Cost of cruising with a one year old?

anjo

Some of you young 'uns on here are very lucky taking your kids cruising on the big ships.  I never could afford it, too expensive 30 or 40 years ago.😭

Above all, enjoy your cruises with the family.

Edited by NSWP

I’ve got a19 and 17 year old who I’ve taken on over 20 cruises, starting at 9 months. Back then very often say with P&O babies up to 2 went free in certain cruises. Children used to be very cheap. I’ve noticed over the years the prices have soared for children because . . . . They can. You have children, you pay for them. 

Ive now got a 2 year old as well and I don’t mind paying however when she was 1 we paid £1,300 to take her on a Southampton cruise. We supplie much of her food and she was too young to be in the kids club.

I’m sailing with a family group, which includes a 12 month old, on HAL next month. There was a reduced fare if sharing with 2 adults or full twin share if sharing with only 1 adult.

It might sound a little unfair for a one year old, but HAL will be catering for her and her food allergies, plus cleaning up after her when she eats as not everything on her plate makes it’s way to her mouth.😄 They are also providing a cot and high chair.

i should say that if her parents had been 1 star Mariners (I.e. one HAL Cruise), a third person in their cabin would have had a 50% reduction. 

Edited by Bescotti

23 hours ago, NSWP said:

Some of you young 'uns on here are very lucky taking your kids cruising on the big ships.  I never could afford it, too expensive 30 or 40 years ago.😭

Above all, enjoy your cruises with the family.

Yep out of our range when the kids were little, but taking them all on one in the near future.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, we paid for our Son, DIL and Granddaughter (11 months) to cruise and she may have has a bit of a bread roll for the whole cruise but it was worth having my son's family travelling with us.

That was mainly for your benefit though I suspect, pretty sure if we ever get grandkids they’ll get kidnapped by Gran and Pop, and taken on the big boat.

a good friends little 4 year old has more days at sea than I do.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

That was mainly for your benefit though I suspect, pretty sure if we ever get grandkids they’ll get kidnapped by Gran and Pop, and taken on the big boat.

a good friends little 4 year old has more days at sea than I do.

Yes, it was my Birthday cruise and I wanted them all to be there. Just talking yesterday that we should be doing another family cruise.

We have taken our family (three couples) on a cruise, but it has got too difficult now that the two older grandchildren are at school. We would have to book a long way in advance to get a child's place on school holiday cruises. One of our sons pointed out that on a ship, we only spend limited time together so he suggested a holiday house.

The last two years we have spent a week at a house at the Sunshine Coast. This takes a lot of research to find the correct house - beachfront, heated pool and enough bedrooms and bathrooms for 8 adults and 5 children. It is also a lot cheaper than taking such a large group on a cruise. 😊We have next year's house booked (a different house) and I have my eye on a couple of possibles for the following year. (Nothing like being organised well ahead:classic_biggrin:.)

55 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have taken our family (three couples) on a cruise, but it has got too difficult now that the two older grandchildren are at school. We would have to book a long way in advance to get a child's place on school holiday cruises. One of our sons pointed out that on a ship, we only spend limited time together so he suggested a holiday house.

The last two years we have spent a week at a house at the Sunshine Coast. This takes a lot of research to find the correct house - beachfront, heated pool and enough bedrooms and bathrooms for 8 adults and 5 children. It is also a lot cheaper than taking such a large group on a cruise. 😊We have next year's house booked (a different house) and I have my eye on a couple of possibles for the following year. (Nothing like being organised well ahead:classic_biggrin:.)

A holiday at the beach, in a beach house, for your extended family sounds like the perfect solution for school holidays.    

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

A holiday at the beach, in a beach house, for your extended family sounds like the perfect solution for school holidays.    

We have a wonderful time. It is a joy watching the young cousins having fun together either on the beach or playing 'soccer'. That is just kicking a ball back and forth. The kids can't wait to go back each year. Even the youngest who turns three this month, can now take part in the fun with the others. For me, it is easy. The three young couples take turns cooking the evening meal.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Good work.

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have a wonderful time. It is a joy watching the young cousins having fun together either on the beach or playing 'soccer'. That is just kicking a ball back and forth. The kids can't wait to go back each year. Even the youngest who turns three this month, can now take part in the fun with the others. For me, it is easy. The three young couples take turns cooking the evening meal.

I remember this was how most of my childhood was holidaying with lots of cousins.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The last two years we have spent a week at a house at the Sunshine Coast. This takes a lot of research to find the correct house - beachfront, heated pool and enough bedrooms and bathrooms for 8 adults and 5 children. It is also a lot cheaper than taking such a large group on a cruise.

Unless the house came fully catered, with staff to provide, prepare and serve food, washup, clean & tidy, make up beds etc I don't think you are making much of an apples and apples comparison. My DW for example would not consider it much of a holiday :classic_smile: