Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
APDMOM

My View: Harmony of the Seas - 8 days of semi-live tips & too many pics!

Recommended Posts

More Views on Deck 4:

7B5036B1-49E8-4414-BAEB-17E734BE498E.thumb.jpeg.bc1b479c147d949bc5ba7aa4313461a4.jpeg

 

A7F5DDF6-4A68-48E0-8D74-F0B59884A5BD.thumb.jpeg.cf5294fbce40fdd3d95a7783a8303405.jpeg

 

96D80C90-705B-4E5B-809A-B3580DFAA974.thumb.jpeg.ee0d974ee1f60b9b372bf4358684b377.jpeg

 

3B0140E2-99B3-43EB-8083-BA90F4D6001B.thumb.jpeg.df07921af9810588febbfb6189e3d9a6.jpeg

 

From Florida... To Namibia

D95DB5F1-B136-4C3E-8860-B73B2C711787.thumb.jpeg.ea00f3540f4b862debcc62e3ac16a33c.jpeg

 

54A90BA7-60CD-4E40-96D1-5AC97806E20B.thumb.jpeg.946d2138703b5325999f19d1b37fe9a6.jpeg

 

Those legs... 😂

D1DE826E-E7E9-4145-B6C3-BA5B5B4469B5.thumb.jpeg.7ce3e3e269b72c679a063754cc3eea63.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Favorite View:  Harmony of the Seas 2018

 

AEBB13D5-9508-4DA9-B5B9-EE5FBD395133.thumb.jpeg.4a323971c493225efc2189297565778b.jpeg

 

Thank you for cruising with us!  See you in one month...boarding Celebrity Equinox on December 22nd.

 

Happy Thanksgiving!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@APDMOM, I am so sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family. 😥🙏 

 

Another terrific review, bravo! 👏👏👏

Edited by accio_7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done APDMOM!

 

Our condolences to you and your family for your loss.

 

Rahn and Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why you want to skip the MDR, but if your family likes lamb chops, it might be worth going when they are on the menu.  My boys ate two orders, each, last spring break.  

 

I enjoyed your review and beautiful photos. 

 

I am am sorry for the loss of your brother.  My sincere condolences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VPIcruiser said:

I understand why you want to skip the MDR, but if your family likes lamb chops, it might be worth going when they are on the menu.  My boys ate two orders, each, last spring break.  

 

Thank you for the tip, VPIcruiser!  I hope they have them on Brilliance.  We will be back to back on a 4-day and 5-day in March, so I don’t know how they handle the menus on shorter cruises.  It has been a while since we tried a shorter cruise!  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved this review, all the details and photos.  Thank you for all the time you have spent sharing your cruise.  My condolences on the loss of your brother.

Did I read it correctly...you paid $3100 (Total) for 3 people for an 8 day cruise.  We seem to pay double that price...from Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this review. Looks like I have some reading to do in the next few days. Harmony is 24 days away. We are taking 53 people with us! Lots of first timers. They want info and I have to provide it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review and photos. We'll be sailing on the Harmony in a few months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 11:52 PM, rsharp83 said:

Just found this review. Looks like I have some reading to do in the next few days. Harmony is 24 days away. We are taking 53 people with us! Lots of first timers. They want info and I have to provide it. 

Hi, guys! 

We were on Oasis with you in 2015!  Will you be doing a Harmony review too?  We will be going back in November...

Enjoy planning!

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Hi, guys! 

We were on Oasis with you in 2015!  Will you be doing a Harmony review too?  We will be going back in November...

Enjoy planning!

🙂

I remember. In fact a person who is cruising with us was reading your review and asked me if I had read the review by APDMOM. And I said, "I know her! She was on Oasis with us in 15" 

 

Thanks for all the good tips in this review by the way. 

 

As for Harmony...I have a group of 53 people (many first timers) going with us. I also have familygoboston sailing with us! We met 6 years ago for my very first cruise on Allure. We have been friends ever since. So she and I are teaming up for "something" live on Harmony. It will likely start under her familygoboston posting because she is arriving a week ahead of the rest of the gang to do some Disney World time. 

 

But, yes there will be a thread but it won't be exactly the traditional review if it goes the way we are thinking about it. Also with 53 people in tow I'll be busy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review and condolences to you and your family.

