to go to a travel clinic, but the initial fee was $80 then each immunization cost $150-400!  And they did not accept insurance.  So.....I decided to go to my local CVS Minute Clinic.  My insurance covers anything and everything at CVS.  The nurse practitioner and pharmacist consulted with me (using the CDC guidelines) and we decided to go with the Twinrix (Hep A & B combo) which is 3 shots in 30 days, Prevnar-13 pneumonia shot, and Typhoid Fever capsules (took 4 capsules, 1 every other day).  I wanted a polio booster and cholera vaccine, but they didn't recommend it.  I had the Hep B series about 25 years ago so they thought it was wise to just get it again instead of running a titre and next year I'll get the Prevnar-23 shot.  Our cruise is not going anywhere that Yellow Fever is an issue so didn't get that.  Decided against malaria meds cuz they can have nasty side effects....will use DEET spray on skin and Permethrin spray on clothing for areas with mosquitos.  I have pretty sore arms right now, but am glad to be able to get these before leaving.

9 hours ago, Two4Sea said:

Hi Andy

Our 10 year yellow fever shots expired this month. When we visited Travel Medicine on the North Shore last month they said "good for life".

Bill

Thanks Bill - have already had 3 of them, so good to know that is 1 less in the future.

12 hours ago, Two4Sea said:

Hi Andy

Our 10 year yellow fever shots expired this month. When we visited Travel Medicine on the North Shore last month they said "good for life".

Bill

Oh, that's very good to know!  Ours expired a couple of years ago (although I don't think we need them on our upcoming itinerary.)

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Oh, that's very good to know!  Ours expired a couple of years ago (although I don't think we need them on our upcoming itinerary.)

Although now considered good for life, if you are going to a country that requires the yellow fever vaccine be sure to take the yellow booklet that shows you have had it.  Usually the cruise line will not even let you on the ship unless you have the booklet or the doctor's note specifying why you were not a good candidate for the shot.

13 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Although now considered good for life, if you are going to a country that requires the yellow fever vaccine be sure to take the yellow booklet that shows you have had it.  Usually the cruise line will not even let you on the ship unless you have the booklet or the doctor's note specifying why you were not a good candidate for the shot.

Funny story.  We got our "yellow booklets" about 12 years ago when we were going on a cruise that started in Rio.  Although it was NOT going anywhere where the disease was endemic, the cruise line insisted.  As we packed up in our hotel in Rio prior to boarding, I realized that I had lost my vaccination booklet, probably slipped out at the airport.  I was beside myself with worry and thought about all kinds of contingency plans like getting another shot, getting proof from my doctor (it was the weekend), etc.  When we got to the dock to board,  with me sweating buckets, we just handed our passports over, David with his yellow booklet inside, mine without.  They never said ONE WORD about it.  Since then we haven't been anywhere where it was required, and I don't think we will be on this cruise, but I can always get proof--I just haven't bothered getting a duplicate.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for returning to the "World Cruise Blog" topic and thank you to those who've shared urls which will give me the vicarious pleasure of cruising in January (we have to wait till April for our next cruise).  I've already got several bookmarks to follow and would appreciate more if anyone cares to share?!

I was interested to follow the blog conversation above, since I write a blog most of the time, though I do go a bit into overdrive when we are travelling.  I started out with Blogger and did ok until I wanted a bit more control than it gave me.  I also used Wordpress for another blog I maintained for an organisation I belong to and echo everything Keith and others have said about its complexity and advertising.  In terms of simplicity and accessibility, Blogger wins every time IMHO.  However, I now use (and pay for) my blog to be hosted by Squarespace, which offers everything I want and the security of content ownership!  I started my blog in 2006 and would hate to lose the lot...  

