So, we cruised the crazy Nov 3-10 Anthem Itinerary...and

TwoMisfits

The cruise we are booking next is on Anthem, so thanks for your input.  It isn't a Bahamas itinerary, but the New England itinerary for August 2019.  So anyone that can add to this thread about the port stops on the NE sailing would be very appreciated.  We are not new to Royal at all, but still love to read these reviews.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lkneller said:

Wow!  what an interesting review.  thank you for taking the time to post this! 

23 minutes ago, Jgoodall08 said:

Best review ever! Thanks 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, maryjaden said:

Thank you for this review.  It has a lot of really good information.  We are considering a cruise on the Anthem. 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:12 PM, shelnj18 said:

We were also on this cruise. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! Personally, I had a great time! It was my first time on Anthem but not my first time cruising. Now, I'm following in your footsteps....going to fold the second batch of laundry!

On 11/11/2018 at 8:01 AM, aring75 said:

This is all really GREAT information. Thank you for taking the time to write it out. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise! We really like the entertainment options on Anthem too. 😊

On 11/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, sparks1093 said:

Thanks for your thoughts! So looking forward to Anthem!

On 11/11/2018 at 5:26 PM, maddycat said:

What a fantastic review.  Thanks.

Thank you all for all the positive feedback:)...

• Like 1

Thanks for the awesome and detailed review.  This will be our first time on the Anthem.  Our family has 3 rooms and I purchased the photo package.  I was wondering if the pictures from all of us in the 3 rooms would be included for me?  I am so excited to be able to schedule a session too.  Did you tip the photographer?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theonlywaytogo said:

Thanks for the awesome and detailed review.  This will be our first time on the Anthem.  Our family has 3 rooms and I purchased the photo package.  I was wondering if the pictures from all of us in the 3 rooms would be included for me?  I am so excited to be able to schedule a session too.  Did you tip the photographer?

We put all photos taken on my mom's cabin number, so she went home with all the pics (and she gave me the digital versions afterwards)...we were a linked reservation, so I don't know if that's why that was so easy...

I did not tip the photographer, nor did I see anyone do it (no idea if my mom ever did b/c when she was buying photos and packages, I wasn't with her).  We did one of the sessions you find on the ship's public areas (not a private one)...although we picked a photographer who we saw was doing involved pics for folks (thus, even as the 3rd family in line, we waited 20 minutes b/c the photographer was taking 5 different pose shots and doing it for multiple people per family:)...another night, we had hit a photographer who just took group shots in one pose...so YMMV (the night we got all the shots was NOT a formal night, and I think that's why the photographer was taking the time and doing the multishots:)...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theonlywaytogo said:

Our family has 3 rooms and I purchased the photo package.  I was wondering if the pictures from all of us in the 3 rooms would be included for me?

This may be old news, or only apply to photo prints, but the last time I bought a photo package (on Grandeur, with only prints available), only the people in the single cabin listed for the package could include their photos in the package. We got around that a bit by doing a lot of group shots, but any photos of my husband or myself that did not include at least one of the people in the listed cabin were not considered to be part of the package. Even with the linked reservations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motherof said:

This may be old news, or only apply to photo prints, but the last time I bought a photo package (on Grandeur, with only prints available), only the people in the single cabin listed for the package could include their photos in the package. We got around that a bit by doing a lot of group shots, but any photos of my husband or myself that did not include at least one of the people in the listed cabin were not considered to be part of the package. Even with the linked reservations.

Well, that would suck:(...my mom bought her photo package onboard, so I'll have to ask her if she had to talk her way into getting all the pics, or if they were just there for her.

57 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, that would suck:(...my mom bought her photo package onboard, so I'll have to ask her if she had to talk her way into getting all the pics, or if they were just there for her.

Well, I just signed up for the full digital package for my upcoming Anthem cruise, and it still says that the purchase applies only to the the single cabin's occupants. Since Daughterof does not have a friend with her this time, I purchased it under my husband's and my cabin. We'll do lots of group shots. 😍 As long as at least one of us is in the photo with Daughterof, her photos should be included.