 

I chuckled as you are doing Harmony -> Equinox -> Seaside and we did the exact opposite (Equinox and Harmony will be B2B this November).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review.  We are booked on Harmony for the first time next June (2020).  Your pictures are awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed reading about your adventures as we will be on Harmony this summer, taking our 12 year old granddaughter on her first cruise. It will be our first time on RCCI or any mega ship, and our first time sailing with a child, so I’m interested to know about your son’s experience. Did he spend much time in the teen club, or did he mostly hang out with you?  I assume you keep in touch through the ship’s WiFi. Are there places or activities on the ship that he particularly liked?  Do you know what the prices are in the arcade? What a smoothie costs?  (I’m trying to figure out how much to allow our granddaughter in daily expenses.).  Also, I thought the solarium, including the bistro, was adult-only. Was your son able to join you for dinner?  Don’t mean to overwhelm you with questions, but I’ll appreciate whatever help you can give me. Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to read another one of your excellent reviews!  Not sure if you remember me but we were onboard Oasis in June 2017 together.  I was with DW, her parents, and her sister's family including 2 young nieces.  Had a great time but since we do things (very) differently when there's no family around, we hopped right back on 3 weeks later when a great last minute price popped up.  I remember using your review to help plan that 2nd cruise even though we had just been on the ship.  🙂  In fact, I linked to your review in my own review's opening paragraph b/c yours had so much more valuable info and pictures...

 

 

 

Anyway, speaking of last minute deals, we had been looking for one for this summer on Harmony (we always sail out of PC since we're an hour from the port) and the prices had been much higher than we're used to... until yesterday... and now we're headed to the Western Caribbean for the 4th time on 6/16 to visit Roatan for the 1st time.  1st time on Harmony as well but having been on Allure once and Oasis twice, it won't be all that new.  I'd actually rather be back on Oasis TBH as the few differences don't really appeal to us but we know we'll have a great time regardless.

 

Well, that was a long winded way of saying hi, thanks, and I remember you, but that's my posting style.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, J80crew said:

I enjoyed reading about your adventures as we will be on Harmony this summer, taking our 12 year old granddaughter on her first cruise. It will be our first time on RCCI or any mega ship, and our first time sailing with a child, so I’m interested to know about your son’s experience. Did he spend much time in the teen club, or did he mostly hang out with you?  I assume you keep in touch through the ship’s WiFi. Are there places or activities on the ship that he particularly liked?  Do you know what the prices are in the arcade? What a smoothie costs?  (I’m trying to figure out how much to allow our granddaughter in daily expenses.).  Also, I thought the solarium, including the bistro, was adult-only. Was your son able to join you for dinner?  Don’t mean to overwhelm you with questions, but I’ll appreciate whatever help you can give me. Thanks.

 

@J80crew I am so sorry that I just now saw this post!  I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread and did not receive any notifications.  I was only stopping here to plan for our upcoming November cruise when I noticed all the posts I had missed.

 

I assume you already went on Harmony, since this is just about the end of summer?  

 

The Solarium Bistro is open for children also.  Only the Solarium is 16 and up, but children were allowed to dine in the Bistro.  

 

Let me know if you went on your cruise yet 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 9:02 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Great to read another one of your excellent reviews!  Not sure if you remember me but we were onboard Oasis in June 2017 together.  I was with DW, her parents, and her sister's family including 2 young nieces.  Had a great time but since we do things (very) differently when there's no family around, we hopped right back on 3 weeks later when a great last minute price popped up.  I remember using your review to help plan that 2nd cruise even though we had just been on the ship.  🙂  In fact, I linked to your review in my own review's opening paragraph b/c yours had so much more valuable info and pictures...

 

 

 

Anyway, speaking of last minute deals, we had been looking for one for this summer on Harmony (we always sail out of PC since we're an hour from the port) and the prices had been much higher than we're used to... until yesterday... and now we're headed to the Western Caribbean for the 4th time on 6/16 to visit Roatan for the 1st time.  1st time on Harmony as well but having been on Allure once and Oasis twice, it won't be all that new.  I'd actually rather be back on Oasis TBH as the few differences don't really appeal to us but we know we'll have a great time regardless.

 

Well, that was a long winded way of saying hi, thanks, and I remember you, but that's my posting style.  Thanks again!

@OCSC Mike  I am sorry I missed your post... somehow got unsubscribed from  my own review 😬

 

Hope you had a GREAT time on Harmony!  I agree that we still prefer Oasis (and Allure).  We are booked on both of those for the next 2 years, but it seems like they will be quite different after the dry docks that are planned/in the works.  Hopefully, they will remain favorites for us.  Actually, my husband has a new favorite: MSC Seaside.  We will be on Meraviglia in December, so the verdict is still out for me.  I loved Seaside, but Royal Caribbean is still my favorite (for the time being) 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, APDMOM said:

@OCSC Mike  I am sorry I missed your post... somehow got unsubscribed from  my own review 😬

 