I will add here that I prefer to create the more detailed content of my personal blog to "live posts" here - simply because I blog for myself and my family primarily - if anyone else would care to read, then I'm delighted to share, of course.  I want to keep those details to look back on and remember and don't want to scroll through pages and pages of other posts to get to my bit.  Yes, I know that I can filter posts, but my family and friends don't use CC and wouldn't see anything here as things stand.  I also prefer to read and follow a standalone blog, mostly because being a bear of little brain, I find it more comfortable to read posts from one single voice rather than a group conversation (though that has its advantages in other ways) 

Just chiming in with my 2p worth, of course....hope you don't mind!  

7 hours ago, Gilly said:

Forgive me for returning to the "World Cruise Blog" topic and thank you to those who've shared urls which will give me the vicarious pleasure of cruising in January (we have to wait till April for our next cruise).  I've already got several bookmarks to follow and would appreciate more if anyone cares to share?!

I was interested to follow the blog conversation above, since I write a blog most of the time, though I do go a bit into overdrive when we are travelling.  I started out with Blogger and did ok until I wanted a bit more control than it gave me.  I also used Wordpress for another blog I maintained for an organisation I belong to and echo everything Keith and others have said about its complexity and advertising.  In terms of simplicity and accessibility, Blogger wins every time IMHO.  However, I now use (and pay for) my blog to be hosted by Squarespace, which offers everything I want and the security of content ownership!  I started my blog in 2006 and would hate to lose the lot...  

I will add here that I prefer to create the more detailed content of my personal blog to "live posts" here - simply because I blog for myself and my family primarily - if anyone else would care to read, then I'm delighted to share, of course.  I want to keep those details to look back on and remember and don't want to scroll through pages and pages of other posts to get to my bit.  Yes, I know that I can filter posts, but my family and friends don't use CC and wouldn't see anything here as things stand.  I also prefer to read and follow a standalone blog, mostly because being a bear of little brain, I find it more comfortable to read posts from one single voice rather than a group conversation (though that has its advantages in other ways) 

Thank you for starting this thread. I love reading travel blogs and now I have several links bookmarked!

Already enjoying Scrapnana's South American blog and Keith's pre world cruise cruises. Looking forward to more starting up shortly along with Live threads. 

With the uncertain Brexit landscape I've almost got hubby convinced to ditch the Med in favour of a US based summer cruise. But that will mean no sneaky little trips in the meantime. So these blogs will get me through a wet cold (and stress ridden) London winter.😁👍

• Like 1

I started a "Live From" thread on the Oceania board....feel free to check it out for the next 6 months.  The first embarkation port, NYC, is where the world cruise begins on 1/11/19.  I started the thread a few days early so others can post their preparations. 

Title is:  

“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:46 AM, Go-Bucks! said:

I started a "Live From" thread on the Oceania board....feel free to check it out for the next 6 months.  The first embarkation port, NYC, is where the world cruise begins on 1/11/19.  I started the thread a few days early so others can post their preparations. 

Title is:  

“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Thanks - I spotted that this evening and have got it bookmarked.  See the Insignia arrived in NYC for the start of the world cruise.  Most of the blogs as well seem to be up and running - even the ones that are still in prep mode.  

On 1/3/2019 at 6:39 AM, Gilly said:

I popped by your blog and was intrigued. Is there a way to subscribe to your posts? I didn't see  sign up.

Thanks!

@Aquadesiac (what a great name!)    Thank you for popping by my blog.  I don't generally publicise it beyond friends and family but am always happy to share 😎

I have a long list of blogs I enjoy reading and follow most of them using the Feedly reader, but I think the simplest way to subscribe to my blog is by means of Bloglovin (that link should take you there).

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I'm not blogging, but we have a thread about the 2019 Oceania World Cruise  over on the Oceania board if anyone would be interested in "sailing vicariously" with us!!  🛳️

Thanks for the reminder, hope your are enjoying the first few days.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for the reminder, hope your are enjoying the first few days.

LOVING IT!!!  💝

So far (only 5 sea days at this time), it's been amazing!  We've already had 2 Around the World parties and a huge Super Bowl party with a tailgate buffet.  They are going all out with activities and gifts.  The best part, though, is that we still have many months to go....I'm never ready to go home after a cruise so the feeling of being able to literally live onboard for 6 months is awesome.