• Like 1

Thanks for the awesome review!  You wrote something about kids being able to eat dinner at the Adventure Ocean kids club.  Can you explain this further please?  Hubs and I were thinking about a dinner at Chops, and hopefully without our 8 year old daughter there complaining during the entire meal, ha ha.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sherry7 said:

Thanks for the awesome review!  You wrote something about kids being able to eat dinner at the Adventure Ocean kids club.  Can you explain this further please?  Hubs and I were thinking about a dinner at Chops, and hopefully without our 8 year old daughter there complaining during the entire meal, ha ha.  

It's called "Adventure Dining" on the kids room sheet (my husband didn't toss the kids' Day 4 one - yeah).  It's 5-7pm and requires advance sign ups (but it's free).  At 5:40pm, the kids room takes kids to the Windjammer (having shown up to a 5:15pm Family activity, I know they spend they time after 5pm kids room close consolidating all the different age levels to one room before they go up).  At the Windjammer, they sit with the Youth Staff in a special roped off section and eat. 

HOWEVER, my spouse saw one of the planned dinner menus when he was picking up our boys 1 afternoon...and it is LIMITED and BLAND (at least according to him).  In his words, this was the menu you'd give if you were accommodating every food issue in one meal...and making sure each food passed that test:).  If your kids likes to have any type of choices, spice, or more varied cuisine, this might not be for them:)...

If I were doing a meal at Chops, I'd probably plan for a 7:15pm or 7:30pm meal, and run my kid to get a hot dog or pizza or the buffet before dropping them off at kids room:).  Unless they are happy with limited, plain choices:).  

1 hour ago, philpcruiser said:

Excellent review.  Heading out on Anthem next month. Lots of good pointers to note.

Two questions (from post #8):  1)- What's the "Royal Mystery", and 2)- what was the theme of your escape room? 

1. The royal mystery is almost like solving an escape room from a board game box meets a Whodunit in life size form.  There are acres of puzzles of all different types to solve - some which you can do from a chair and some which you have to get up and find and solve clues for.  That's about as much as I can say without giving it away:).  It was more fun (and difficult) than I thought it would be...and there is plenty of work for those looking to be active and those looking to be stagnant...

PS - It's done in 270 on a sea day afternoon...and 270 will be filled when it runs:)...

2.  The name of the escape room was "Escape from the Future" and outer space plays a role/theme:).

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

1. The royal mystery is almost like solving an escape room from a board game box meets a Whodunit in life size form.  There are acres of puzzles of all different types to solve - some which you can do from a chair and some which you have to get up and find and solve clues for.  That's about as much as I can say without giving it away:).  It was more fun (and difficult) than I thought it would be...and there is plenty of work for those looking to be active and those looking to be stagnant...

PS - It's done in 270 on a sea day afternoon...and 270 will be filled when it runs:)...

2.  The name of the escape room was "Escape from the Future" and outer space plays a role/theme:).

Escape from the future was the theme we did two years ago.  Guess they didn't change it.  Is royal mystery something new?  I don't recall that being offered last time we were on Anthem 

• Like 1

Just now, philpcruiser said:

Escape from the future was the theme we did two years ago.  Guess they didn't change it.  Is royal mystery something new?  I don't recall that being offered last time we were on Anthem 

I'm not sure - it was my 1st Anthem trip.  It's not a "sign up for" or "heavily advertised" activity...if you didn't know better, you'd think it'd be the equivalent of a trivia game, since it's pretty much a single line on the Compass:)... 

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not sure - it was my 1st Anthem trip.  It's not a "sign up for" or "heavily advertised" activity...if you didn't know better, you'd think it'd be the equivalent of a trivia game, since it's pretty much a single line on the Compass:)... 

Thanks again.  We'll definitely be looking for this one.

• Like 1

Hi, TwoMisfits. I really appreciate your review. First of all, we are scheduled to sail on Anthem in couple of month, January. It will be a second time on this ship and your review had a lot of good pointers and reminders. Secondly and most importantly, your attitude is excellent, so positive. I don't see so many reviews with such positive outlooks on these boards. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 8:59 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Thanks for the heads up!  We aren't Escape Room fans, but the Royal Mystery sounds like something DH, DD 14 and DD 12 might enjoy!

And thanks for the all the tips/reviews.  First Anthem trip this summer.  Trying to get girls to go to Teen group just for the private Sea Plex time.  They are usually asleep by the time "things get going" in the teen areas (after 10 pm).

• Like 1