Hope you had a GREAT time on Harmony!  I agree that we still prefer Oasis (and Allure).  We are booked on both of those for the next 2 years, but it seems like they will be quite different after the dry docks that are planned/in the works.  Hopefully, they will remain favorites for us.  Actually, my husband has a new favorite: MSC Seaside.  We will be on Meraviglia in December, so the verdict is still out for me.  I loved Seaside, but Royal Caribbean is still my favorite (for the time being) 🙂

 

We had a good time as always.  That said, we missed Roatan due to high winds preventing Harmony from docking which really put a damper on the trip since that was the main reason we were going (besides getting a good last minute deal as usual).  We have never been there and my wife really wanted to spend time with the sloths.  We had a private tour booked for the day and planned to make several stops after the sloths/monkeys including a local school for which my teacher wife had collected a giant duffel bag of school supplies for donation.  It was a real bummer but we made the best of it.

 

Enjoy your list of upcoming cruises.  We'll be sticking to Harmony since the one hour drive to Canaveral is just so convenient (and obviously still want to go to Roatan).  Although we'll also be going back to Alaska at some point.  Hopefully sooner than later, but since we would only go if we did a significant land portion like last summer, it's obviously a MUCH more expensive vacation than driving to PC and hopping on Harmony with a good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

 

We had a good time as always.  That said, we missed Roatan due to high winds preventing Harmony from docking which really put a damper on the trip since that was the main reason we were going (besides getting a good last minute deal as usual).  We have never been there and my wife really wanted to spend time with the sloths.  We had a private tour booked for the day and planned to make several stops after the sloths/monkeys including a local school for which my teacher wife had collected a giant duffel bag of school supplies for donation.  It was a real bummer but we made the best of it.

 

Enjoy your list of upcoming cruises.  We'll be sticking to Harmony since the one hour drive to Canaveral is just so convenient (and obviously still want to go to Roatan).  Although we'll also be going back to Alaska at some point.  Hopefully sooner than later, but since we would only go if we did a significant land portion like last summer, it's obviously a MUCH more expensive vacation than driving to PC and hopping on Harmony with a good deal.

 

We hope to stop in Roatan in November.  We will be on the November 10th sailing.  Maybe they will have a price drop so you to join us 🙂 This will be our cheapest Oasis class cruise yet, but we booked well in advance...  $2393 for 3 of us in an ocean balcony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, APDMOM said:

@J80crew I am so sorry that I just now saw this post!  I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread and did not receive any notifications.  I was only stopping here to plan for our upcoming November cruise when I noticed all the posts I had missed.

 

I assume you already went on Harmony, since this is just about the end of summer?  

 

The Solarium Bistro is open for children also.  Only the Solarium is 16 and up, but children were allowed to dine in the Bistro.  

 

Let me know if you went on your cruise yet 🙂

We leave in three weeks, so any tips you have are still appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J80crew said:

We leave in three weeks, so any tips you have are still appreciated!

Oh, you have a treat in store!

 

Unfortunately, I do not have much advice regarding the rest of the questions, especially pricing of the items you mentioned.  

 

Our son does not use the teen programs - mostly hangs out with us, playing mini golf and swimming.  The teen programs on Royal are not quite as structured from my observation and understanding, so it will be helpful if your granddaughter can meet some other teens early on.  Have you checked on your roll call to see if there are other pre-teens around her age?  That is where I would start.

 

If you have iPhones, you can message with the free wifi (if it still works).  That is what we were able to do in November.  You just connect to the free wifi on the ship, and the iPhone texting/messenger app works from one iPhone to another.  Hopefully, Royal has not figured out a way to block this.  😉 Otherwise, you will need a multiple device plan, or use a whiteboard/post it note low tech system.  (Like using a magnetic whiteboard on the cabin door)  You can also call the cabin and leave messages about your whereabouts.  Hope this helps!  🙂 Enjoy your last 3 weeks of planning and packing!  Wish we could go too!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 5:25 PM, APDMOM said:

About this review:

Well, technically the countdown should be saying, “Sailing”, because we are in for 8 days of pampering on Harmony.

 

I will try my best to post more than once a day.  If you have questions or requests, I will try to help out with tips.  We have only the basic Voom (Stream only), so we may not always be able to connect... we will see how it works out. 🙂

 

A little background:

 

We booked this cruise in July 2018 when we found what we considered a good deal for three of us in an oceanview balcony.  I keep a close watch on prices.  As you can see from our spreadsheet, the price never dropped lower than what we paid (refundable fair):

 

The spreadsheet shows dates and prices, then the difference from what we paid, and the last column shows whether the price went up or down from the previous date we checked.  It pays to keep a watchful eye on prices, as you can see it is very unpredictable when they will drop...

 

9E2C96BE-8D15-40A4-88D5-70DA5B01DDA9.thumb.png.6aac1d70718e2c2d53d281c365e7c7f3.png

Awesome review! Like you I love tracking the price for our cruises. I have found out that once  I lock in the Non Refundable price in March for our 22 Night Cruise it never goes down!  I book the Interior Guarantee and Oceanview especially on the Med/Trans Atlantic Cruise and then will try the RyoalUp.  I think the refundable deposit is great for some and Nonrefundable for other people.  

 

I made the Final Payment for my Parent's and I  two weeks ago so were all set!  I usually call in Final at the 3 week mark just to be safe in case I am busy around the time of Final Payment as the prices never really go down and if they do I will take the Category upgrade. So far our cruises have gone up by $800!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 1:59 PM, APDMOM said:

Sail Away!

 

Some people ask when the cruise really starts for you.  To me, it starts in stages: 

1. Our “print the luggage tags date” 

2. “The packing is done”

3. “We have arrived”

4. Got through security!

5. “Ding!  We are on the ship”

6. Rooms are ready

7. Unpacked!

8. Finally, we are ready to completely relax when the safety briefing dismisses!

 

Here we go...

 

9176BFDC-0474-4F29-B512-941B64ABB056.thumb.jpeg.899e6a5a26f543be01e0a00b257b3818.jpeg

 

C5F1E351-77AC-434C-97FE-C2075E6B69C0.thumb.jpeg.801ae4f60afff4c3ef6de21d1f5adc51.jpeg

 

8E039B11-1D78-4723-8E0B-6C72872A0C10.thumb.jpeg.c72f271130614a864fcc5ee70ce0bca4.jpeg

 

34A9DE07-EF6A-4E87-AD7F-93A6F0904564.thumb.jpeg.cbe2991465432f9dc250b3fae34e6abd.jpeg

 

CAF0CBD0-0918-402F-8D4E-F8DAAF33CFC5.thumb.jpeg.2e5cf7c90538a02500581bc95118f0fd.jpeg

 

C60EF759-4D94-4B4E-8C30-D99B8A69A253.thumb.jpeg.56618b897749b61f5f5a78fbcb8b5efc.jpeg

 

CB54B1BA-BD40-493B-97D9-F19976BCAD3E.thumb.jpeg.62f675bd0075e74d48b5d3ea609762c5.jpeg

 

505FAB48-9245-46FA-A2BF-4D2D46C07B39.thumb.jpeg.5da83b1c45c72bc984a375937d126bb9.jpeg

I already promised myself to purchase one of those Condos or homes along this channel and sail from Port Everglades or Port of Miami). If there is a Hurricane impending I will just fly out West to California(using a rainy day fund) or be on a Cruise during a hurricane and use the delays to my advantage.

 

I would set up an Audio/Video Webcam for the ships coming in and out of the Port and perhaps get a job working for the Pilot Boat or at the Port checking people in with the agreement that I can cruise as often as I want!  

 

If I play my cards right it could work out!  I could even rent out the Condo on AirBnB while I live onbaord the ship and have ti setup so that when I want to be home I will have the Condo for myself. It would be fun hosting Cruise Critic members for a Sailaway Party the night before and allow them to see their ship come in early in the morning! 

 

Would be the best dream in the world!

Edited by travelplus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, APDMOM said:

Oh, you have a treat in store!

 

Unfortunately, I do not have much advice regarding the rest of the questions, especially pricing of the items you mentioned.  

 

Our son does not use the teen programs - mostly hangs out with us, playing mini golf and swimming.  The teen programs on Royal are not quite as structured from my observation and understanding, so it will be helpful if your granddaughter can meet some other teens early on.  Have you checked on your roll call to see if there are other pre-teens around her age?  That is where I would start.

 

If you have iPhones, you can message with the free wifi (if it still works).  That is what we were able to do in November.  You just connect to the free wifi on the ship, and the iPhone texting/messenger app works from one iPhone to another.  Hopefully, Royal has not figured out a way to block this.  😉 Otherwise, you will need a multiple device plan, or use a whiteboard/post it note low tech system.  (Like using a magnetic whiteboard on the cabin door)  You can also call the cabin and leave messages about your whereabouts.  Hope this helps!  🙂 Enjoy your last 3 weeks of planning and packing!  Wish we could go too!!!

 

Thanks for responding so soon. Using the roll call, a few of us with 12/13 year olds have agreed to meet the first afternoon so the kids can get acquainted. I signed up for the slower internet, mostly so our granddaughter can stay in touch with her parents at home. (“What, no streaming?” she said.).  Also signed up for the thrill park at CocoCay and a couple of private excursions that I hope she’ll enjoy. This will be very different from the cruising my husband and I are used to, but it’ll be an adventure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...